Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:22:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKikai I: An Unusual Story
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Kikai I: An Unusual Story  (Read 7709 times)
kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »

Wow, this seems quite innovative in all fronts, I do like the ambition , but keeping a large team on rev share can be tricky. It seems like the machine learning is working great, I've yet to try that and I heard not many games can implement it dynamically, so it's exciting to see it here.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Machine Learning is really fun indeed No No NO
You're also right about the team management part. The good thing is that we've been going along very well. Everyone likes the project and has no problems with communication thankfully. We're working hard to produce some in-game screenshots and eventually some prototypes, stay tuned!

Anyway, your project looks really nice too, we will definitely check it out! Cheers Coffee

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »

Kai & Kira on Slack!

Introduction
After making the kids respond to simple sentences in the previous update, I have come up with the idea of bringing the kids to Slack so everyone in the team could talk to them!

Why?
1. It's fun as hell, to "talk" to the kids through a chat app like that
2. Everyone in the team can have instant access to the kids, which help testing and suggesting processes a lot
3. We can examine, test the kids almost everywhere, like using the Slack App on our mobile phones in the train, etc
4. Updating the kids and running the node server is very straightforward

How?
Slack is amazing! They support building bots greatly so the whole process is pretty straightforward.
First, I made a few tweaks so I could run our Language System program through the command line.

With that, we can now run the program in node environment, with the child_process.execFile function:

Code:
if (fs.existsSync(path_to_program)) {
  execFile(path_to_program, [to, message], (err, stdout, stderr) => {
    if (err) {
      console.error(err);
    } else {
      // send stdout as the reply
    }
  });
} else {
  // hmmm
}

Now adding code to use the Slack's APIs then we're solid.

References
1. Automating a C++ program from a Node.js web app
2. Slack's bot users Introduction
3. Slack Developer Kit for Node.js
4. Slack Building Bots Guide
5. A Super helpful tip. Also, do not forget to add your bots to the channels they need to post messages to first!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:35:51 AM by skyarmor » Logged

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 04:48:03 AM »

Teach the kids English (Part 4)

Introduction
I have improved the whole language system greatly. It now has a rather solid structure and flow, with other supporting systems like the NPCs’ short and long term memories, different contexts, relationships between the characters, etc. I have also added some random factors so the kids won’t respond exactly the same every time.

The Structure/Flow of Conversations
There is a class called ConversationContext which holds the information of each conversation. The most basic information is the participants of the conversation. Apart from that, each said sentence by a character is transformed into a ConversationQuery, which is saved in the ConversationContext and used to help determine the current context, the main subject, etc of the conversation.

These queries are also pushed to the participants, so they can follow each sentence, then decide to stay quiet or respond, “change” or learn new things.
A ConversationQuery holds information like lists of words, adjectives, objects, etc in the sentence, who the sentence is referring to/talking about, etc. These pieces of information are built up from a pure English sentence, to help both the NPCs and the ConversationContext object grasp that sentence.

MS Paint is back!

For example, if the player asks “What color do you like”, that sentence is then converted into a ConversationQuery which looks like:
- the original line: “What color do you like”
- sentence type: question
- list of words: “what”, “color”, “do”, “you”, “like”
- list of objects: “color”
- list of verbs: “do”, “like”
- refer to the speaker: no
- refer to the listeners: yes
(debug information and empty information like list of adjectives is omitted)

This query is then sent to Kai and Kira. If they decide to respond, new queries are created from their responses. All these queries are then pushed to the ConversationContext object. For this example, the kids will know that the player is asking about their favorite color and the main subject of the conversation is also switched to favorite color.
So, how would the kids answer this question?

NPCs
The kids (and possibly more NPCs) will hold a lot of information to themselves. From basic information like name, age,... to information about favorites, likes/dislikes, etc. Apart from their own information, which is always correct, they also hold information of other characters which they think is true. For example, if you tell the kids that you are 27 years old, they will remember your age like that. And these pieces of knowledge are different among individuals. So it’s possible to tell Kai you’re 27 and tell Kira you’re 17. They won’t doubt a thing until they talk about it.

These NPCs also hold values describing their thoughts/feelings towards other characters. For example, Kai’s value for the player will be comfortable, since the player has helped him a ton since the beginning. Kira’s will be uncomfortable because even though the player has helped her a lot too, she just doesn’t trust people that fast. These relationships/thoughts will have huge effects on the conversations between the characters. For example, if you make the kids dislike you, they won’t say a thing to you. Their tone will differ too, so in the beginning, Kira’s sentences are always shorter and colder than Kai’s.

Other notes
1. Most of these kinds of information are stored in std::map, which can then be easily stored in binary files. Eg:
Code:
std::map<EnumCharacter, EnumCharacterRelationship> relationships; 
std::map<EnumCharacter, CharacterInfos> charactersInfos;
struct CharacterInfos {
  std::map<std::string, std::string> basicInfo;
  std::map<std::string, bool> likes;
};

2. Apart from the conversation context and the kids’ knowledge, there’s also a thing called WorldContext which has direct effects on the conversations too. It holds information like what time it is, how cold it is today, is there much food left in the house, etc.

3. I have also added some random factors so the kids won’t respond exactly the same every time. These are only interchangeable phrases for now.

Visual Studio’s Post-Build Event
I knew there must be something like this but haven’t really looked it up until recently. It’s cool.
With it, I can now copy the files automatically to the “Kikai on Slack” folder after each build. So whenever I make a change and rebuild, the files are instantly served without the need to restart the server for Slack bots! It’s very helpful for many other situations as well, try it out soon if you haven’t!

For example, to automatically copy needed files to the server folder for Slack bots:
Code:
xcopy /y "$(TargetDir)$(TargetFileName)" "E:\Projects\Kikai\KikaiSlack"
xcopy /y /e /i "$(ProjectDir)nnet\*.*" "E:\Projects\Kikai\KikaiSlack\nnet\"
xcopy /y /e /i "$(ProjectDir)sentence_type\*.*" "E:\Projects\Kikai\KikaiSlack\sentence_type\"
xcopy /y /e /i "$(ProjectDir)words\*.*" "E:\Projects\Kikai\KikaiSlack\words\"
xcopy /y /e /i "$(ProjectDir)npc\*.*" "E:\Projects\Kikai\KikaiSlack\npc\"

We're distributing the second chapter of the Light Novel personally through messages and emails in a few days now. So if you're interested, please drop a message below! No No NO

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 03:56:32 AM »

Good day everyone. We have completed the second chapter for Kikai the Light Novel, it's called #2: Lily of the Valley. We only distribute it through personal emails and messages for now so if you're interested, please drop a message below or send us an email ([email protected])/message No No NO.

And in case you have missed the Prologue and the first chapter, you can check them out here.

Thank you all very much Coffee!

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 03:01:34 AM »

Teach the kids English (Part 5)

Introduction
It’s been a month (Feb 5-Mar 5) since we started designing, developing and writing articles about our language system. Let’s see how far we've got!

The Current State
-The kids are currently able to distinguish 5 types of sentences: normal sentences, questions, partings, greetings and orders with a vocabulary of around 120-150 words. We train them using a Neural Network with Vanilla Gradient Descent. The current performance on the training data set is 100%.

With a 3 hidden layers Neural Net, we’ve been hitting that 100% accuracy consistently

-The kids can understand and remember basic information of themselves as well as other characters like name, nickname, age, likes, dislikes, etc.

-There are relationships among characters and those relationships will also influence the way the kids speak. For example, at the beginning, Kira’s lines are generally colder than Kai’s.

-There are already random factors added to the kids’ replies, so they won’t respond exactly the same every time.

-The kids are also aware of the world context, like what time it is. So they know that a “good morning” in the afternoon is weird.

-The kids can understand expressions like “I am called Phil”, “People call me Phil”, “Phil is how everyone calls me”, “What are you called”, etc.

-The kids can understand basic contractions like "I’m", "he doesn’t", "she'll", etc.

-The kids can understand basic negative sentences like “My name is not Phil”.

What’s next?
The system is very young, with all features still in early development. We’ve gone a long way since the beginning, but are still very far from our ambition. The number of tasks/issues/ideas is increasing dramatically, reaching over 30 in just a few days. With our language system becoming more and more stable, do expect us to improve a lot every week! Coffee

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »

Teach the kids English (Part 6)

Introduction
Another week has gone by, let’s see how much the kids have improved!

Improvements
1. The kids can now answer yes/no questions about the player/speaker
2. The kids now know that “Dave”, “Murray” and “Dave Murray” can all represent the name of Dave Murray
- Player: My name is Dave Murray
- Kai: Okay
- Player: My name is Dave?
- Kai: Yes

3. The kids have started developing their short-term memories, to remember the context of the conversation. So we can now have the following conversation:
- Player: My name is Phil
- Kira: ...
- Player: And yours?
- Kira: Kira

4. The kids are better at understanding words too. For example, the kids can now recognize “yellow” as a color, without our need to mention the word “color” in the context.
- Player: I like yellow
- Kira: Okay
- Player: My favorite color is?
- Kira: Yellow

5. They also know that a character can have multiple favorites/hates in a single “topic”.
- Player: My favorite color is red and blue
- Player: My favorite color is orange
- Player: My favorite color is?
- Kai: red, blue and orange
- Player: I don't like red
- Player: What is my favorite color?
- Kai: blue and orange

6. The kids now respond as “not know” if the input sentence has too many unknown words to them, instead of guessing wildly previously.
- The player: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
- Kai:

7. The kids now have a better understanding of negative sentences (no, not, etc)

8. The kids have now understood more contractions

9. The kids can now reply with “Met too” and things like that
- Player: I like black
- Kira: Me too

I have also improved the whole language system and the Slack server a lot, fixed many bugs as well.

What’s next?
There are still many tasks, ideas and problems to tackle in the next few months, stay tuned! Coffee

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 01:41:16 AM »

Huh, machine learning in a game. When I first read it, I immediately thought that it would be too unpredicatble and glitchy to reliably control, but it seems like you've had a bit of success! Good luck.

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »

Huh, machine learning in a game. When I first read it, I immediately thought that it would be too unpredicatble and glitchy to reliably control, but it seems like you've had a bit of success! Good luck.

Thanks so much for the kind words man Coffee

Comparing to "fixed AI", these Machine Learning AIs are truly harder to control and test. Luckily, I still lack a lot of experiences and knowledge in Machine Learning so I won't be able to produce something uncontrollable soon. Have to mix in heuristic and other classic techniques to solve problems for now Tongue

Also, I've been able to find many great uses of Machine Learning in games, not just for the in-game AIs, but for the game development itself.
As you can see in an earlier post in the thread, I've linked the in-game AIs to Slack (a chat app). It's like using English to call C++ functions, send requests to servers, or whatever it takes to create a new map, a new character, edit some data, etc.
While fixed commands, web forms, phone apps might be more convenient and secured at the moment, if we mix in a Speech-To-Text API (many free services at the moment), we can check the game status, data or create a new character, etc while our hands are busy making a salad. It might be easier to use to some people too. The pros are still vague, but there are many possibilities to explore.

Also, a friend of mine once asked me how to randomly generate 3D tree models. I have no clues. But some researches from Google, Microsoft, etc suggests that deep neural nets (generative models) can now generate reasonably good 2D pictures. In a few years, we might be able to create game assets using Machine Learning models, which might be able to produce assets with great variances. No more forests with only 2 shapes of tree! It might be not desirable in some cases, but I think it's safe to say that there are many tasks that are closer to hard labor than to creativity. Some of these tasks are not easy enough to be solved by 'linear' programs. Many more problems will become solvable with the help of "better" AIs. We will have to be very careful about securities and control though.

So yeah, working on the technical side of this game is very exciting to me. I've been able to learn a lot. And while I'm not good enough yet, making AIs that can support game development is what I really want to do, especially when I want to create large and deep game worlds, which will require many years of hard work without the help of automation.
Shoot me a message if anyone's interested, I might start it as a side project, soon? No No NO

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »

A (rather) Big Update!

We are very happy to announce that Kikai has turned 100 days old yesterday and still going very strong No No NO!
For this special occasion, we're going to post some of our 3D models and soundtracks for the first time, enjoy! Coffee

We're also very close to finish the third chapter of the Light Novel now. it will be temporarily distributed personally through messages and emails only so if you're interested, please drop a message below or email us at [email protected]!
The third chapter will be #3: The Burning Statues Hand Any Key!

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2017, 03:15:22 AM »

You can read all chapters in better format here, first time loading the site might be a bit slow though Epileptic

#2: Lily of the Valley

I watch the river’s surface with a frown, for once able to let my distress show, since Kai is off catching some crustaceans for dinner. At the rate the water level has been dropping lately, this river could be dried up in less than a month. The last autumn winds are making ripples across the water. Winter -- and with it, the dry season -- is just around the corner.

The river bank is far from town, but provides clean water and food. This has led to a lot of people building shelters alongside it. More and more are gathering here, putting their lives in the hands of this dying river. No rain has fallen since the war broke out. Mother Nature hasn’t listened to our prayers.

“Shit,” I mumble, as an old couple slowly approaches the opposite river bank. They walk with difficulty, leaning on each other to keep going. Even though I now have my own troubles, with two children to take care of, seeing all these struggling people still makes my heart sink. But we will find a new water source.

I keep watching the old couple. My throat feels numb.
Back when I was a young musician desperate for freedom, I dropped out of university and left home to wander. Apart from being a street performer, I also managed to get work as a luthier and a carpenter. I mostly repaired instruments and tools, and never had the chance to build things from the raw materials.
Life was tough, but it was fun. Every day was another day worth living. Even though I ended up in the middle of this war, I’ve never regretted the decision to leave home. I have grown a lot.
That said, I still miss my grandfather every now and then. On the day I left, he was the only one who smiled and wished me luck. But his sad and lonely eyes said something else. He’s getting too old, and I worry about him.

When my thoughts finally come back to reality, the old couple is gone. I call out to Kai. It’s time to go home. The agile boy cheerfully comes to me with a small basket of crabs and freshwater shrimps. It isn’t much, but not everyone has the skill to catch those things by hand. I rub Kai’s head.

We get up early the next day to go find a new water source. Kai leads the way to a mountainside. I feel a bit apprehensive about the possible danger, but the military camp at the forest entrance helps calm my nerves. If we’re lucky, we might find edible mushrooms or even rabbits. Maybe even the painkiller herb that I’ve been taking.
We finally stop when we reach a ten-storey waterfall. I breathe in the fresh air and scenic beauty all around me. Cool winds carry leaves over my head as I get close to the waterfall. It’s still pumping down a lot of water, working hard to maintain this pocket of life in the forest here. The air is thick with moisture. It was a long walk, but worth the effort. Kai moved quickly and confidently on our way here. He must have come to this place a couple of times before.
And we’re not the only guests. The deer, rabbits and other wild animals were all invited. We split into groups, each choosing a private section of the stream from which to enjoy the fresh water.

We start filling our water bottles. One filled bottle later, Kai is already chasing after some rabbits. I sigh, finishing the rest of the work alone. I find myself wondering if Kira would have been that cheerful if she’d been allowed to leave that heavy building. They are twins, after all.

Forests have always felt eerie to me, so we soon head back home.
We’re still in the middle of the forest when Kai abruptly stops. With lightning speed, he plunges into a nearby bush. Someone screams before I can even react. I scramble through the bushes and find Kai pinning a young man face-down on the ground with his mechanical limbs. The unknown man is short and slim, and looks a little younger than me. He doesn’t stand a chance against Kai with that modest body size, so he just screams in anger. He seems to be yelling in the local language so I don’t understand a word. Kai is still on top of him when I get close.
Those eyes! Those distinct purple eyes!
The way he returns my stare confirms everything.
“You are…” I trail off, still stunned.
“Good day, blood brother,” the man replies with mock cheer.

With that, there’s no doubt that we are compatriots. I’m a little shocked, since my tour guide said that I was the only Quaserian in town. The Lcorians living here probably can’t even find Quaseria on a map.

After another glance, I signal Kai to let the Quaserian man go -- he looks harmless anyway. My compatriot suddenly changes his attitude, repeating something to Kai over and over. Judging by his demeanour, he seems to be apologizing. Kai remains hostile, turning his back on the man’s words.
I talk to the man in my native tongue. His name is Riat and he’s been living in Lcori since middle school.

His sudden change in attitude seems strange, but he looks nice and honest overall. Maybe I’m just being paranoid. Any man would be outraged at being attacked and pinned down by some random kid. I loosen up and start talking to him more openly. It’s wonderful to see one of my own countrymen again -- it’s been quite a long time since I last met one.
Riat says that he’s living with other people, including some Quaserians, on a farm further up the mountainside. He asks if Kai and I want to stop by for an early lunch. Apparently the farm is close by, with more than enough food to go around.
I want to trust him.
Centuries ago, our ancestors had to fight the greatest empires of the world to defend our kingdom. Hundreds of years of wars have forged an unbreakable unity and allegiance among our people.
It would feel like treason to turn a fellow Quaserian down, so I accept his offer. Still, I furtively recheck my gun before following his lead. Kai is unhappy, but he falls in behind me.

We soon get to a breathtaking valley, where the rays of the sun are warm and tender.
Thousands of plants and flowers live together in harmony here. Together they grow. Together they form an elegant natural art.
My artistic instinct stirs, making my heart miss a beat. After a deep breath, I slowly look around to find that musical inspiration I’ve longed for. Even Kai has gotten excited, running around to stare at this flower and touch that tree. Riat just stands there with a smile on his face. He seems to understand our feelings.

After walking around a bit, I find some unusual white flowers. Their facedown petals make them look crestfallen and forlorn. The fact that these flowers grow in their own cultivated squares of soil, far from the rest of the plant family, makes the image even stronger. I go closer to get a better look, and my compatriot follows.

“Lily of the Valley,” he says.
“Lily of the Valley?”
“You don’t know these flowers, right?” he continues. “Understandable. These gorgeous flowers don’t grow in Lcori or in our homeland -- their natural habitat is on the other side of the world. We’re the reason they’re here. We’ve been planting them in this valley. Seed transportation is tough, but they’re very easy to grow. A little cold in the air is all they need.”

He pauses and glances at me before continuing. “The flowers are also called ‘Our Lady's Tears’, since they look like a mother’s tears. They’re also as kind as mothers. Eating their petals and berries helps with preventing and healing digestive diseases and heart problems. We also cook their leaves and use them to heal skin diseases. And that scent you’re smelling has benefits too. It’s used to cure headaches and stress.”

It sounds like an exaggeration, but the flower’s scent is truly nice and relaxing.

“We originally came out here to the valley to plant these flowers for selling and exporting. This area is close to three different countries, so deliveries cost less. With the favorable weather and low land price, it was a perfect plan, until the war broke out. Soldiers don’t come all the way here to fight, but all of our deals have been postponed. To survive, we became a self-sufficient community. We were mostly foreigners at first, but more natives have joined us to hide from the war, so it’s been really noisy and fun lately.”

After another pause with another glance, he asks, “So where have you two been living? Wanna join us?”
“Three, actually. There’s a girl too, the boy’s twin. And it seems to be really safe here, but we can’t leave our house. For personal reasons.”

Riat looks at me when I mention Kira. We talk some more before moving on.

Before long, we reach a large farm, filled with dozens of people doing different jobs. Just as my compatriot said, there are many foreigners, and Lilies of the Valley everywhere. We’re led to a big building, right at the farm entrance. My compatriot enters the building first, and then invites us in moments later.

Bread!
It’s a warm bakery with Lilies of the Valley planted in every corner. The smell of the flowers fuses with that of the breads, creating one of the finest scents I’ve ever experienced. The owner is an old lady who can speak both Quaserian and Lcorian. She kindly greets us and shows us around.
It’s still day out, so Riat has to get back to work. He leaves with a wave, and we find ourselves alone in the bakery. I choose a comfortable chair to rest while the old lady shows Kai how to knead flour. The whole atmosphere is very relaxing.

The bakery’s door swings open and a Quaserian kid runs inside. He politely greets me and the old lady before asking if he could stay and have some bread.
The old lady starts preparing one of the loaves. I offer to help but she gently declines. So I relax and let my mind wander again, watching the kids play together. The kind old lady pours some milk for them.
Milk. It’s been forever.

During our warm meal, the old lady keeps asking about Kira and trying to convince me to move here with the kids. I have to politely decline three times before she stops. She says that she lost her granddaughter some years ago and wishes she could have another little girl to take care of, since there are only boys here on the farm.
Her teary eyes make me feel awkward. Kai and Kira might have a better life on this farm, but what if that devil organization finds them here? These kind people would be implicated too. It’s better to protect the kids and find the cure for them myself, at least for the time being. I firmly decline one last time. The old lady still looks sad but changes the subject without another word.
She asks a lot of questions about my disease before preparing some Lily of the Valley berries for me to eat. She makes me eat quite a lot, saying that they will improve my heart’s condition. The berries are a little unpleasant but as the old woman said: “Bitter pills may have blessed effects.” I eat every last one.
The old lady gets more jovial after each story she tells or is told. We continue talking after the kids run off to play. I have to signal them to be quieter every now and then. Time warmly passes by.

We leave close to lunchtime. Riat comes back to make sure we don’t get lost on our way home. We leave the bakery happy and grateful, with some loaves of bread, a bottle of milk, and flowers for Kira. I try to give my countryman some money when we part ways at the valley but he refuses. I insist until he eventually gives in.

As we walk home, I can’t help but feel lucky to have met such good people. Now that I think about it, I probably should have asked the old lady to help me talk to Kai. There are so many things that I want to know.
Kai is moving very fast, like he can’t wait to give the presents to Kira. He will definitely talk a lot too -- about the beautiful valley, its flowers, the nice people... I have the urge to share the story with someone too, so I know how he’s feeling. But I keep a steady pace. Every time Kai goes too far ahead and impatiently turns around to wait for me, I just give him the “give me a break Kai, it’s been a long day, I’m very tired” face.

Kira looks a little worried when we get home later than expected, but Kai’s cheerful voice eases her tense posture. I feel a little sleepy, so I just stand there, watching the kids talk. Suddenly, Kira reacts strongly to Kai’s words. A few sentences later, she hurries to my side and grabs the flowers from my hands without a word. She stares at them tensely before dragging me to the library room. There, she stands on a chair, rummaging for something on the bookshelves. I get anxious as Kira keeps throwing books to the floor. She finally stops, checks some pages, and then brings a book to me, open in the middle.

Page 216. An encyclopedia of plants and flowers written in Quaserian. Images of the elegant Lily of the Valley hit my eyes.

Lily of the Valley.
Summary.
Description, distribution...
Ecology, taxonomy, garden use...
Chemistry…
Chemistry!
All parts of the plant are highly poisonous, including the red berries which may be attractive to children. If ingested, even in small amounts, the plant can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, reduced heart rate, blurred vision, drowsiness, red skin rashes and possible death.

Each word feels like a sharp knife stabbing into my heart. The Quaserians, the sweet scents, the kind old lady... I haven’t even fully realized what has happened before my eyes get blurry. I feel dazed and confused. Then my mind goes blank, as if someone had turned off a switch. Everything fades to black.

You can read all chapters in better format here.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:59:19 AM by skyarmor » Logged

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »

You can read all chapters in better format here, first time loading the site might be a bit slow though Epileptic

#3: The Burning Statues

“Are you fine? Did you absorb much smoke?” an impassive voice asks, coming from deep inside the prison room.

Apart from a diagonal strip of moonlight cutting across the room through a small window, the whole room is just cold black. I glance around to find the speaker but I can’t see anything.
His pronunciation is a bit off, and his word choices seem weird. Is he a Lcorian? Having just been imprisoned, my mind is still scattered, so I  just reply reflexively. “Who are you?”

“I am father of Naki, the girl you put on fire.”
I feel my stomach tighten. “I didn’t kill her!”
“Do not worry. She burn to death before too.”

I don’t understand what the hell this man is talking about, but he doesn’t seem to care. A huge silhouette slowly appears from beneath the window.
My throat goes numb when I see the burly man. His right arm is horribly burned and his left is tattooed with one of the lion-like beasts that caused my imprisonment.

This morning, I went to the center of town with the kids to get supplies.
The war had cooled down a bit, and the fighting had become less dire. The enemy had lost the advantage of surprise, allowing the defense force to rally. Under great leadership, they were starting to win. Even so, after the heavy losses on both sides, everyone had become more careful and reluctant.

Relief efforts were increasing all over. Apart from the supply counters, there were many programs that directly took care of people in distress, worked to clean up and helped the community recover from the consequences of the war. We had received a lot of support before, so I wanted to personally join some of these programs as a means to give back to the community.

Kira came along too. The local authority had been supplying milk and eggs for children since the previous week, but I’d wanted Kira to be in perfect health before she went outside, so we’d had to wait. This time, it had taken six days before she’d fallen asleep again, but we’d had no choice. While the soldiers were usually calm, the townspeople tended to be noisy and frenzied. The outside was too overwhelming for her when she was that drained. It was sad to see how tense she got when we left the lab. Her brother was as joyful as ever. He pointed out just about everything we found on the way, from the mud under our feet to the clouds in the sky.

We had lunch right after receiving our supplies. From our spot underneath an old banyan tree, we watched the Lcorians on the street. It was already time for midday break, but they were still working together to transport supplies and repair the street. In the distance, a boy helped an old man push a scrap cart. Despite their unorganized working style, the way they helped each other reminded me of my own people.

After the short break, we helped with the cleaning operation and lent our assistance in taking care of the patients at the biggest temple in town. With its spacious area and tranquil setting, it had become the gathering spot for more and more people since the enemy had pulled back. A huge temporary clinic had been set up inside, and it needed a constant stream of volunteers. Wounded soldiers were also being treated there, so the whole temple was well-secured.

That was where we met Naki. She was the one who showed us the ropes. During our tour, Naki told us that she was 17 years old, and that she and her aunt had come to this border town to volunteer with the relief efforts. She had smooth skin with no burn scars to be found.

In the cold air of the prison cell, the man speaks again. “I am called Eno. What about you?”
What the man said about Naki sounds ridiculous, but the fact that he knows her name and my situation makes me nervous.
“Just tell me who you really are.”
“I just say. I am Eno.”

I stare at the man for a little while before sitting down heavily. I put my head on my knees. The only thing I can feel now is my own heavy breath.

“You are very lucky. They trick you to steal your children, like they steal my daughter long ago. But do not worry, our people bring the kids here and look after them. You are free tomorrow and after that, you can get your children back.”

I stay silent.

“You do not understand anything yet, right?” A pause. “That is right, how can you know? That is the way our world is since the beginning. We only know what we are allowed to know. How horrible.

“What do you think of this war? The town people must be flaming mad, but we are not. If this sudden war did not come, then horrible civil war come instead. Some say that some government bosses begged neighbor countries to attack us so they gain more control over national army. This war is also used to hurt evil organizations with great international relationships, since lots of critical border gates are closed now.

“The prison boss has higher rank in government than town’s mayor. He is informed of wars through his relationships, and told to leave Lcori for some time. But he stay here to build up army and fight to protect home town. He is respectable and likeable man. He visit each prison cell and talk to every single prisoner here. Some are angry or insane, but everyone is treated well.

“Everything is still done good on paper: they write who comes in, who goes out. It is all carefully done to keep up the pretend. But truth is that prison has become small army camp for last six months. We are taught how to use weapons, basic fight plans and groupings. There are many tough guys here, for this is one of biggest prisons in country. Because of them, small-time brats are starting to shape up too. We have fearless tough guys, but no good weapons or group fighting experience. Prison boss is trying his best to establish more relationships with army groups close to here to fix it.”

The man pauses for a second. Seeing my impassive reaction, he continues.

“Excuse me if I been rambling, but I am always passionate when talking about things I care about, and they ask me to explain situation to you. Thing we want to tell you the most is to be careful. From children to old people, not trust anyone right away. Children you are taking care of are not normal, they can be target of many different organizations. Each has its own reasonings, but most are run by bad people. It is religious organization that targets you, and my family back then. We still not know what they really want. Lab that you three live in maybe product of other highly dangerous organization. We can look after you for while but I not know how much we can help. When war ends, we can get you three to Quaseria. For now, you have to be more careful. With current crazy situation, we not have people who can act outside of prison. We also cannot do whatever we want to. We cannot follow you all day, so you have to be careful not to be tricked by child like Naki again.”

“I’ve been investigating these organizations myself, you know,” I answer, a little annoyed. Eno raises an eyebrow and I sigh. “Look, it seems like you have good intentions, but how do I know you’re not lying? How do you know so much about us? How can Naki be your daughter? And you said that she burned to death before, but she was still fine when I saw her.”

“I am really the father of Naki. And I see her burned corpse after our house burn down three years ago.

“Me and my wife had daughter. She was called Reena, before she died in fire and got reborn into name Naki. We also lived in northern part of Lcori, but not so close to border as this place. I was miner working so far from home that I travel on train. But our little family was happy back then.

“One day, group of strangers visit our mine. They represent huge corporation, which want to buy industrial zone. They say that deal was made in single night. Two days later, they order us to return home, so specialists can inspect systems. Our new boss give us one month money as bonus and promise to raise our money if we work hard. We hand mine over to specialists in morning and go drinking in afternoon. We only stop when sun go down, so drunk that we lean on each other to get to train station.

“Despite sleeping whole way home, I still feel dizzy when I leave train. Neighborhood very noisy. I find out fast that there is big fire. And it start at my house.

“I not even care about neighbors nearby, I just hurry inside my burning house. There is no one in living room, just huge fire. Furniture disordered, and staircase to second floor blocked. I feel even more dazed. I scream my wife name, my daughter name. I think I hear voice calling back, so I turn and see our two Cenghon statues burning. They stare at me with bitter eyes. Then wooden pillar fall over, hitting my back. I think I hear words come from the burning beasts before I pass out.

“When I wake up, I am outside and doctor is working on arm. I have horrible head pain, and pain on right side of body. When I turn my head I see burned bodies of wife and daughter. I want to die. That I still live today is miracle. Pain still feels same.”

His voice cracks every time he mentions his wife. After a longer pause than usual, he continues.

“I check dead bodies very carefully. Bodies and face shapes are very well known to me. Doctor also say that they are wife and daughter. But my friend disagree. He say that there is hair left in head of wife, but no hair in head of Reena. He say dead body of daughter is fake, with pretend details.”

“I remember every detail of Naki’s corpse,” I say. “It didn’t have any hair either. So that wasn’t really her?”

“Probably not,” he says, shaking his head. A pause. “There are mystery fires everywhere in country at that time. Most victims are religion followers, especially bigger ones like our family. We had many statues and closet-big altar in house. Only result of horrible actions is death of our religion. The underground world know what organization is behind fires but even they not know their motives. Our religion is very good and young. We are taught to value family, friends and giving back to people who help us. There is no good reason to kill it. Once I find truths, I rebuild our religion with Reena. Religion is only thing that can help me live with death of wife. I still pray for her every day. I might not be very smart, but after my struggle life, maybe I can continue work of my fathers one day. I mark this Cenghon onto left arm to remind myself every day. They are sacred beasts in Lcorian legends. They help us look after homes and temples. Our religion reveres them and pray for blessings. It is sad that they seem to be responsible for deaths of so many innocent people. But I still believe that one day I can show them to be innocent. They hold bitter eyes when they burn that day. But you know, you can get very angry when you are sad and desperate.”

“I still don’t understand,” I say. “How do you know that Naki is your daughter, Reena?”

“I meet her in this town. She recognize me too and then run away. When I chase after her, some kid stop me. He must be working with some powerful people if he is happy to attack man my size with bare hands. I so unsettled that when boy hit me in face, I nearly kill him when I hit back. When I am done with him, Naki is gone and people bring me to this prison.

“Reena is very nice and gentle girl, I cannot understand why she run away from me, or why she is involved with horrible organization. I ask one of the men here to watch her for me. He approach her more and more now. They must suspect something and now use this incident to send her somewhere else. I lose her tracks again, but I am happy to know she is still safe and sound. I pray for her safety every day. And I will punish anyone who use her for their own plans.”

The man hesitates before showing me a small photograph of his family. The girl in the picture is definitely Naki. Even though she has grown a lot in the last three years, she still looks just like her mother.

“Why did you guys help us?” I ask, as I hand back the photograph to Eno.
“We are good people and we hate the evil powers that control country out there.”
“Can I trust you?”
“We help you without any conditions.”
“I’m still not sure I understand.  Are you saying there is a bunch of evil people targeting the children?”
“Yes, we investigate your kids. They come from orphanage. No legal papers or family. No one even know how they get to orphanage or if they even Lcorian. If they do not have any relationships here, they should go and start better life somewhere else.”
“We can't just leave right away. There are still things to be done here.”
“While war is going on, risk is still low. You are fine if careful enough. We not have many people who can act freely outside and there are too many people who need our help. You are still person your children should lean on. I not think organisation attack you directly now, so just make sure not to let them trick you.”
“I see. Thank you.”

We stop talking for a while. Eno returns to his bed, back into darkness. I’m still sitting here, dazed and confused.

“What is Naki like?” Eno asks.
“She is very polite and nimble. Works hard but does not talk much. She has a very beautiful face that I kinda like looking at. When no one is around, she usually has this melancholy and worried expression that I find very attractive.”
The man laughs really loudly. “She has beautiful eyes, does she not?”
“The most beautiful ones I have ever seen.”
“Her grandmother is Quaserian. The first time I met wife, I was speechless because of her beautiful eyes too. It is so unfortunate that Reena also has my ugly blood.” Eno laughs again.
“It’s alright. She does not look like you at all.”
“You are brave young man,” the huge man says, and we laugh again. “Anyway, do you know anything more?”
“She told us that she came from a distant town with her aunt, to help the people suffering from war. We mostly talked about the work. We just met today, so we haven’t really shared anything personal.”
“Does she signal anything unusual? Like SOS?”
“I’m pretty sure she didn’t.”
“I see... I will definitely save Reena from whatever bind her.”

I want to encourage him to continue, but he starts talking again before I can come up with anything.

“Other bed is empty. You should get some sleep. It has been long day for you, has it not? I will lead you to children tomorrow morning, and then have talk with prison boss. I will translate and then you can go home with kids.”
“Can I really leave that easily?”
“Our man plead guilty and get locked here instead of you. Don’t worry about him. He is glad to finally join friends in here.”
“Thank you.”
“Do not mind, we just follow hearts.”
I gratefully thank him for one last time before finding my way to the bed. It’s very comfortable, too good for a prison cell.
Lying down, the memories of what happened today come back to me.

We did volunteer work at the clinic in the afternoon. Kai and Kira wanted to help too, so we assigned them some easy tasks. They soon finished and then ran off to play somewhere. The rest of us continued to work non-stop until well after sundown. We were invited to have dinner and stay the night at the temple. It was way safer than returning to the lab.

After dinner, we were taken to a small room that we would share with an old nun. Kai was tired after a long day of running around, so he went to sleep early. Kira just sat alone in a dark corner with her favorite doll as always. Instead of going to bed, I spent a while reflecting on some things that were weighing on my mind. Some time later, I felt my body complaining, so I lay down to go to sleep. I really needed the rest after the day's work.
Around an hour later, there were weird noises coming from the door, waking both me and the nun. There was a shadow under the door, but no one knocked or said anything. Maybe it was someone waiting for our reply. With that in mind, I went to open the door. The shadow disappeared when I got close, and when I opened the door, I saw a shadow running off. Feeling both curious and unsettled, I signaled the nun to stay with the kids and then chased after the fleeing shadow.

It moved very fast, but stopped to wait for me every now and then. I had brought my gun and told myself to turn back if the shadow got too far away. I stopped when I reached a courtyard. The shadow was gone. It must have slipped down one of the many halls. In front of me was a gloomy temple room that grabbed my attention. I stared at it from a safe distance. With a flicker, light started coming from inside. I crept a bit closer and found two burning statues. Both of them depicted a creature I had never seen before, looking like a cross between a lion and a dog.
The fire spread quickly. I rushed through the doorway and called out to make sure there was no one inside. Looking back, my actions had been unusually brave.  It’s like I hoped that something would happen when I chased after that shadow.

After a few moments looking through the burning room and not getting any replies, I had to get out. I should have called for help, but all I did was stand in front of the temple room, dumbfounded. The burning beasts stared back at me with their fiery eyes. There was something unusual about this flame. It was elegant and mesmerizing.
The inferno roared, and soon there were dozens of people gathered to extinguish it. It seemed to take forever to put out. Afterwards, everyone was tired and angry. They found a horribly burned corpse inside the room.
The coroner who inspected the body declared that it was Naki, and Naki’s aunt burst into tears. A few people came to me and started speaking in aggressive tones. I was obviously being blamed for the fire. I tried to tell them that I was innocent, but they just kept saying words that I didn’t understand and then handcuffed me. As they manhandled me out of the temple, I saw Kai and Kira being dragged by two soldiers following behind us. I was shaking in shock and fear.

Now that I know the kids are safe, I’m flooded with relief. It was a horrible incident but it could have ended up way worse. I should be grateful that these people chose to save us.

I try to avoid thinking about the evil organizations behind all this. It’s all still too frightening and overwhelming right now. I need a good night’s rest.
When I’m finally ready to sleep, I can hear long mumbles from Eno’s bed. I can’t catch any words but he’s probably saying prayers in Lcorian. I hold my breath for a moment.

What a weird country this is. If I ever make it back to Quaseria safely, I’ll have to sue that goddamned travel agency for recommending this place.

You can read all chapters in better format here.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 01:59:58 AM by skyarmor » Logged

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:28 AM »

After a long time working in silence, it's our great pleasure to announce that the project is still alive and going stronger than ever. We're going to release the first demo this December and post frequent updates too, stay tuned!  No No NO
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:22:06 PM by skyarmor » Logged

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »

One of the main areas in the first installment of Kikai is this public laboratory, the first stealth level takes place there too. We're working hard to finish this facility and the stealth level, which will be featured in the first alpha-release of the game this December.
More details and actual development log coming soon, stay tuned! Coffee

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 07:07:58 AM »

It's Kikai's birthday today and the concept has finally turned one year old!
We're still progressing rather slowly, but steadily, looking forward to an alpha-release in mid-February.
A special shout-out to Nedim and Olga, who have joined us since early November; and Lucas, who has been working very hard on the visuals of the game (see the screenshots!).

More details coming soon, stay tuned! Coffee

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »

Good day everyone, it's my great pleasure to introduce Ian -- our animator who has joined since mid January. He and Lucas have formed a superb team developing the kids' model and animations. It was an exciting experience seeing the kids coming to life inside our game, bye bye soulless mannequins!
Although we had to extend the first prototype's release to early June, we expect to have regular updates till then, stay tuned! Coffee

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 06:31:35 AM »

Good day everyone, it's been a while.
From now on, we're going to post development videos at least once a month, stay tuned!

For the first video, we showcase a few rooms of our public laboratory as well as some simple interactions, enjoy No No NO!

p/s: everything is still wip

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 02:02:17 AM »

We display the Radiation Area in this month's development video, stay tuned for more!

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2018, 07:29:55 PM »

We shoot looters in this month's development video, stay tuned for more!

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 02:31:10 AM »

We showcase more game mechanics in this video.
Can't wait to demonstrate the kids' Machine Learning AI in the upcoming ones!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:04:46 AM by kikai » Logged

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 02:23:44 AM »

Happy New Year!

Today we showcase the ghost mode, an addition to the usual Play Mode in the first prototype.
In this mode, the AIs won’t notice the player anymore and just act on their own while the player turns into a ghost roaming around watching them. This is a good tool to inspect how the AIs work independently, especially how the kids grow and act differently after interacting with the player in the Play Mode.

Other improvements since the last update:
- More level work with expanded areas
- Add partitions, memos and other paper models
- Share more logic among characters
- Make the looters handle doors
- Improve the kids’ skeletal mesh and animations
- Improve the AIs’ movement
- Improve doors’ functionality
- Make receiving damage from the looters’ bat more realistic and consistent
- Make the main characters ragdoll when die
- Fix some level streaming issues
- Fix a minor freeze near the beginning of each play
- Fix some corner cases when detecting if we can shoot a looter

Stay tuned for more!

p/s: everything is still wip, hence the dumb looters!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 02:32:18 AM by kikai » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic