Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:13:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95141 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: April 28, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »

ah, i see. you can change the text speed in the options, and by pressing the next text box button it instantly shows all the text in a textbox (the way it works in most jrpgs). but if you don't like waiting you can set it in the options to instantly display all the text. there's lots of different options

e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 10, 2012, 03:38:10 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1DYVMaRCVs

e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 10, 2012, 03:48:33 AM »

gf11221
« Reply #343 on: July 10, 2012, 04:00:05 AM »

Crazy
orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 10, 2012, 04:49:58 AM »

I second that, gf11221!

Crazy

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 10, 2012, 05:23:29 AM »

Most impressive. Considering it's Game Maker, it's double OMFG.

Yeah.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: July 10, 2012, 05:37:07 AM »

It's looking rather pretty indeed ... Hand Clap

... but oh so strange.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2012, 07:48:10 AM »

eva forgot to post this original teaser-trailer:

i'm going to work on a full-length trailer still (i recorded a bunch of footage for it already) but i want to wait until dream mode is finished before finishing that trailer

anyway, update: i've been working on "dream mode" still; it's been going slower than i anticipated (but it's hard to predict how long something will take to finish). i took breaks from it to work a bit on the music (with others who are helping me arrange it), and on the gui (a box that tells you which function is equipped, some hearts which tell you different info depending on which mode you're in)

there are 202 tasks left on the masker task list (down from 840 of them back last april when i originally created a list of tasks necessary to finish the game). the remaining tasks are grouped like this:

dream mode tasks: 87
exploration mode tasks: 29
art/music resources tasks: 15
options menu / options features tasks: 7
polishing/aesthetic tasks: 32
performance/bugs tasks: 5
playtesting/balancing/open/misc tasks: 12
demo/installer/marketing/release tasks: 15

so as you can see, the last major grouping is dream mode tasks, which makes up 43% of the remaining work to be done on the game, and i plan to concentrate on those until that's over with in a few months, after that the rest of the tasks should be just clean-up / much easier, then it'd go into beta testing for a while, then release (my guess would be release late this year, around oct/nov/dec, but my guesses have been wrong before)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:00:48 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2012, 08:15:04 AM »

Looking amazing, the Paralysis trailer oozes atmosphere. Exploration shmup with a interesting story? Epileptic

However, I do have a few issues with what I've seen from the trailers. The music for the Lake Rises trailer really doesn't fit, and the one for the Paralysis trailer only marginally works. I'm worried about this, as I think music will either make or break this game.

I'm going to comment on the writing seen in Paralysis, because though you do say it's not final, it doesn't seem to be on your tasklist. And it needs work. The story itself however, seems both original and strong, so I really wish the final text does it justice by not being as dry as in the trailer. If you want someone to look over it, I'd be happy to help!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2012, 08:22:59 AM »

it is on the task list in the 'resources' part actually (i include text as sort of a resource), and do have a professional writer / editor editing the script (he also wrote the first draft of some of the scenes) but if you have any specific recommendations for edits/changes to the text i'll pass it along to him to help him in the editing process. but i think it'd be hard for an outsider to help with specific issues regarding it since the writing in part relies on a full knowledge of the story / characters. for instance, the dryness you speak of is intentional, because mercedes (who is narrating for much of that trailer) is supposed to be a dry / scientific character. it'd be out of character for her to speak much differently, since it's an important part of the story that she talks like that. other characters speak differently

orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »

I'd say that even scientists speak less robotic than that, but your right, I don't know the character and it's nice that you do have justification. I also listened to a music sampler video, don't know how old it is, but it sounds pretty tight. So I'm not going to comment further on that until I see it in game Smiley

I'm pretty torn with helping out actually, I'd like to help, but checking your script might spoil the game for me! Crazy

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »

what i'd suggest is that you can be a beta-tester in a few months (along with others who have expressed interest in this thread), and then, after you play through the game, or as you play through it, you'd be able to make specific recommendations about what to improve

also, the script is non-linear, so it probably wouldn't make sense apart from the game. it's about 200 pages but divided up into about 900 individual files, most of which can be read in any order. the story was designed to make sense no matter what order you read it in, because the game is non-linear, but it's also procedural in that particular types of game events bring up particular dialogue. so reading 'the script' separate from the game isn't really possible, because it'd make no sense alone, so that's why i think it's better to play it during beta testing and read it along with the game

orihaus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2012, 08:47:53 AM »

Sure! I'd love to help test and give you feedback if your interested. My email is orihaus [at] gmail [dot] com if you feel like sending anything over. :D

Uykered
« Reply #353 on: July 22, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »

Did you decide on voice acting yet?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: July 22, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »

not yet; my main thought is that i may add it after release, in a later patch. i don't want to delay the game just for voices, but i do think it'd add a lot to the game and want to eventually add it. plus, after the game is on sale and making money, i'd be able to afford to pay voice actors

basically i have a bunch of tasks that i want to do by launch, but i also have a secondary, loose wish-list set of tasks that i want to do *after* launch, for improvement patches, and voice acting currently is in that second group of tasks

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: July 22, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

SD uses a system that i don't think very many (or any, to my knowledge) other GM games use, in that the entire world is persistent; the location of every object, the color of every blade of grass, all of that can be changed and if you leave the area and come back it's just as you left it. the only things that aren't persistent are temporary stuff like projectiles that disappear after a limited time

basically there's a script i have to save the room state and load the room state. it goes through every object and saves all their data to file. it's the same thing used in the level editor (SD has an internal level editor within the game, i don't use the GM room editor)

basically the game saves two 'copies' of the world -- the 'default' world that's the way it is when you start the game, which is loaded from if the player enters a room and has not been to that room yet. and the player's 'personal' world which is saved to a different folder, after a player has been to an area

the drawback of this method is that each save file can get very large (as large as the world data). i think if you explore everything, your save file would be like 10MB large, since it's storing the state of every object in the game in your save folder. but i don't think that's that much of a drawback considering how big hard drives are these days

i wouldn't necessarily recommend this method for every type of game however. in some games it won't work, because you don't *want* everything to be persistent in some types of games (e.g. puzzle games). but because SD is so loose/non-linear it works for this game in particular

the more traditional way to do what you describe is to have what are called flags. each treasure chest, door, or whatever, would have a unique flag that is saved to file (just basically a huge array that can be either true or false). if a flag is off, the default state is used (door closed, treasure unopened) if it's on, the other state is used (door open, treasure closed). basically you'd give each door/treasure/etc. a number, and make sure it's unique. say, between 0 and 32000. that's your array element. then have a global array that you save to file and load from file (gml scripts which let you save/load arrays to file are pretty easy to write, but i could send you mine if you need it)

Uykered
« Reply #356 on: July 22, 2012, 10:05:27 PM »

You could add a secret option of just you doing every voice, that way there will still be voice acting at launch.
rdein
« Reply #357 on: July 22, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »

@Gabriel: global variables?

also
definitely do this:
You could add a secret option of just you doing every voice, that way there will still be voice acting at launch.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: July 23, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »

i don't see how they'd be any more likely to accidentally delete the folder that contains their save files as they would be to accidentally delete the folder that contains the game's sprites, or the folder that contains the game's music. i don't encrypt them no

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 23, 2012, 12:46:53 AM »

Stop teasing us already!

Yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic