Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:20:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioIs my music ok to start composing for games?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is my music ok to start composing for games?  (Read 1331 times)
DaniloAyres
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:29 AM »

Hi there!

I am Danilo Ayres, a geek composer from Brazil!

I Joined this forum, so I can start to collaborate composing for other geek's game-projects!   Beer! Wink
But of course, I still have some doubts about my music!
I would love if you guys could give me some feedback and even some advice, if it's possible! Cheers.

Music   Hand Point Right www.daniloayres.com

Danilo Ayres - Game Music Composer

Check me out: www.daniloayres.com
Jed_Crouch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »

I listened to a couple of your orchestral pieces (the spy and crime ones) and they were great! Just remember though, people want a realistic sound from their orchestral scores. Make sure you are always mindful of your virtual instrumentalists and dont fall into the trap of perfectly quantising every note. Add some subtle differences for richness!

Also, the logic pro x sounds are reasonable, but predictable! There are loads of free/cheap orchestral samples out there!

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch

Send me your music portfolio for critique! Smiley
DaniloAyres
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:45:58 AM »

Also, the logic pro x sounds are reasonable, but predictable! There are loads of free/cheap orchestral samples out there!

I must say! You have a great ear! The samples used on the orchestral page, are from logic! You're right! In fact I haven't finished the orchestral material! The orchestral music there, are just ideas that I registered for me to come back later and re-procude!

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Cheers Beer!

Jed_Crouch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »

That's great. It's great to write music and leave it for a while to let it grow!

https://soundcloud.com/jed-crouch

Send me your music portfolio for critique! Smiley
s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 10:03:20 AM »

These tracks are a great start. I love the legit classical guitar stuff. That shit is hard to play! Nicely done.

If I may offer some constructive criticism, I'd tell you, the master should be compressed and limited more to be competitive with todays standards. Check the levels on your electronic tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/destructo?in=stevenharriton/sets/electronic

This is an example of what I'm trying to communicate. Watch the meters. You really want to have the track hitting -10 to -8 RMS. People equate louder with better. I wish they didn't, but they do. It's the reason why everyone over the past 10 years has started compressing more and more and more. Just my 2c.

Also, when you mix that cool nylon string guitar with your orchestra, if you use a utility reverb that you can put on all the tracks, it will help them feel like they belong together. The added verb makes them feel like they might be in the same room. Also, I'd meter the 1-2k range on your nylon string parts. A lot of times I limit those frequencies on guitar. Sometimes you can notch it out with EQ.

Keep up the good work Smiley Hope that was helpful

DaniloAyres
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:15:20 AM »

These tracks are a great start. I love the legit classical guitar stuff. That shit is hard to play! Nicely done.

If I may offer some constructive criticism, I'd tell you, the master should be compressed and limited more to be competitive with todays standards. Check the levels on your electronic tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/destructo?in=stevenharriton/sets/electronic

This is an example of what I'm trying to communicate. Watch the meters. You really want to have the track hitting -10 to -8 RMS. People equate louder with better. I wish they didn't, but they do. It's the reason why everyone over the past 10 years has started compressing more and more and more. Just my 2c.

Also, when you mix that cool nylon string guitar with your orchestra, if you use a utility reverb that you can put on all the tracks, it will help them feel like they belong together. The added verb makes them feel like they might be in the same room. Also, I'd meter the 1-2k range on your nylon string parts. A lot of times I limit those frequencies on guitar. Sometimes you can notch it out with EQ.

Keep up the good work Smiley Hope that was helpful

Hey, Steven! Thanks for the constructive criticism.

I have much to learn yet. I listened to your tracks also! They all sound great. Is it ok if I hit your email with some questions about mixing and mastering?

Thanks a lot.

s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

Sure

NEM907
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »

I think it is much better then anything I could ever do for game music. I also think it would make great game music as it doesn't distract the player from playing the game and most of the music could easily loop without it sounding really weird. Also if it is possible could I use some of your music in my games if I mentioned you on a credits page?
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 04:06:50 AM »

I think it lacks direction. You seem to have your theory set pretty straight, but it lacks any artistic integrity. I'm not trying to harp on you, but it might just be a lack of experience that conveys this to me. You know how to get VSTs and put things together that make sense harmonically, it just lacks any sense of realness. One of the things I noticed is that you seem to saturate your soundscape a lot. You're afraid of using silence and letting the listener really take in what you just threw at them.
You also lack anything defining. I have the feeling that you don't really put anything in for a personal reason, to make it stand out because you liked it. It just sounds awfully formulaic, but in an amateurish way.

zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »

Hey Danilo, I think your stuff sounds good!

I guess I completely disagree with Torchkas damning critique, but to each his/her own.

Anyway, I lost my direction and artistic integrity long, long ago, so if this is truly the case, welcome to the club, we're a friendly folk Wink

Hit me up anytime to nerd out and discuss the frustrations of reaching that sub -8db RMS.

-Brian

DaniloAyres
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »

Hey Danilo, I think your stuff sounds good!

I guess I completely disagree with Torchkas damning critique, but to each his/her own.

Anyway, I lost my direction and artistic integrity long, long ago, so if this is truly the case, welcome to the club, we're a friendly folk Wink

Hit me up anytime to nerd out and discuss the frustrations of reaching that sub -8db RMS.

-Brian

Dudeeeee!!! I needed that comment of yours... LOL  Beer! Cheesy

It was hard to take Torchkas's "constructive criticism". Hahaahh..

But man I'm here to learn! I know I still have a lot to do in my music.
Actually, none of the tunes of the website are finished! For example, the orchestral stuff are just ideas for me to come back to.

I listened to some of your songs, they were very good and the sound quality is great!   Beer!
Must say I've been listening to many composers from this forum
I feel that I have a lot to keep up with you guys. Primarily on the sound engineering aspect.
I feel like nowadays the sound quality comes first! There's no point on having a good music that sounds like crap.
But I want to get better at composing as well.

We'll definitely keep in touch!   Cheers..  Toast Left

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic