Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:58:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReavers of New Rome
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Reavers of New Rome  (Read 18808 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »

Made a new enemy model so that they're not just a palette swap of the player (I still need to clean up the animations a bit...)

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »

Created a Spearman enemy

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »

Added a lock-on graphic

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 06:01:23 PM »

Added another enemy type.  These ones have a shield which they hide behind, occasionally popping out to shoot at the player.

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »

Alec- Looks great!

I see the resemblance to your previous project, but wasting no time in expanding beyond some of the basic 'constraints' of the predecessor: this looks more '360' open with the view and level design, which is very attractive. Less emphasis on aimed shooting also really helps in this regard. I'm eager to see the movement and melee gameplay that this will pave the way for.

Also, the whole art concept and story seems on point. (I get torqued for purpley pink color schemes.)

Hand Metal Left Well, hello there! Hand Metal Right Beer! Coffee Gentleman

-Fro-gAH-nus
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »

Thanks!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 05:23:22 PM »

Working on an enemy which will be the boss of the first area, but which will become a normal enemy later in the game

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 03:14:02 PM »

Currently working towards making some sort of playable demo out of the first area.  I've got the three enemy types that will be in the first area, the level design is all blocked out, combat is most of the way to where I want it, and I've got doors/keys working.

Stuff still left to do:
-The boss
-A few bits of controls tweaking
-Sound effects
-Health pickups
-More environmental objects (like the pillars)

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 04:26:13 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »

Colossus

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »

At the Gates

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »

I've been working on some visual effects

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »

Created an opening cutscene

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 10:38:51 PM »

Time for a break from things that make nice gifs, and into technical stuff.  I've been working on my Saving/Loading code.

Previously, for Cold Vengeance, I basically had a class that stored data such as what level the player was on, what their position was last time they hit a checkpoint, what their score/time was at the checkpoint, which coins they had found, ect...  Essentially, I was hard-coding every piece of information that needed to be saved.

That was good enough for a run 'n' gun game, but for an Action Adventure, there's a lot more that has to remain persistent, both when you save and reload the game, and when you leave a zone and then come back to it.  The primary thing is that items that the player has picked up need to stay gone and if a player defeats a boss, they should stay defeated.  But beyond that, if the player opened a door, it should stay open, or if the player interacts with an object in some way, it should be able to keep track of that.  For the time being, I think normal enemies will respawn when you leave the zone or restart to a checkpoint, but since I'm adding this directly into my base code, I also want the option available to me for later games (or if I change my mind in this game) to have enemy deaths be persistent.

The solution to this has been slowly taking shape, and I don't know if I'm going about this the best way.  Basically, if I want to make an object persistant, I can add a behavior to it that gets a unique ID (from another object that exists in each scene specifically to generate the unique IDs).  I then have a Level Manager object that can store information about objects (currently whether they've been destroyed or not, what their position is, and an array of boolean flags for misc. purposes), along with a reference to their ID.

From that point, it's up to the objects themselves how they interface with the object data.  For example, a unique item will check the Level Manager for data that matches its ID.  If it finds one, and the data has the Destroyed flag set to true, the Item will destroy itself.  If you pick it up, it will set the data in the Level Manager class to say it's destroyed.

Then I can just serialize the Level Data for each level to save the overall state of persistent objects.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 05:58:18 PM »

Made a start screen:

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2017, 11:06:59 AM »

Added a dodge roll.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »

Drop into Boss Battle

Continuing to work to polish up the demo.  I've been doing another pass on the level design, doing things like breaking up some of the building interiors with broken walls, and adding some more textural variations.

I've also added more behaviors to the boss.  In addition to the attack you've seen already, there's a bull-rush attack where he charges at the player with his axe in front of him, and there's an attack where he rolls towards the player then slams his axe on the ground.  I'll probably post gifs of them once they're a bit more polished.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »

Added a button which activates when you shoot it.  In addition to being something I can use for puzzles later on, right now it's a simple way to make sure the player knows how to lock on and shoot before they reach the first combat encounter.  It also provides the area with a nice bit of book-ending, as it will begin with opening a small gate, and end with opening a large gate.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic