Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:48:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)General programming discussion
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: General programming discussion  (Read 29247 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »

So I feel like there's stuff to discuss from time to time that neither fits in the happy nor the grumpy programmer room.

I could swear there used to be a neutral programmer room, but I can't find it, so creating a new thread.

If anybody does know of and can find any old thread for this purpose, please do bump that up instead and I'll ask to have this removed again in that case.

Don't have anything on my mind just now tho, but felt like creating this in anticipation of the next time something comes up, and in the meantime perhaps someone else has something interesting to vent!

_glitch
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:40:25 PM »

The neutral programmer room is here.
It would be useless to bump it.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:58:35 AM »

Am currently participating in the global game jam at my college. I've made a game about cats that act as nodes for transmitting information, and that information is musical notes. The cats sing the notes to other cats that themselves sing the notes, forming chains and waves of music.

I am tired beyond the point where coffee helps, but I need to keep going in order to finish this thing for tomorrow! Almost done with most core features!

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:52:21 AM »

Speaking of tiredness - it really is productive to take even a short break.

Was working on importing some library source and for the life of me I could not get it to compile out the last few errors - it was driving me nuts. Decided to go out and water the garden, came back in and I immediately noticed that I had two tabs with the same file name in the IDE?  I somehow started editing from the directory in which I unpacked the library archive, instead of the one in the project folder Embarrassed   Everything became clear after that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:03:21 AM by AaronB » Logged

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 12:24:24 AM »

I feel this thread should not die so quickly just because we decide to abuse the other threads for discussion, so here's something that's relevant to programmers maybe:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/292382/Devs_can_now_mess_around_with_Valves_free_beta_Steam_Audio_SDK.php

Valve released a solution for advanced audio, featuring spatial simulation propagation and more things.
Unity plugin and C API are already available, UE4 integration yet to come.
I feel this might be beneficial mostly to someone working on a 3D or even VR game.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 12:27:28 AM »

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5508110/why-is-this-program-erroneously-rejected-by-three-c-compilers

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 12:49:04 AM »

I'm looking forward to the day when you can input a screenshot of your game and have the compiler produce fully functional source code.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 12:55:39 AM »

I do want to see if the suggestion to run the image through that Python thing actually works tho!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 03:59:59 AM »

helloworld.png

It's like a bad joke or something. "Hello, I've tried compiling this image file into machine code with three different compilers, and none of them work!!! I'm shook!!!!!"

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 04:52:49 AM »

I like the one where pixels with ASCII codes or whatever are being drawn manually into an image which is then opened in a text editor to reveal source code.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:56:18 AM »

I'd seen that one before, yeah. It's actually pretty impressive that someone is that familiar with file formats to be able to do this.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:29 AM »

I just assumed they were looking at a cheat sheet off screen / outside of screen recording bounds. c;

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 05:27:11 AM »

Still, you have to understand how the two file formats map out to each other to not end up with garbage lol

Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 09:37:06 PM »

Today I learnt that Perlin noise is overkill in 3d, blurry white noise gives nicer, more varied results, is computationally cheaper and is still smmoooooth®

eh
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 03:30:33 AM »

TIL Visual Studio 2017's CMake actually works really well. A bit late now that all my projects run on premake but hey it's still nice.
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »

TIL Visual Studio 2017's CMake actually works really well. A bit late now that all my projects run on premake but hey it's still nice.

The only reason I wanted to learn CMake was to compile my projects on Windows, but I totally gave up once I learned I can use MinGW on Linux and compile for Windows. Only using Make, now.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2017, 07:16:53 AM »

http://pstreams.sourceforge.net/

I'll be using a bunch of shell scripts to get my editor to compile stuff, so this seems neat.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »

Looks neat, but it passes stuff to the system shell which is (1) not that portable (2) super dangerous (see this warning). I guess it's ok for an editor, but no way would I include that library in a game.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 01:14:44 AM »

Yeah, it's not going into the game.

I mean, I could perhaps find a way to do it from C++ instead of bash and batch scripts. It just seems clunky when there are so many useful utils in the shell. But I'd be happy to listen to other suggestions. Running other programs from C++ generally does seem to boil down to system() or popen() as far as I can see, tho... Unless there are system-specific utilities for each OS or something.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 01:18:34 AM »

Yeah, it's not going into the game.

I mean, I could perhaps find a way to do it from C++ instead of bash and batch scripts. It just seems clunky when there are so many useful utils in the shell. But I'd be happy to listen to other suggestions. Running other programs from C++ generally does seem to boil down to system() or popen() as far as I can see, tho... Unless there are system-specific utilities for each OS or something.

Yeah system() isn't really what you want most of the time because you usually want the application to run in an actual process in parallel.
On windows there's CreateProcess() while on linux, the "standard solution" seems to be a combination of fork() and exec() which sounds pretty fishy to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic