Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:23:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReavers of New Rome
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Reavers of New Rome  (Read 18965 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »

Reavers of New Rome

Wishlist on Steam

Reavers of New Rome is one of four games in Inedible Pulp Volume 1.
Kickstarter

Reavers of New Rome is a 3D Science-Fiction Action-Adventure game.  It's one of a few projects I'm going to be prototyping over the rest of the month as a way of improving and polishing my base code.  

Alpha Demo

-Plot-

New Rome is a colony on an alien world modeled after Ancient Rome.  Under the reign of Emperor CRaC, the ruling class of New Rome has grown decedent, and the city has fallen into ruin.  Now you sail across the steaming sea to the port of New Rome.  Your ancestors left the city as exiles and former Senators.  Now you arrive as a barbarian at the gates.

-Gameplay-

The game is a 3D Action-Adventure game with lock-on combat.  My current plan is for the game to have a mix of ranged and melee combat.  You'll spend most of your time in ranged combat, firing at your opponents and weaving through their attack patterns.  When you find an opening, you'll perform a high-damage melee attack.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:09:13 AM by Alec S. » Logged

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:56:23 AM »

Really liking the look of this! Great idea for a story and overall atmosphere.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »

Thanks!

Main Protagonist:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:19:56 AM »

Lock-On Combat

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »

Created a Melee Attack.  The player's laser weapon can be charged and "overloaded" to create a high-damage, short ranged burst.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:15:17 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:46:52 AM »

I like it! Following.

I know it's an early stage, but what bothers me the most are the characters. I have the impression that the game was made for 4:3 and stretched to widescreen which distorts the proporions.

Also, the helmet reminds me a little of pigtails.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:16:34 AM »

Love your style, this looks great as always Smiley

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »

Love your style, this looks great as always Smiley

Thanks!

I like it! Following.

I know it's an early stage, but what bothers me the most are the characters. I have the impression that the game was made for 4:3 and stretched to widescreen which distorts the proporions.

At first I was like "Nah!  I like how the characters look, and that stretched out image looks weird," but then I decided to try stretching the character vertically by 25% (not quite as dramatically as in your image) and I think you may be right.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »

This looks cool. Is it going to be a straight-up level-based affair?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »

It's going to be semi-open connected world.  My current plan is to have an opening level, a hub-area, three levels connected to the hub (which I'm currently planning on making completed in any order) then a final area.

HoffmanIV
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

I love the low poly, Sega Saturn/PSX-esque aesthetic man. This is going to be one worth watching!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »

Thanks!

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »

Looking cool already! Awesome to be working on a new thing so quickly after a full game release.

I have some dev questions about the overall structure of your character controllers / animations / attack states, I realize it's a lot to ask but it's something I have trouble finding good references for.

- Are you using Unity?
- How much code sharing between mobile characeters (esp the bipedal) and the player do you get away with?
- What pattern are you using to keep all the data and timings for different attacks / character motion modes? That is, what does the control structure look like going from walking to jumping to attacking with animation and back to idle?
- What kind of camera style do you want when the player isn't locked on? Do you have a strategy to deal with terrain geometry line-of-sight kind of issues?

Thanks!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »

Thanks!

- Are you using Unity?

Yep!

- How much code sharing between mobile characeters (esp the bipedal) and the player do you get away with?

Quite a bit.  I have a Character class that handles movement, gravity, health, damage, ect... Then there's a player class that inherits from the character class to add/override things specifically for the player (for exmaple, in the Character class, there's a function for when the character dies that involves, for instance, spawning an explosion effect.  In the player's case, it's overridden to reset to checkpoint).  The main difference beyond that is that the player is controlled by a set of player-controlled input-handler behaviors, while the enemies are controlled by an AI behavior.

- What pattern are you using to keep all the data and timings for different attacks / character motion modes? That is, what does the control structure look like going from walking to jumping to attacking with animation and back to idle?

There's two parts to this.  There's the Enemy AI and an Attack Pattern class, both of which are Behaviors that are attached to the enemies.  The Enemy AIs are hierarchical state machines.  Most enemies have their own AI class (inheriting from a base AIController class) which create their behavior tree.  In addition to controlling things like movement, they can also trigger the attack pattern.

The Attack Pattern class is attached to the enemy and lets me create their attack patterns in the Unity editor.  The Attack Pattern contains a list of Attacks, which in turn each contain a list of Projectile patterns, as well as stuff like telegraph animations, damage hitboxes (for melee attacks), sound effects, ect...

The Projectile Patterns themselves contain values like projectile type, damage, direction(s), volley amount and rate, source(s), speed, inaccuracy and so on.  (in the previous version of my base code which I used for Cold Vengeance, the Projectile Pattern variables were held directly in the attacks themselves, so I could only have one projectile type per attack)

So for animations, they're generally controlled by the Unity animation system, based on parameters received from the Character Class, but sometimes the Attack Pattern class will cause it to play a specific animation before returning to it's Idle state.

- What kind of camera style do you want when the player isn't locked on? Do you have a strategy to deal with terrain geometry line-of-sight kind of issues?

It's a standard action-adventure style follow-camera.  The camera doesn't follow player movement 1:1 but instead tries to limit its movement to the degree it can (And the player moves relative to the camera.  So, for example, if you hold left on the controller, you'll move in a circle around the camera).  The player can rotate the camera, and the camera snaps in front of objects that block it.

Anyway, hope that answered your questions.  Let me know if you have any more!

mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 03:10:38 PM »

That is super helpful! Thank you so much!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »

No problem!  Feel free to message me if you have any more questions.   Gentleman

Working on level design.  Blocking out the first proper area.

It will be a derelict fishing community outside the main walls of New Rome.  Verticality is going to be a major part of the level design in this game.  Those long blocks are to help me remember where the second-floor bridges between buildings will go.  

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »

It's coming along...

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 05:15:19 AM »

I noticed that you used a flat plane as a base for your buildings. Maybe some slopes would make the terrain more interesting. The pier is by far the most interesting part of your level. You could use multiple platforms at different heights, connected by those thin slopes. Also you use perfect 90 degree angles for everything. Although ancient roman architecture is known for square urban planning, it might look a tad boring from a level design perspective. Ancient rome is not exactly built on a grit. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/D%C3%A9tail_de_la_maquette_de_Rome_%C3%A0_l%C3%A9poque_de_Constantin_%285840455090%29.jpg

I stumbled over this image (on twitter?) some time ago, and found it very helpful:

full size

Please bear with me. I have the impression i'm only posting negative things but i don't want to be rude. I don't have experience in level design, i'm just trying to be constructive.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:22:00 AM by Zorg » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:08 AM »

There are slopes in the form of stairs within the buildings leading to the second story, which chris-crosses the entire area.  While the ruined town is itself built on a single plane, there's no lack of verticality.  In addition, There are a lot of features to help with differentiation of space (Houses, narrow alleyways, large alleyways, a central courtyard, passageways between upper floors of buildings) as well as consideration for line of sight, objectives which can be seen before they're reached, ect...  It doesn't look flat from the player's over-the-shoulder perspective.

Level design is definitely a topic I've thought a lot about, so while your input is appreciated, and there's always room for improvement, trust me when I say a lot of thought goes into how I build my levels.  (also I have, in fact, seen that whiteboard test image before)

(Also, the sort of archetexture you referenced will be more prevalent in the city proper.)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:52:28 AM by Alec S. » Logged

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 02:23:39 PM »

Wow, cool, i'll read your article series. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic