Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:42:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 94712 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #560 on: March 03, 2014, 12:11:26 AM »

as a side note for a short update, i've been taking a break from SD for the last few weeks while i prepare a patch for immortal defense (e.g. with 720p mode instead of 1024x768, 60 fps instead of 30 fps, upgraded to GM studio from GM7, probably a mac version, and new translations to french, portuguese, russian, and japanese that fans did, some small balance changes and other small improvements like a fast forward button and music/sound volume controls, some shaders added, some new custom levels... basically a quick "quality of life" patch, because it hasn't been patched since 2008 or 2009) -- this should take another month max. i'm continuing to work on editing the SD dialogue off and on during this time, but i'm not focusing on it as much as the ID update.

Uykered
« Reply #561 on: March 11, 2014, 03:39:19 AM »

That's awesome. I guess that update could help push it through greenlight too! (is that going ok?)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #562 on: March 11, 2014, 04:07:03 AM »

that's going okay -- it's at 46% of the votes needed to be in the top 100 or something. i haven't really been promoting it, but i'll do so after i make this patch. i may also add achievements in this patch (i want them to have some gameplay bonuses though, rather than just be aesthetic rewards)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: June 14, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »

created a new teaser trailer:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 14, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »

best E3 trailer so far

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: June 14, 2015, 02:35:11 PM »

o is it the e3 right now? i am not even paying attention haha

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: June 14, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »

turned it off after 25 seconds (especially that I was it lasted for over 7 minutes)

not a very good release trailer, unless this is an april fools post

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #567 on: June 14, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »

it's not a release trailer or even a trailer! it's a teaser trailer. it was patched together from some old vids i found on my second hard drive, the vids were taken 3 years ago or something, so it's a fairly outdated vid. it's not really intended to market the game

it was also originally 35 minutes, but i cut it down to 7

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 14, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »

it's the i'm not dead video

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #569 on: June 14, 2015, 06:40:07 PM »

Teaser trailers are supposed to be interesting Paul.

Like, this is the star wars teaser trailer. Shows very little footage, but it shows enough to spark the imagination and create hype.

It's like you really don't want people to feel hyped for your game.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #570 on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:05 AM »

it's not a release trailer or even a trailer! it's a teaser trailer. it was patched together from some old vids i found on my second hard drive, the vids were taken 3 years ago or something, so it's a fairly outdated vid. it's not really intended to market the game

it was also originally 35 minutes, but i cut it down to 7
ok, sorry, my mistake, it's not a release trailer

but like impmaster said teaser trailer are supposed to be even shorter than release trailer (which are usually around 1-2 minutes), it should show very little footage and only the most interesting bits

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:12 PM »

It's awesome, ignore these fools. PAUL I'M EXCITED AND I BELIEVE IN YOU AND A LOTTA PEOPLE DO (INCLUDING YOURSELF I KNOW Wink 
Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story
Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »

sorry but shenmue 3

jolene
« Reply #573 on: June 19, 2015, 04:29:30 PM »

nice
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: June 21, 2015, 03:49:40 AM »

Teaser trailers are supposed to be interesting Paul.

Like, this is the star wars teaser trailer. Shows very little footage, but it shows enough to spark the imagination and create hype.

It's like you really don't want people to feel hyped for your game.

ya but read the comments on the video and the replies to the video on twitter -- fans of the game do seem to like the video. 17 likes, 1 dislike so far, that's a pretty good proportion (better than most of my videos). the video is not intended to introduce new people to the game, it's intended to update progress for people who have been following the development of the game. it is definitely not intended to create hype. when i want to introduce new people to the game or create hype i'll make a video to do that

another issue is i *want* those who are not the game's audience to not like the video, it helps weed out people who wouldn't enjoy the game in the first place. i don't want people to buy the game who wouldn't enjoy it. and the game is for a very particular type of audience: older gamers who remember zelda1 or who like very slow-paced atmospheric games like seiklus. that isn't the average gamer, so the average type of gamer video is not going to work, instead long slower videos that don't explain anything are what that type of audience wants in a video, so they can study the video and try to figure out the mechanics -- that's at least what i look for in videos of games like this that i'm interested in. basically most teasers feel like candy or chocolate or a cookie, this teaser is like broccoli or cabbage

lastly, as stated in that vid, i created this vid out of random footage that i had recorded years ago and found on my second hard drive. i didn't record footage specifically for this video, i used left-over unused video that i had forgotten about that i felt had some interesting atmospheric parts to it, it was also basically a teaser done in half an hour in the morning on a dare from amon26 who posted on facebook something about 'do something cool this morning' and i said ok

(also, comparing it to the star wars trailer makes no sense; star wars has a pre-built in massive, mainstream audience. ask anyone on the street and they'd have heard of star wars. it's also a sequel -- and not just a sequel, but the 6th sequel in a long line of movies. this is a new game with a small audience. with star wars all you need to do is show luke chewing gum or something and fans will go crazy. that trailer also had a large budget, and was made by a large team with film school degrees, with almost unlimited resources to draw on, whereas my trailer's budget was probably actually negative money, since i lose money by spending time creating it, it's apples and oranges)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 04:01:31 AM by ஒழுக்கின்மை » Logged

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: June 21, 2015, 05:19:37 AM »

Star wars was just the teaser I had watched most recently. I just wanted to show you what a teaser was supposed to be. If you don't really want this teaser as your main trailer, that's fine but its not really a teaser trailer then. (Although I don't know why you would want to limit yourself to a very small niche?)

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: June 21, 2015, 05:33:42 AM »

(Although I don't know why you would want to limit yourself to a very small niche?)
because fuck normies

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: June 21, 2015, 05:39:04 AM »

Wonderfully weird.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: June 27, 2015, 02:00:32 AM »

Star wars was just the teaser I had watched most recently. I just wanted to show you what a teaser was supposed to be. If you don't really want this teaser as your main trailer, that's fine but its not really a teaser trailer then. (Although I don't know why you would want to limit yourself to a very small niche?)

mainly because the type of games i like to play, and the types of games i find fun to make, aren't the types of games that most gamers like, and because i think if you try to make a game that you yourself don't enjoy making / wouldn't like to play yourself, that often fails pretty badly, and besides, isn't the point of being an indie dev is to have fun and express yourself, not to make the most money possible? if i wanted to make money i would have just been a typical non-game programmer and made 100k a year or whatever doing that

you are probably right that i should have called it something besides a teaser though, but it's too late for that now. maybe "video preview" or "gameplay mystery video" or something would have been a better way to put it, but teaser was the first thing i thought of at the time to call it

it's possible i'll be surprised by the size of the audience, though. immortal defense's audience was also far larger than i thought it'd be, i even had a ton of 10-13 year olds who enjoyed that game, which was a younger age than i thought was possible to enjoy that game due to the complexity of the writing (when i was 10-13 i didn't know a lot of the words that are even used in that game's dialogue, and probably would have found that type of game too boring to play myself)

Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #579 on: June 27, 2015, 04:22:37 AM »

I enjoy the trailer a lot, pretty candid and informative of the game. there's a very relaxed and airy, surreal vibe to it. it's very gentle and strangely beautiful

I can't wait to play it!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic