Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:48:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAsh of Gods - combat system feedback needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ash of Gods - combat system feedback needed  (Read 1683 times)
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:37:15 PM »

For Ash of Gods, the game we're working on, we plan to use turn-based system with some twists to the classic formula.

First of all - Ash of Gods will have turn-based combat that will take place in various moments during the playthrough on dedicated battlefields. Here is some information about it:
  • We're developing our own ruleset with some unique and (hopefully) exciting mechanics
  • We do not have RND, so no rolls and hit/miss chances.
  • Besides the characters in his party the player can use powerful cards during the battle.
  • Each character has only 3 basic parameters
HP - health points, once it reaches 0 the char dies;
MP - energy points, they are used for special moves and rushing across the tactical field. Once it reaches 0 - any further damage toward MP will deal x2 towards HP;[/li][/list]
AT - attack, servers as the base parameter for skills.[/li][/list]
  • Any attack can be aimed at either opponent's HP or MP.
  • Powerful attack use HP points (and not only for a berserker or a blood mage but across many of the classes).

If you don't mind long articles - you can read about the process of creating the combat system on our website https://ashofgods.com/news/new-approach-to-turn-based-strategies/ (or should I share it here?). You can also get your hands on the prototype and check it out for yourself here http://game.aurumdust.com/. It has very limited UI and player support so it's pretty hardcore at this point, but we will greatly appreciate if you give it a shot and share some feedback here. Beware that there is no AI yet, so you can do 1 out of the 3 things:
  • Open it in 2 browser tabs and play with yourself (we don't judge);
  • If you happen to have a friend - send him the link and fight against him;
  • I'd be happy to play against you - so just shoot me a PM with the time that you'd like to give it a shot.

What do you think of a system like this? As always - feel free to ask me anything about it (ie classes, skills, mechanics, etc.)

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
JaeJaeAgogo
Level 0

Just gotta do it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »

I think it's a good system, which has been proven my plenty of games in the past. Arc the Lad, Disgaea, etc. The card mechanic is also pretty dope, I can see how important it will be to success in combat. I have a question: will the movement be the same as in the prototype, or will it allow you to actively have your character run around within a limited range? Pretty much will it be like FF Tactics or like Arc the Lad?

Can't wait to see this get polished up, though! Boss fights are gonna be marvelous.

It's crazy knowing I made these with my own hands: https://soundcloud.com/jaejaeagogo
Razzoriel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:14:38 AM »

Hello, I'm a game developer also developing a turn-based strategy game. My game is mostly focused on PvP, being slightly assymetrical at times.

Your proposed system of using HP is quite... weird. I'd fully understand if you had some sort of unique system in place where a specific character or class uses HP instead of MP for their moves, and it would completely make sense. Now, something which caught my eye is that you are attempting to create a game with NO RND, which means, all attacks hit, unless stated otherwise, AND, you want to create a system where a ranged unit can spend 90% HP to insta-kill another. You clearly underestimate the power of ranged attacks in a turn-based game, and this mechanic clearly shows it.

And then you want to make a very binary system where if an unit runs out of MP, all attacks deal double damage. This is a very dangerous approach to fight back overcommitment, and again, it is only worsened by the fact all attacks have no RND.

I'm very skeptical two hundred people said this system works. I'll just remind you that most people that look into your game are very glad to be chosen and will most likely shy away from any constructive criticism they give by the fact your very first line discussing your game's mechanics is to mock someone who has a negative opinion on your game. I'll be very happy to get the influx of unhappy gamers from your title so that they can have a real taste of how a true, balanced TBS game is like, but at the same time I'm not going to suck up to you and say you have an awesome incredible 100% balanced system in place so you fall face-first on the ground. You have a lot of work to do regarding balancing, and addressing criticism.
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:45:23 AM »

I think it's a good system, which has been proven my plenty of games in the past. Arc the Lad, Disgaea, etc. The card mechanic is also pretty dope, I can see how important it will be to success in combat. I have a question: will the movement be the same as in the prototype, or will it allow you to actively have your character run around within a limited range? Pretty much will it be like FF Tactics or like Arc the Lad?

Can't wait to see this get polished up, though! Boss fights are gonna be marvelous.

Thank you! About the movement - your unit will only move (and the animation will play) once you've made your choice, you won't be able to move him further or move him back - once the move is done it's done, like in the chess.

Hello, I'm a game developer also developing a turn-based strategy game. My game is mostly focused on PvP, being slightly assymetrical at times.

Your proposed system of using HP is quite... weird. I'd fully understand if you had some sort of unique system in place where a specific character or class uses HP instead of MP for their moves, and it would completely make sense. Now, something which caught my eye is that you are attempting to create a game with NO RND, which means, all attacks hit, unless stated otherwise, AND, you want to create a system where a ranged unit can spend 90% HP to insta-kill another. You clearly underestimate the power of ranged attacks in a turn-based game, and this mechanic clearly shows it.

And then you want to make a very binary system where if an unit runs out of MP, all attacks deal double damage. This is a very dangerous approach to fight back overcommitment, and again, it is only worsened by the fact all attacks have no RND.

I'm very skeptical two hundred people said this system works. I'll just remind you that most people that look into your game are very glad to be chosen and will most likely shy away from any constructive criticism they give by the fact your very first line discussing your game's mechanics is to mock someone who has a negative opinion on your game. I'll be very happy to get the influx of unhappy gamers from your title so that they can have a real taste of how a true, balanced TBS game is like, but at the same time I'm not going to suck up to you and say you have an awesome incredible 100% balanced system in place so you fall face-first on the ground. You have a lot of work to do regarding balancing, and addressing criticism.

I don't think you provide any valid critism except for that you are skeptical about it. Well, we are not attempting - we are developing a game with such a combat system, we find it to be fun and so did many people we've played against. We did have negative feedback as well, and used it for making some changes. Of course, after release and getting more feedback we will be balancing and tuning it further, but the underlying mechanics will still be there, as we like them and they are what we want to make.

You are welcome to disagree and have another combat system, but that is how the gamedev world works, we cannot all be working on the same game with different textures.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic