Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:48:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpeedStar City (An F-Zero Inspired game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: SpeedStar City (An F-Zero Inspired game)  (Read 1568 times)
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:42 AM »

Who here remembers F-Zero? Well, even though I rarely played them myself, I still know of the qualities these games had and in a stroke of inspiration, decided to take a crack at a game inspired by the series. Thus, SpeedStar City was born, a game taking more inspiration from the SNES/ GBA F-Zeros, but now with 3D models and created by my own two hands.

These are some images showing the current progress of the game.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:07:42 AM by Tyler. H » Logged
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »

A little update here, the game now features AI opponents, only white boxed at the moment. The do work as intended though, following the track to a T like most racing game AI and they will always be on your tail.

As a result of the AI being formed, post race placements have been added. Races are four person free for alls and the game will be keeping track of the order in which the drivers pass the goal. A little touch up as well, the post race menu now features input controls.

I'm going to be spending the next week making some more assets for the game, but after that is finished, expect controller support to be incorporated for more variety.
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »

Asset creation for the game seems to be going by smoothly. Enemy Vehicles have been created and programmed, as well as some building assets.

(Unity Scene View)

(First Person Game View)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:17:44 AM by Tyler. H » Logged
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:07:14 PM »

A little update here, the main assets for the tracks are finished now. They just need to be properly assembled to fit the area themes.

Most of these are strictly for aesthetic use mind you, but a good racing game is always known for environment variety.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »

I loved the original F-Zero for SNES. I'd love to see something in that vein.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »

Another little update for you folks. Weather wasn't the greatest here, ended up with me having to deal with some other things but I still managed to do a sufficient amount of work on the game overall. I decided to begin working on laying out more of the tracks, wanting to assure they all were finished before working on the menu of the game. Here are the two tracks that were finished in the week.

(External views)

(Tunnel track 1, standard view)

(Tunnel track2, first person view)

The AI of the opponents has been tweaked a little for these tracks so it still feels like a fair challenge. I don't want players getting blown away early on at the very least.
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:33:03 AM »

Time for another Update. Game Progress has gone along nicely for me. I'm not the most proud of the sky tracks, but I wanted to make their point of existence clear. I hope I succeeded.

(Desert Track 1, Overhead View)

(Desert Track 2, First Person View)

First is the desert tracks, the newest theme and one of my personal favorites to make. It works with the terrain tool and using it to form the hills was fun.

(Cave track 3, Overhead View)

(Ravine Track 1, Overhead View)

(Ravine Track 1, First Person View)

These are the new Ravine tracks, focused more on the enclosed space the area can offer. It was mainly made with the terrain tool for layout before the track pieces were added.

(Sky Track 1)

The sky tracks are admittedly the most basic of the tracks, focusing more on the threat of falling to your death that exists in the track.

(Ravine Track 2, Overhead View)

(Ravine Track 2, Gameplay View)

(Desert Track 2, Overhead View)

(Desert Track 2, First Person View)

(Desert Track 2, Gameplay View)

The last track shown is probably my most ambitious of the tracks at the moment, making the ramps have their debut. I wanted to use the track to show their possibilities as much as possible and I believe that things ended up well.
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 11:54:08 PM »

Looks fairly cool, but where's the city of the title?
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »

Update time!
Over the week, I worked on a good amount of tracks. Let's just get them underway.

(Ravine Track 3, birds eye view)

(Ravine Track 3, First person view)

As you can see here, I began to incorporate the crystals as background assets on the ravine tracks. I think they look nice, though I think they can be made better.

(Desert Track 3, Birds eye view)

(Desert Track 3, Gameplay view)

(City Track 2, Birds eye view)

(Ravine Track 4, Birds eye view)

(Ravine Track 4, First person view)
This one I have fun with because I wanted to merge parts of the cave into it. I think it fit quite well with the aesthetic.

(Desert Track 4, Birds eye view)

(Desert Track 4, Gameplay view)

This is probably my most ambitious track yet in the game. Instead of being three laps like usual, it's one giant strip that is cut off into three pieces. (Think of something similar to MK7 and MK8)
That's all for now, see you guys next time with the next update.
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »

Hello folks, I'm here with another update for you all.

(Desert track 5, birds eye view)
This is the last of the desert tracks, my personal favorite in terms of layout with the second to last one behind it. That's it for track updates for now, time for something a little different.

(Main Menu screenshot)
This is the current design of the main menu right now. It only keeps in the essentials that are currently needed, but when more updates are made to the game, more menu selections will be added in.

(Grand Prix menu screenshot 1)
The track image on the left rotates between the five available tracks in the circuit.

(Grand Prix menu screenshot 2)
The question mark indicates that the circuit is not yet completed for use, which means two circuits still need to be completed.

(Instructions menu screenshot)
That's all there is for this update, see you guys next time.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:00:21 PM »

Been following - really liking the look of the tracks so far! Excited to see this in action.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 10:29:17 AM »

Hello all, time for another little update. This week, I focused on the development of the scoring system in the game. The system is fairly basic, giving you points based on how you finished in the race with the highest being ten, and the lowest is one.

(Finishing with ten points earned)

(Finishing with one point earned)

After the circuit is completed, a little bit of the player vehicle driving forward will happen. Upon crossing the finish line, the camera will stop and you will either earn one of the three trophies, or get nothing at all. The trophies will be displayed from scene view so their designs can be shown.

(Bronze Trophy, scene view)

(Silver Trophy, scene view)

(Gold Trophy, scene view)

(No reward, scene view)

The flame on top is meant to represent the Inferno cup, other circuits with have their own little trinkets on top to fit with their respective circuit. Finally, let me show you something a little special.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »

This is good, bubba.

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Tyler. H
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »

Small update this time around. I decided to do a little polishing up in a few areas before continuing on with creating new tracks. This was mainly to fix a glitch I noticed on any tracks except from the cavern where it was possible to phase through the walls. This has thankfully been fixed now and I decided to finally incorporate some skyboxes into the game.

(Daytime Skybox shown in Sandry Ruins, Panic Pyramid.)

(Nighttime skybox shown in Sandry Ruins, Lunar Sands.)

(Evening/ Dawn skybox shown in SpeedStar City, Downtown Drive)
That's all I can report for now, see you guys next time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic