Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411620 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 07:08:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSolo, an introspective puzzle adventure - Update #6 - Solo at REBOOT DEVELOP!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Solo, an introspective puzzle adventure - Update #6 - Solo at REBOOT DEVELOP!  (Read 2969 times)
hyodelatorre
Level 0

@hyodelatorre

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »

Solo is a puzzle exploration game in which a sailor is traveling through a vast archipelago, solving puzzles, wondering about love. A personal experience both for puzzle lovers and creative indie games aficionados.

Solo is now on fig.co! Support the game and help us through our adventure :D

Love as fuel.

Solo is a game about love.

About love as fuel, the force that drive us.

It is a universal feeling, but each of us experiences it in a different way. Individually, it holds different meanings depending on a variety of factors such as: culture, gender, sexuality or traumas. That's why Solo will explore this theme in an introspective way, to have the players identify and reflect on their own experiences.

Between Totems & Guardians.

The game starts when the sailor embarks on a journey to find love. The adventure begins by setting the sailorís gender, and the gender they wish to love in game.

At the beginning, the game will ask the player about past and current relationships:

∑ Confess, sailor. In which way does love wrap your existence?

- I've never had love. Never shared it in a couple.

- Currently I share my life with someone.

- I had love, but not anymore.

Based on the player's answer to this question, the game will switch the content, adapting the narrative to their experiences based on what we call 'The Three States of Love':

Solo, In-Couple & Heartbroken.

As the players gets in to the adventure, the sailor will travel through different archipelagos, trying to fix them along the way.

Each island on the archipelago will present unique puzzles with different questions. The Sleeping Totems will guide the player through important introspective thoughts. Those questions change depending on the player's state.

Puzzles & Islands.

The world is divided in to archipelagos, and each archipelago is formed by small islands.

Each island represents a unique puzzle the sailor will have to solve before getting to the Sleeping Totems and awakening them.

We are creating a dynamic system where each player can create his or her own ways to solve the puzzles, representing the wide range of paths that love can have for each of us.

This system is based on the simple concept of using boxes, each with different properties and behaviors,  so the players can combine them to create their own paths to goals on each island.

A living world - Screens & Concepts

The Team.

(@TeamGotham_) is a Madrid-based indie studio formed by 5 people who met at university more than 6 years ago. We have been working together since then, and after 2 years of hard work, we released our first game The Guest in March 2016 under the 505Games label.

@hyodelatorre  - hm.. no Twitter -  @pumpelo  -  @toterain  -  @adriwicked

We want to keep growing in the industry by expressing our emotions through games, making awesome and beautiful experiences, paying attention to detail and enhancing the audience's engagement with our games.

For Solo, Team Gotham is collaborating with narrative designer Jordi de Paco from Deconstructeam to have him help provide new ideas and a deeper vision to the concept of love. He has experience building deep worlds and creating interesting narrative designs as he did on Gods Will be Watching.

Solo is a step forward in our game development career. It means embarking on an emotional journey within the game and putting ourselves and what truly concerns us about human love experiences into the project.

Solo brings the opportunity to explore, learn and understand new  approaches to art and design, beyond our comfort zone.

Links.

Solo's campaign on FIG
Team Gotham's Website
Twitter
Facebook
Twitch Channel

Thanks for reading folks!

Love,
Juan
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:32:39 AM by hyodelatorre » Logged

DeRoquefeuille
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »

Looks cool!  Smiley
The aestetics remind me of Wind Waker and The Witness. Excited to see where this is going.
nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »

This whole concept is fresh and your art is amazing. Definitely some Wind Waker vibes but you've taken things to a whole new level. Great job! Beer!
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 02:28:51 AM »

Looking great guys! Glad to see you opening a devlog. I'm really looking forward those updates :-D

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 03:21:47 AM »

Cool aesthetics and a theme that I think need to be more explored in games.

Good luck with the fig campaign. Beer!

hyodelatorre
Level 0

@hyodelatorre

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:48:21 AM »

Hello everyone!

I'm gonna be posting updates from time to time here so you guys can keep track of how development is going.

We're super excited to see that people are really digging the game so far! We've received tons of messsages on social media and good feedback!

Looks cool!  Smiley
The aestetics remind me of Wind Waker and The Witness. Excited to see where this is going.

Those are some good references for the art department! I'm thinking about doing an update about how the art style was crafted.. You think it could be interesting?

This whole concept is fresh and your art is amazing. Definitely some Wind Waker vibes but you've taken things to a whole new level. Great job! Beer!

Thanks! Wind Waker is definitely here, of course! Also, we have explored a lot of minimalistic and colorful art beyond videogames - Pinterest mostly - to set up our own art style Smiley Glad to see people is digging it so far!

Looking great guys! Glad to see you opening a devlog. I'm really looking forward those updates :-D

Following the advices of the master... (: Thanks for stepping in!

Cool aesthetics and a theme that I think need to be more explored in games.

Good luck with the fig campaign. Beer!

Agreed (: We developers need to talk more about love! Sometimes feels like the world needs it, right? (:

-

Back to the campaing, we have been live for one day and a half and we're alredy off to a good start (: We have reached 36% of the goal in just one day! 271 backers from all around the world have joined us in our adventure and we couldn't be happier about it.

On the launch day, we threw a party to celebrate the campaign launch. Developers and media came to support us on the first day on campaign and we had a blast! Our buddy @educueto came with a sailor’s costume to turn up the party and the lovely @isiangeath made the first ever fan art in Team Gotham’s history! We had a really good time and a lot of good vibes from our friends.

Yesterday, we added details about a really cool thing we are doing for backers: the Sacred Sailor’s Wall. It’ll be a place to remember the sailors who are sailing through the ocean wondering about love, trying to find it (only for backers of the 35$ tier and above). Here, they will find their names displayed on a Sacred Wall in the Temples and at the end of each archipelago.

What are your thoughts on the game so far? Which areas of the game do you find more interesting or exciting? Let us know how you feel about Solo!

We are super excited about this journey on Fig.
THANK YOU for being awesome and supporting Solo! Let’s keep sailing together!

Love,
Juan
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:19:26 AM by hyodelatorre » Logged

hyodelatorre
Level 0

@hyodelatorre

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:28:54 AM »

Hey guys!

Second update is here (: The campaign keeps going strong and we are almost halfway to our funding goal!

In order to celebrate our excitement, we’ve planned a Live Stream showing Solo’s gameplay to the world for the first time ever on Twitch - twitch.tv/playfig -  for this Wednesday at 6PM (GMT) - 7PM (GMT+1) - 1AM (EST) - 10AM (PST)! We’ll go through the first puzzles so you guys can see the mood and atmosphere of the first pre-alpha demo.

Also, I wanted to share with you Global Game Jam 2017 game: "no ONE" - a puzzle game about mixing weird substances in a dystopian hospital.

You can download it for free here:

https://hyodelatorre.itch.io/no-one or http://gamejolt.com/games/no-one/229379 or http://globalgamejam.org/2017/games/no-one

We had a great time doing the game and trying crazy/bizarre stuff for a weekend - it’s always good to step back from the main game’s development for a bit and refresh our minds with new ideas!

Aaaand that's it for today! I'll be back with bigger updates after the streaming, things are just nuts these days!

Will you be joining us on the live stream? Step in, say hi and let’s chat on Wednesday!

Cheers,
Juan

Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:48:19 AM »

You're already over 50% and still have 27 days left, way to go! I'm sure you'll be reaching that goal soon :-)

hyodelatorre
Level 0

@hyodelatorre

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:02:27 AM »

You're already over 50% and still have 27 days left, way to go! I'm sure you'll be reaching that goal soon :-)

Yay! Now it's where the hard part of the campaign comes, right? We are kind of stucked on 55% but we are creating new assets and social media beats to make a bit of noise these days!

-

Speaking of the devil, I bring you guys the third update on this DevBlog!

Last week, we reached 50% on fig.co/solo and we wanted to celebrate with a live stream showing the first minutes of the game so people could get a better idea of what Solo is.

We showed the first islands, solved some puzzles in many ways, played with wildlife and basically explained how the game works. Now, you guys can take a look at the video on YouTube and tell us what you think!

Also, this Thurday, I'm planning to do another live stream showing how we create islands and puzzles using our custom editor on Unity. I'll be posting more details on my social media profiles such as @hyodelatorre or @TeamGotham_

So.. What do you think so far? What do you like the most? Any special part you found interesting? Let us know!

Cheers,
Juan

hyodelatorre
Level 0

@hyodelatorre

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 04:47:27 AM »

I'm back with the 4th update!

We are a bit stuck on 63% percent - but we have 15 days left yet (: We are working hard to bring you guys REALLY good news soon (:

Last Thursday, I spent almost 3 hours on Twitch showing how islands are built in the game engine and the process for optimizing the experience.

Since it's a pretty long video, we have made a timelapse so you can watch the full process in just 15 minutes:

(You can watch the full stream on Twitch too:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/119174793)

For those who missed the stream, we have prepared a breakdown, showing every step from drawing the map on paper through the time the island is ready to play.

• Design a map on paper - There are many ways to design a puzzle. In this case, I already had my thoughts on paper, so it was easier to build an island.

Here’s the map with my usual notes and comments to get it into the engine as I designed it.

• Building the main island shape in the engine - Once the map is designed, we go to Unity and start building the island from scratch following the notes on the drawing.

Using technology built by Team Gotham’s lead programmer Daniel García, we can easily create terrain and modify it to create the final shape we want.

• Testing the map - Now that the environment is built, we place the boxes selected for the island on the terrain, jump into the game, and start testing the area, the puzzle and its solutions.

Usually, the island is not perfect at first, so we have to keep tweaking and changing the terrain to make it fit the puzzle.

• Dressing the island - When everything works and the puzzle can be completed with multiple solutions, we can start a process we call “dressing the island” to make it look good.

Starting with trees to shape the environment, we begin placing assets to create the unique environment of the island.

• Play! - Now the island is ready to be played, with animals and butterflies wandering around the plants!

What do you think of the process? Is there something you’d like to know? We are always around so feel free to ask!

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »

Very interesting concept, i'll keep an eye on it!

sbeast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 02:47:01 PM »

Cool concept, it looks great so far! Have you made any considerations regarding music as I would love to contribute.  Smiley

Sbeast - Composer / Cover Artist / Guitarist
http://luxbellator.com/portfolio
hyodelatorre
Level 0

@hyodelatorre

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »

Very interesting concept, i'll keep an eye on it!

(: glad you found it interesting! see you around then!

Cool concept, it looks great so far! Have you made any considerations regarding music as I would love to contribute.  Smiley

Hey sbeast (: Unfortunately, we already have an audio team working on sound design and music.. Sad

-

Great news everyone!

Last Thursday, we hit 103%!

I can’t even begin to express how we feel. There are no words to express our gratitude to every backer and investor. There are no words to thank you guys for your likes, retweets, shares and whatnot. Just unbelievable.

On Wednesday we were at 63% and something magical happened.

Members of the Indie Fund (supporters of games like Dear Esther, That Dragon Cancer, Her Story and Manifold Garden among others) such as Aaron Isaksen, co-founder of the Indie Fund and organizer of IndieCade and John Graham, co-founder of Humble Bundle, decided to just invest what was left to fund the campaign. You guys can’t imagine how happy and excited we felt when we heard the news. Just joyful, grateful and somehow stunned, right?

As I said, I have no words. I can’t write with clarity right now, our team is just happy and super excited about the future.

Again, THANKS SO MUCH for every single push we received.

hyodelatorre
Level 0

@hyodelatorre

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 06:36:17 AM »

It’s been a while since the last update but we have an excuse... We have been busy building a new demo to show at events and... well, we actually have been going to events!

Last week we showcased Solo at Reboot Develop in the beautiful land of Croatia. Since we first went to this event two years ago, it has become our favorite gamedev conference around the world. Can you imagine listening to awesome speakers like Jonathan Blow, Rami Ismail or Patrice Desilets just by the sea? It’s awesome!

We had a great week visiting around the old city of Dubrovnik and hanging out with devs, listening to talks and showcasing the game to the attendees - even had the chance to talk and play with John Graham, founder of Humble Bundle and one of our main investors!

It felt awesome to meet John and discuss the game with him! Such an honor!

Feels like people are digging the game so far and are enjoying the puzzles and mechanics we are testing. Also, we found some issues on the level design which is good to keep improving the islands and make them better and better!

We are already planning future events and playtestings to make sure the puzzles and the structure of the game are working perfectly.

Also, we have been working on awesome features and we'll be talking about them really soon so make sure to keep an eye to our social media!

Love,
Juan

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic