Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:21:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95235 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »

understood, but keep in mind those are just still images; in video it may look much different, and this part of the game still needs a lot of polishing up. but when i get to that polishing up part i will try your advice

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: September 09, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »

Yeah, sure. It's just something that came to my mind when watching the screenshots.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »

you should find a way to make directional lighting on the sprites.
Something like a (simplified) bump texture for each sprite where you just store which pixels are illuminated depending on u/d/l/r lighting and then use fuzzy  geometry to light the sprites around a light source.

Make it for wednesday.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

that's actually a pretty interesting idea. i haven't seen it done before though, has any other game done that?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2012, 07:25:23 PM »

probably but I can't think of one right now.
It just struck me that in your screenshots, the trees and other stuff lacked some kindof lighting when put near the particles

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »

one bad thing about gm is that you can't ask for all the particle positions. there's no access to them at all (once they are placed and are moving). but yeah it'd be fun to adjust the lighting of an object with the particles

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: September 09, 2012, 07:49:20 PM »

not with the particles obviously, but only with the particle emitter
if each particle emitted light, that would be overkill

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

yeah that could work. will try a few things

Uykered
« Reply #388 on: September 09, 2012, 09:46:59 PM »

What timer do you use for your pomodoros Paul? I found a program today called Focus Booster that's really simple and awesome. Or do you just watch a clock or something? I bet you already told me before.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: September 09, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

i use two: an hourglass that's 20 minutes (which cost me like 35$ but looks cool) and 2$ ladybug kitchen timer which can be adjusted (i use that when i want to do one that's not 20 min, and i like to hear the ticking sometimes to keep my attention). i haven't tried any digital ones yet but i feel as if they would be less effective than something tangible

Uykered
« Reply #390 on: September 09, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »

Interesting, I have a tomato timer that you twist but I found the ticking sound unbearable (maybe yours is quieter).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »

you can try putting it further away or under a blanket i guess; the ticking for mine isn't very loud but i don't have much of a standard of comparison. here's the one i have:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Ladybug-Ladybird-Kitchen-Cooking/dp/B008FLENL8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1347257482&sr=8-13&keywords=ladybug+timer

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: January 09, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »

Paul is there any news about SD? Screenshots?

I was sorry to see it got overlooked in IGF but I think you are basically right about RPGs not really being a good fit for judges that have to play a lot of games.

Also, and this is a real but silly question, but how did living in NJ and seeing it flooded during Sandy affect how you view your game? Like, I saw eva tweet at one point that you were stuck w/o power but OK, then I saw a pic you posted of a part of NJ underwater, then I started to think... it's kind of a similar environment to Saturated Dreamers. Anyhow hopefully that isn't a tasteless question, I do mean it sincerely-- just kind of this weird coincidence.
feminazi
« Reply #393 on: January 09, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

rinky is making the final areas and knowing rinky there's like a 100 "final areas" so it's going to be a while
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: January 09, 2013, 02:01:05 PM »

Paul is there any news about SD? Screenshots?

I was sorry to see it got overlooked in IGF but I think you are basically right about RPGs not really being a good fit for judges that have to play a lot of games.

Also, and this is a real but silly question, but how did living in NJ and seeing it flooded during Sandy affect how you view your game? Like, I saw eva tweet at one point that you were stuck w/o power but OK, then I saw a pic you posted of a part of NJ underwater, then I started to think... it's kind of a similar environment to Saturated Dreamers. Anyhow hopefully that isn't a tasteless question, I do mean it sincerely-- just kind of this weird coincidence.

sandy and the flood were different events -- my city of paterson flooded (but had power) during hurricane irene, and had no power (but didn't flood) during hurricane sandy. both interrupted my ability to work on the game; with irene i had to stay at my father's place for a week, and with sandy we weren't forced to evacuate but we had 9 days without power, so i couldn't do much work on the game besides read through the notes and make plans and such. still that's only a week or so out of 52 weeks, not a big loss, though annoying

as for updates, like eva said i'm working on the final areas of the game -- the final ~100. there are planned to be 1000 hand-made areas, and i'm working on the final 10% of them -- about half of those 100 remaining will be normal exploration areas, and the other half will be dream mode (shmup) areas. i'm going at a rate of 1-2 areas per day so those shouldn't take all that long (another two months i'd guess). after those are done i need to finish up a few more minor tasks, and then put it into playtesting (anyone who volunteered in this thread will be pm'd a that time), and likely will release the game in late spring or early summer, unless of course the playtesters suggest so many improvements that it's worth it to implement their ideas before release

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »

sandy and the flood were different events -- my city of paterson flooded (but had power) during hurricane irene, and had no power (but didn't flood) during hurricane sandy. both interrupted my ability to work on the game; with irene i had to stay at my father's place for a week, and with sandy we weren't forced to evacuate but we had 9 days without power, so i couldn't do much work on the game besides read through the notes and make plans and such. still that's only a week or so out of 52 weeks, not a big loss, though annoying

Ah, I didn't realize that Irene caused so much damage. It seemed everybody was just like "it's a dud" at the time, but I didn't follow too closely. But I guess what I meant is, aside from the disruption in work, did seeing a large area flooded up-close give you any uh, "inspiration" (for lack of a better word) for your game?

I just see large-scale destruction as a kind of surreal thing, I remember one time a small creek we have here flooded tremendously, like, into a raging torrent. It completely reshaped the landscape. I went and looked at it (from a safe distance, though probably still closer than would be reccommended) and it was just... like reality had been shuffled. It was even weirded when the water left and I rode my bike through the area, there are like completely new channels with flowing water that became permanent, and other changes to the landscape. Not to mention 8/13 bridges were washed out completely.

as for updates, like eva said i'm working on the final areas of the game -- the final ~100. there are planned to be 1000 hand-made areas, and i'm working on the final 10% of them -- about half of those 100 remaining will be normal exploration areas, and the other half will be dream mode (shmup) areas. i'm going at a rate of 1-2 areas per day so those shouldn't take all that long (another two months i'd guess). after those are done i need to finish up a few more minor tasks, and then put it into playtesting (anyone who volunteered in this thread will be pm'd a that time), and likely will release the game in late spring or early summer, unless of course the playtesters suggest so many improvements that it's worth it to implement their ideas before release

Cool stuff! I'm glad that the game is in the home stretch, I'm looking forward to it.

Eva thank you too for the update Smiley
feminazi
« Reply #396 on: January 09, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »

these are screenshots from the igf build.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: January 09, 2013, 08:05:54 PM »

eva you are singin' my song Smiley TY!

Not sure if I saw these on the IGF page but lookin' awesome, as always...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: January 09, 2013, 08:16:51 PM »

that heart image isn't final btw -- i want a better gui heart eventually. the one used there was just the photoshop default heart shape or something

and i didn't particularly get any ideas for SD from the flood, partly because i didn't spend time in the flood. i live in an apartment building, and the basement level was flooded (i live on the first floor there, which wasn't flooded), but because some people do live in the basement level, everyone was evacuated even though our apartment was perfectly fine and the building never lost power; so even though there were parts of paterson that were flooded i didn't personally experience most of it, i spent the week away from it, and most of what i saw of it was on tv or on youtube

if you watch this vid and a few like it you've basically seen everything i did: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7379088n

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »

Ah, okay. Weirdly I somehow imagined you being stranded in the flood, probably because I saw some ustream type of coverage of it and so I probably just overlayed your situation. Anyhow it's good you evac'd.

Well thanks again for the updates!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic