Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412090 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdemech

June 27, 2024, 04:09:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNate Soulman: Paranormal Investigator (Metroidvania Inspired)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Nate Soulman: Paranormal Investigator (Metroidvania Inspired)  (Read 3711 times)
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »

Hey everyone!

I'm beginning to make a 2-D action platform game similar to games like Metroid or Castlevania SOTN. The sprites for the game are 2-D but the environments are 3-D. Instead of going through a level and getting to a goal like in Super Mario Bros., you are inside of a haunted mansion and you go to different rooms to solve whatever problems arise (from the plot). The mansion has 5 areas in it that include:
  • The main area
  • The basement area
  • The outside area
  • The kitchen area
  • The bedroom area

The player plays as a paranormal investigator who was hired to go to an old mansion and get rid of a ghost that lives there. The butler who hired you shows you where the ghost is (it’s the first boss). After you beat and calm the boss, the boss tells you that there are other ghost in the mansion and asks you if you will calm down those other ghost. You agree and she joins you as your first ability. So now you must explore the mansion to calm the other ghost. Here's what the investigator looks like.

Each area in the mansion contains a boss that you have to defeat. When you beat the boss, it becomes calm and joins you as a new ability. These abilities the player get are:
  • Shoot energy bullets
  • Double jump
  • A powerful punch
  • Teleport from your current place to a marked place
  • Create a platform underneath you

Hopefully you'll give me feedback as I start posting more info about the game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:10:02 PM by weakfoggy » Logged

- Weakfoggy
nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »

Very interesting concept. I like the idea of a boss joining you as a new ability. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses Hand Thumbs Up Right
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

Weekly Update #1

This week has been focused on doing some of the 2-D sprites for the game. I've been working on the animations for the main character as well as his projectile attack. Also during the week, I've created the map for the first area of the game, the Main Room.

The player can access the map by simply pausing the game. The map covers the whole screen so that it's easier to read. The blue squares are the rooms in the area while the pink square is the room the player is currently in. The player will have access to the whole map while in that map's area. The "S" on the map represents save points and the skull shows where the boss is or was if the player already beat it. The circles show Upgrades that the player hasn't got yet. There are 4 different kinds of Upgrades.

This Upgrade is the HP Upgrade and will increase the player's Max HP by 10 when obtained. There are 40 of these in total.

This Upgrade is the Super HP Upgrade and will increase the player's Max HP by 50 when obtained. There are 10 of these in total.

This Upgrade is the Bullet Upgrade and will increase the player's Energy Ball damage by 1 point when obtained. There are 4 of these in total, making the max damage done by Bullets to be 5 points of damage.

This Upgrade is the Punch Upgrade and will increase the player's Punch damage by 4 points when obtained. There are 4 of these in total, making the max damage done by Punch attacks to be 20 points of damage.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a bed with my name on it Tired.

- Weakfoggy
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »

Weekly Update #2

This update is full of images and animations that I have been working on throughout the week. Let's start with the main character's idle:

He's not as spry as your typical video game heroes. He always spends time either researching the paranormal or hunting them and as such, he only gets a couple hours of sleep ever day.

Next up is the animation of the energy ball the player can shoot:

Here are the mini-maps for every area in the game (not including the Main Room):
  • Basement

An old basement filled with spider-webs and cold cement. It also leads to a secret area in the Outside area. Speaking of Outside area...
  • Outside

This is the outside area which contains a garden, a shed, a sewer system, and a greenhouse. Speaking of green...
  • Kitchen

The kitchen area, where only the finest cuisine is prepared. This place also serves as a storage area for the food. Speaking of area...
  • Bedroom

The bedroom area is the largest area in the game. Not only is it the place where people sleep but it's also the place where people go to entertain themselves with pool or with arcade games. Speaking of to...
  • Roof

The final area of the game. This place will test the player's skill of the game. This place has no secrets in it.

The best of last, here is the boss of the second area, the Basement. He is also the boss who gives you the Double Jump:

The bat will stand there and wait then it will charge up for one of these 2 (technically 4) attacks:

A jump attack:

This attack can either be a short jump or a super jump. The ending part of the animation is him landing.

A spit attack:

This attack can either be him shooting 3 poison balls at once or 3 one after another.

Sorry if this update seems long but a lot has happen this week. Next week I will show some gameplay of the game to you guys. Until then, enjoy the rest of your day (or night).
Gentleman
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:54:42 AM by weakfoggy » Logged

- Weakfoggy
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:03:51 PM »

Weekly Update #3 & #4

First off, sorry that there was no update for week #3. Real life + Snow Storms + Home of the Nerds Game Jam (Which was a good experience, I'd recommend doing a Game Jam yourself) + Just laziness = Slow development and slow updates.

With that said, here is the gameplay video I promised (sorry for the quality of the video):

In other news, I finally decided on the title for my game. It's called:

In the last 2 weeks, I have tweaked with the controls and started working on the levels.
I also made a common enemy the player will run into:

He will either look left or right (depending on the player's location) then he will charge up his shot and fire.

Also completed are the sprites for the first boss, a wall dragon:

He will pop out of the wall, charge his shot while aiming at the player, then he fires and goes into the wall. Since you have no way of attacking yet, you have to survive until the boss calms down and stops attacking you. This boss gives you the energy ball attack when you "beat" it.

Beg
Hope you can forgive me for the delay but stuff happen, you know?

- Weakfoggy
nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 08:29:05 PM »

Awesome title! I like the look of the gameplay. One suggestion, maybe have his feet move a little. Just his feet. I can't help but feel tied up watching him move around. Oh and great looking bosses! Beer!
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 03:42:54 AM »

Awesome title! I like the look of the gameplay. One suggestion, maybe have his feet move a little. Just his feet. I can't help but feel tied up watching him move around. Oh and great looking bosses! Beer!

Thanks for the feedback! Currently, I only have his idle animation done so that's the only thing that plays. I need to made animations for moving, ducking (so you can aim your energy balls lower), jumping, punching, and summoning a portal for teleportation or a platform to stand on.

Hopefully, I'll get those done soon  Coffee

- Weakfoggy
nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 03:59:15 AM »

All that sounds exciting! Can't wait for a demo Smiley Keep up the good work Hand Thumbs Up Right
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:35:57 AM »

Weekly Update #5

Nothing much I can show this week. Once again, life gave me lemons and now I gotta make lmaonade. I have been working on the main character's animations so hopefully I'll get that done this week.

- Weakfoggy
nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »

Just do what you can. It'll take as long as it takes. Looking forward to more of the main character's animations. Smiley
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

Weekly Update #6

All of this weeks updates are in this video:

Basically, this week I did Nate's animations and tweaked some scripts in the game:

Nate Ducking:

Nate Walking:

Nate Jumping:

Nate Punching:

Nate Summoning:

- Weakfoggy
nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:59:23 PM »

He's way more lively. Great job! Smiley
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 05:53:46 PM »

Weekly Update #7

This week, on Nate Soulman Update...

More rooms were made.
More code was scripted.
And textures were made:

The texture of Breakable Rocks.

The texture of the platform the player makes (middle is see-through).

Also made was a new enemy:

While cute in looks, this little guy can become a threat. If the player is touching this guy, then the player will start losing health. Range is the safer option for this enemy but the enemy has 4 HP, which means one punch will destroy it (if you plan the punch right).

- Weakfoggy
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »

I like the story here. Are you planning on decorating the rooms? Like, giving them furniture and stuff?

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 09:12:49 AM »

I like the story here. Are you planning on decorating the rooms? Like, giving them furniture and stuff?

Thanks!
Ya, the rooms will have furniture in the background depending on the room. For example, the main room will have chairs and tables while the kitchen will have ovens and barrels in the storage area.

- Weakfoggy
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »

Ok. Nice

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »

Weekly Update #8

This week I worked on more enemies and their sprites. I only have one new enemy to show, the Clock Cannon ghost:

The body of the Clock Cannon.

The arm of the Clock Cannon.

How the Clock Cannon works is that the arm will aim in a direction, depending on the time it's on, and then fire a fireball. After that, it will go to the next time and repeat. For example, the arm will aim up at 12 then fire a fireball then aim up and sightly right at 1 then fire another fireball then aim sightly up and right at 2.

"Hey Mr. Weakfoggy, why is there a clock enemy in your game?"

Enemies in this game are ghost that have become angry and transformed into a form of their choice. When the player destroys an enemy, he is really calming the ghost down and when the player touches the spirit that pops out of the enemy, the spirit is healing the player a little then going away. So the ghosts who become the Clock Cannon enemies thought "Hey, you know what I wanted to be for years? A clock that can shoot fireballs." (I mean that's what I want to be when I grow up).

- Weakfoggy
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »

Weekly Update #9
This week, I mainly worked on getting sprites and animations done so here's what I have so far:

First is another enemy, a Robot Miner:

This enemy will keep going forward, swinging his pickaxe until he hits a wall, in which case he'll turn around.

Next up is a preview for the third boss of the game, the flower boss:

The boss' head will open up, charge up, shoot some pollen, and then close again. You can only hurt the boss when her head is revealed.

Lastly, here is the Dusk family. The Dusk family were the owners of the mansion that you travel through:

This is Elyse Dusk, the daughter of the Dusk family.

She is the first boss of the game and becomes your energy ball attack. She's the person who "hired" you to go through the mansion.

Next is Ed Dusk, the son of the Dusk family.

Ed transforms into the bat boss and becomes your second ability, the double jump. He's not as responsible as his sister and is a constant trouble maker.

This is Eve Dusk, the aunt of the Dusk family.

Eve is the third boss of the game and gives you your punch attack. While she loves makeup and fashion, she loves nature even more.

This guy is Ethan Dusk, the uncle of the Dusk family.

Ethan is the fourth boss and gives you the ability to teleport. Ethan is the main chef of the mansion and loves every minute cooking.

This woman is Eleanor Dusk, the mother of the Dusk family.

She is the fifth boss and she becomes your final ability, the ability to make platforms underneath you. She may seem uptight by her children's standards but she does love them very much.

Lastly is the father of the Dusk family, Eric Dusk.

Eric is the final boss of the game. He is a wise man especially with money, although he may appear bland to some people.

- Weakfoggy
weakfoggy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 05:26:22 PM »

Weekly Update #10

Wow, up to the 10th update already! The time sure flew by quickly. Anyways, more sprites:

I realized that I forgot to make a portal sprite for the main character's teleport ability, so here it is:

Next is more sprites for the Plant Boss. The Plant Boss has two fist, one on each side of the screen. So here's the sprite of the fist:

And here's the sprite of the vines that the fist are attached to:

Also in the fight, when the Plant's face is exposed, it will shoot pollen out:

Depending on how tough the fight is, there may also be spiky oranges that grow then fall and hurt the player:

Next is the fourth boss of the game. Since every other boss in the game is large, I wanted a boss that was about the same size as Nate and so this boss is an oven that jumps, charges, shoots food, and uses his portal to teleport himself and his food:

These are the foods that the boss can shoot. They're not rotating, they face upward but then turn when coming down:

My progress on the game may become slower from now on (life stuff) but I'll try to continue working on the game as best as I can. Until next time, have a great day/night!

Coffee

- Weakfoggy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic