Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:31:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 94709 times)
e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »

Stop teasing us already!
no
Conker534
« Reply #361 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »

Woah pretty.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 24, 2012, 03:18:58 AM »

I really hope that some of that scenery has animations.

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: July 25, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »

depends on what you mean by animations. there are videos of the game in motion (though probably not that particular area)

briefly about the animation: most tiles only have one frame (although some have particle effects, and some bob up and down in the water and move around if they are floating, and lilypads rotate). the reflections of the objects wave in the water, and those leaves float around etc. most creatures have multiple frames and different parts which are animated separately; the ship is set up of 3 parts which rotate and move with respect to each other. and there's a lot of particle effects to give some things the illusion of animation (for instance, a lantern that sparkles, moving things causing particle splashes on the water, etc.)

in general though the game is very big so we tried to do what we could, which often meant having two different types of trees instead of a tree with frames of animation. it doesn't use aquaria's animation system (that paper doll thing) exactly, but aquaria was similar in having a lot of static art with some animation effects / lots of particles and fullscreen visual effects (like sunlight rays and clouds overhead and rain effects and water texture effects and stuff). so in general, map tiles only have a single frame of animation, but despite that, the screen rarely looks static, there's always a of visual variation going on. i'd love to have the resources to make leaves of a tree shake in the wind or when a tree is rammed into by the ship or whatever, but the game is taking six years to complete as it is

if anyone cares, currently the game has:
- 76 songs
- 121 soundscapes
- 159 sound effects
- 88 sprites (images with more than one frame of animation)
- 32 water textures
- 461 map tiles (static images)
- 856 areas (will probably be 1000 before release)

zipped it's about 400mb, installed it's about 700+ mb
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:52:16 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 25, 2012, 02:04:20 PM »

paul let me and arthur do your voice acting
ink.inc
« Reply #365 on: July 25, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »

holy shit yes
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: July 25, 2012, 02:41:42 PM »

will consider it; i think you'd be a good fit as theo actually (some of his lines are variations of yours, i read through your twitter account to get ideas when writing his dialogue)

the main problem tho is that the main two characters, and three characters total, are female. it's easier to get male voice actors than female for an indie game

e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »

dont page me dum
e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 25, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »

there now i go silent for a month
e_va
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 25, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »

I really hope that some of that scenery has animations.

the animated water in this is kool as hell except its barely visible in the videos... bump up dat efect erez. ok bye
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 25, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »

will consider it; i think you'd be a good fit as theo actually (some of his lines are variations of yours, i read through your twitter account to get ideas when writing his dialogue)

the main problem tho is that the main two characters, and three characters total, are female. it's easier to get male voice actors than female for an indie game
im fully aware that there are female characters in the game, and thats why it should just be me and arthur. no girls allowed.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 25, 2012, 03:15:19 PM »

some of his lines are variations of yours, i read through your twitter account to get ideas when writing his dialogue)
hahaha your game is terrifying
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: July 25, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »

it should just be me and arthur. no girls allowed.
bros before hoes  Tiger Bro Fist Right

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: September 09, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »

isn't this that game where that dude went berserk on twitter?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: September 09, 2012, 11:42:12 AM »

isn't this that game where that dude went berserk on twitter?

ya, but eva isn't a "dude". and i guess it worked, since you've now heard of the game?

anyway i haven't had an update in the game for a while, so here's some more info:

still working on dream mode, recently finished porting all of the creatures (except for 5 remaining bosses) into dream mode, and finished making all the 10 weapons in dream mode's charge attacks; basically the mechanics of dream mode are done, but it still needs the levels and a little more polish, which is what i'll be working on for the next month or two

here's some new screenshots:

the entrance to the dream mode level shown in the following screenshots

testing damage numbers (effect subject to change, as with all these images)

working on the effect for dream mode messages (game over / warning / victory)

the zig engine/missiles weapon

the chain cleaner weapon (normal version)

the chain weapon (charge version)

part of the dialogue at the start of that dream level

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

You know, I love the style, but I'm not sure if these particles really fit. Especially those from chain weapon's charge version. First of all, they are very soft while the rest of the game is in sharp pixel art style. But that's a minor thing. What bothers me more is that they look as if you just pumped out so many flares that they added up to a pure white blot.

Try using custom sprites, have at least two per effect, and generally use less of them. It looks better that way and also is faster.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: September 09, 2012, 12:10:46 PM »

i think i mentioned this before, but i'm not sure how to make custom sprites for particles -- e.g. how would you make them? could you give examples of some of them? what program would you use to make them, and what would they look like?

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: September 09, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »

When you define a particle in GameMaker, you may make it use one of the default shapes, or just assign a sprite to it using part_type_sprite function. Making your own sprites for flares, smoke, etc. gives you much more control over the style of your particles and should look much better right away. For example - instead of using pt_shape_sphere you could make a nice pixel art blob.

This is my flame sprite for example:

Another important thing is to use several different particles and sprites per effect. Otherwise it looks artificial and quickly burns in to pure white. For example - let's say you want to make a fire effect. A typical newbie way to do it would be to spawn several yellow and red flares or smoke puffs. A better way is to make a custom flame sprite that fits your game style, and then break the effect like this:

- Create the main flame particle using the said sprite.
- Make another flame particle using the same sprite. Make it smaller, faster, and longer lasting. It will make the effect's pattern harder to notice and overall more natural.
- Have small flares/sparks shoot upwards with some gravity to simulate burning matter and ash.
- Have larger flares with small alpha pop up from time to time to simulate flashes of light.
- Add a slight smoke above it all (optional).

This way you can use less particles per second, and create much more believable and natural looking effects. People are very good at discerning patterns and will see through an effect consisting of only one particle. Using more than two is usually enough to trick the brain into thinking it's something actually natural and unpredictable.

A bit old, but a good example: http://youtu.be/hwtawrNs5IM?t=37s. Notice how the meteor effect is done. It uses two particles with custom flame sprite for the main trail, a flare on the tip to make it glow naturally, and then there are those delicate shockwaves on the sides. Looks much better than fireballs in Magi.

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: September 09, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »

i know how to code it, i'm just not sure how to create those sprites. that fire sprite for instance doesn't look particularly nice to me, it looks kind of weird. maybe it looks better in groups of 100 overlaying each other, though

i'll see if i can find more examples of particle sprites to get ideas from, but right now i can't think of anything better than the basic GM ones of sphere, flare, etc.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: September 09, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »

It doesn't have to look nice on its own, just when it's grouped. It's the same I use in that ArcMagi video and it looks very nice there. You could make one that fits your game.

For example - my other project is more cartoony. Realistic effects wouldn't do, so I disable additive blending and use this as the flame sprite:

But mostly I really think you should have more particle types per effect and use less particles per second. Right now, those blobs of white just look amateurish and clash with the polished look of the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:10:04 PM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic