Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:31:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95147 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: August 13, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »

how come the lines update at a different rate to the balls. anyway i want to fuck you paul. best wishes.

i probably don't update it every frame / fast enough, cuz gm7 is slow. but i'm going to be porting the game from gm7 to gm studio, which is only hatefully slow instead of mournfully slow

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: August 16, 2017, 03:35:51 AM »

it's only as slow as you code it to be

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: August 16, 2017, 03:45:13 AM »

this game is cool yo  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: November 12, 2017, 03:54:31 PM »

some new junk

a boss?

an options screen?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 17, 2017, 03:09:22 AM »

hello my friend paul, wonderful to see your progress as always
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 20, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »

Did you port the game already? How hard was it?

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: November 20, 2017, 01:03:41 PM »

i have the game running in studio now, however, the port is not fully complete. i still need to port the fmod engine (the sound engine i used in the gm7 version), so right now it's ported, but with no sound, and there are a few other bugs i need to work through. so basically... the game is playable in studio now, but isn't completely bug-free or feature-complete in studio. i think it'll probably be fully ported by the end of the year.

as for how hard it was, it was tedious, but not difficult. lots and lots of little changes that i had to manually make to the code over and over. the game has 70,000 lines of code (which may be a record for a game maker game), so it took awhile to change things.

for instance, in gm studio, you have to draw on surfaces during the 'draw' event, not the 'step' event. but in gm7, it's the opposite, you can *only* draw on surfaces during the step event, and not in the draw event. so i had to do a lot of shifting around of code from one to another.

another major difference was function parameters. in gm7, you could do function overloading (a function that accepts a variable number of arguments), but in gm studio you can't, so i had to make sure each function always got the same number of arguments, and always used all the arguments it got.

sandboxing is also a big difference -- i haven't yet fully ported that aspect of it, but basically in gm studio, you can only save to a particular folder on the hard drive, and can't actually save to the folder that the game itself is installed to.

also (this one is my own fault) gm7 allows an option to treat uninitialized variables as 0. gm studio doesn't. it's not a recommended option, but i used it in gm7, so all variables that weren't initialized before being read i had to go and initialize them. so i have scripts now that are just like 600 lines of initializing variables to 0.

so lots of little stuff like that add up. but the port was necessary because gm studio is cross-platform (gm7 is windows only), much faster (like, more than twice as fast, i get much less slowdown), etc.

and here's some new gifs of the game in studio (in the first one, there is a bug where the crystals have different transparency values if they are above/below the player in y value -- that's another bug i still need to fix):

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 21, 2017, 01:25:41 AM »

Studio 1.4 or Studio 2? How are you liking it?

Glad to see you are thinking cross platform. Nowadays is a must.

Yeah.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: February 25, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »

sorry forgot to reply lately. studio 1.4 for now. may try studio 2 eventually though but right now i have the game working in studio 1.4, and the speed increase was enormous, it's like 5x faster.

samurai_zane
« Reply #609 on: February 25, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »

Really dig this man. It looks like such a trip. Reminds me a bit of Hohokum (with the movements especially) but more surreal. Though I see you've been working on this since way before haha
alastair
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: September 06, 2020, 05:11:51 PM »

looks fun!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic