Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:30:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)General programming discussion
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: General programming discussion  (Read 29195 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »

Scripting languages will let you get on with the process of experimenting with programming while hiding some of the more difficult concepts from you, such as memory management. They will generally have the easiest learning curve but you need to expand outward into other things eventually as they tend not to scale well to large projects. Python is a popular scripting language and might be a good one to start with. I recommend Ruby personally, but it is less popular.
Just a quick warning about Python: it is easy to learn and it is easy to test your stuff using the Python Interpreter, but building an actual executable to share with others can be a massive pain if you don't know what you are doing. Just something to be aware of if you have any desire to solicit feedback from others.

Personally, as someone who values simplicity and straightforwardness, I really like Haxe, which has several options available to it for game development. Not sure if its the best starting point but I certainly wouldn't consider it the worst.
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2017, 10:28:49 AM »

Scripting languages will let you get on with the process of experimenting with programming while hiding some of the more difficult concepts from you, such as memory management. They will generally have the easiest learning curve but you need to expand outward into other things eventually as they tend not to scale well to large projects. Python is a popular scripting language and might be a good one to start with. I recommend Ruby personally, but it is less popular.
Just a quick warning about Python: it is easy to learn and it is easy to test your stuff using the Python Interpreter, but building an actual executable to share with others can be a massive pain if you don't know what you are doing. Just something to be aware of if you have any desire to solicit feedback from others.

Personally, as someone who values simplicity and straightforwardness, I really like Haxe, which has several options available to it for game development. Not sure if its the best starting point but I certainly wouldn't consider it the worst.

I think Dead Cells is Haxe - the first commercial game that I personally am aware of using it but certainly there's even more that I just don't know about.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »

Paper's Please was Haxe. As was Evoland. But yeah, it doesn't have a huge base atm. Still looks like a solid option, though.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »

You can further explore games made in Haxe here: http://haxe.org/use-cases/games/

I should also add: I use OpenFL with the FlashDevelop IDE, which makes building executables pretty easy. I don't generally touch the command prompt for deploys. You may have to use the command prompt BRIEFLY to install a few things up front, but its nothing overly complicated.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »

In a post I read that that a teacher, that had never programmed before, in a month, made a learning-game for her students... I think that is remarkable for this engine  Grin

That's pretty cool.

I *almost* took on some freelance work for someone who had developed educational software using GameMaker. If that had gone ahead I might have been able to offer much more information on the subject. :}

Iji is an excellent game created with GameMaker (pre-GM2 I believe).

Cost seems to be about $100 nowadays, but there is a free trial.

https://www.yoyogames.com/get

Wow! Thank you so much for all details! Probably, soon will post other questions Grin Smiley

Not a problem. There are a lot of options out there and it can be difficult to know where to start.

Yeah. Deployment can be an issue with scripting languages.

I haven't used Python to exe tools for *years*, but this might be worth looking at:

http://www.py2exe.org/

As a fallback, you can also embed Python into a minimal application. It is documented and definitely 100% possible (I have done it myself) but even with the decent doco it might be difficult for someone new to software development.

As a second fallback, assuming Windows, you could always include a link to the standalone Python installer with your game (or launch it with your installer).

For Linux, most distros will include a Python 2 and Python 3 executable or have one readily installable. For OS X, I don't know, but maybe it has something similar?

I think you've got the wrong name on your quotation for this post, you're actually quoting me, not cathy101. Wink

I believe I checked Haxe out at one point as it looked fascinating. I didn't go ahead with it in the end, but I think that was just because it didn't fit the particular problem I was trying to solve at the time. I found some personal notes I'd made from 2014 and a Hello World program, but I couldn't find much more, so it looks like I didn't get too deep into it. Was there possibly a concern relating to the Neko VM?

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

I'll also vouch for Haxe. It's a wonderful language and if you are on windows there is next to no inertia to getting a game running. Haxeflixel is the icing on the cake too.

Garthy : I've never had any issues with nekovm. I use that target for local desktop testing and I haven't had any issues. IIRC it has no debugger though.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »

Garthy : I've never had any issues with nekovm. I use that target for local desktop testing and I haven't had any issues. IIRC it has no debugger though.

That's good to hear. I wonder what my concern at the time was? Perhaps it just didn't fit into some aspect of what I was working on at the time.

EDIT:

I remember now. Smiley It was the Boehm Garbage Collector used by NekoVM. Integrating it into the project I was working on caused some sort of interaction that was bad enough that it caused me to drop Haxe suddenly. I can't remember what the actual interaction was. Having said that, I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying Haxe based on that one experience.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:02:16 AM by Garthy » Logged
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »

Has anyone here used Haxe compiled to Javascript for any games? I was considering using it for a project, but some sources seem to imply it's not that well supported.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2017, 06:42:46 AM »

That's good to hear. I wonder what my concern at the time was? Perhaps it just didn't fit into some aspect of what I was working on at the time.

EDIT:

I remember now. Smiley It was the Boehm Garbage Collector used by NekoVM. Integrating it into the project I was working on caused some sort of interaction that was bad enough that it caused me to drop Haxe suddenly. I can't remember what the actual interaction was. Having said that, I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying Haxe based on that one experience.

Ah ok. I should also mention Haxe was pretty rought before 3.0 when it started to get tools like haxelib which would do all the work for you setting up a project etc.

Regarding the javascript target. Assuming HTML5 target is the same thing. I used it about 12-18 months ago and it was pretty rough. Not sure if it's better now. This was for HaxeFlixel if that matters.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2017, 11:34:03 AM »

Has anyone here used Haxe compiled to Javascript for any games? I was considering using it for a project, but some sources seem to imply it's not that well supported.

I read on a blog that Haxe is similar to Typescript, it has a JS-like syntax.

Games:

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »

I read on a blog that Haxe is similar to Typescript, it has a JS-like syntax.

I wouldnt say that. It's essentially a massively improved actionscript. It's more similar to Java/C# than Javascript.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »

That's not what I meant. I get the syntax. I meant library support for making games, performance, etc.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »

Ah ok. I should also mention Haxe was pretty rought before 3.0 when it started to get tools like haxelib which would do all the work for you setting up a project etc.

It looked quite promising to me at the time, and still does look very interesting. I'm not surprised to hear that it has been polished further since then. I like the range of targets that it supports- rather then just platforms, there is a mix of desktop, scripting, and web languages. I swear there were less targets when I last checked it out.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:01:37 PM by Garthy » Logged
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »

I'd guess it was about 3-4 new targets in the last 2 years have gone in (lua, c#, java would be the ones I remember off the top of my head).

I've heard the C++ target has also been improved to the point it's somewhat readable now.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2017, 02:28:15 AM »

Haxe seems very interesting, I would look into it, but not soon. I have all my game-ready library on Unity (dialogue system, platform controller, etc.), currently I make a ready prototype in an 1 hour. To port everything on Haxe it will not be immediate.

Games:

kairunotabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »

Vouch to Haxe although I rarely use it at all, the toolchain is buttery-smooth on development machines with Windows host OS with little to no configuration required. The language itself is a better incarnation of ActionScript that most game developers once loved.

Aside from HaxeFlixel and HaxePunk, check out snowkit and luxeengine (both made by the same author, Sven.)
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »

I'd guess it was about 3-4 new targets in the last 2 years have gone in (lua, c#, java would be the ones I remember off the top of my head).

I've heard the C++ target has also been improved to the point it's somewhat readable now.

Neat. Smiley Cheers also for the extra info.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2017, 02:32:36 PM »

https://codegolf.stackexchange.com/questions/1956/generate-the-longest-error-message-in-c

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »

Code:
#include __FILE__
Brilliant
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »

Code: