Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:06:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdouble // slash - A 2D hack and slash
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: double // slash - A 2D hack and slash  (Read 3482 times)
snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »

I'm glad to read that you're feeling better, and congratulations on the game-jam awards! ^_^

That boss may not be too aggressive--it might be fine if you just slow it down a little, I suspect.

Of course, much depends on your intentions for this boss: if it's more aggressive than you intend, then fair enough!

I fixed the timing on it, that's what was needed! Thank you for the suggestion.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »

It seems--from my external perspective, at least--that things are progressing fairly swiftly. If so, then I'm glad of it! ^_^

I fixed the timing on it, that's what was needed! Thank you for the suggestion.

My pleasure, and I'm glad to read that you've improved the boss in question. ^_^

theaffronted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »

You are doing an art stream @ https://www.twitch.tv/spacepaganempire Cry
snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 04:18:57 PM »

You are doing an art stream @ https://www.twitch.tv/spacepaganempire Cry
Yeah I am! I'm fixing some animations and might move on to some other characters other than Dimka tonight!
gantt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 05:48:40 PM »

I really like your character design and the fact that you value historical accuracy in your character animation!

Founder & Chief @Bluword<br />Read the stories of game developers at Bluword
snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2017, 11:53:22 AM »

I really like your character design and the fact that you value historical accuracy in your character animation!
Thank you!
snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »

Hey again, I'll be doing more art for double // slash here in a few minutes! https://www.twitch.tv/spacepaganempire
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »

Will there be music from that same country? If you secretly told me what country it is I could listen in now and get you some nice tunes later

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2017, 03:02:13 PM »

Sorry about not having a post on Monday, it was spring break for us, so I was just kinda here, there and everywhere.

Anyway! I got animations fixed for the jump and the idle for the character and a new animation, the land animation, this week for Dimka I’ll be doing a walking and two attack animations!

I got two enemies animations done, I’m starting on the design and animations for the third and final enemy type in this game and then starting on bosses! The enemies animation are pretty minimal, just because I’m running a bit behind on schedule for this game and would like more time but into bosses and but more importantly populating levels.

Nesting Doll

Volos' Eyes

Speaking of which I have some tiles and background elements done, but just don’t have them on me at the moment, because I’m not feeling too well at the moment.

I might stream more work later in the week because that more forces me to do things, but we’ll have to see, when I am streaming I’ll post where and when.

theaffronted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »

I really like the new animations. The fixed jump looks great, and the enemies look good as well.
I think the Nesting Doll enemies could use a little more animation(maybe rotation when they attack), but they look really cool. I really like the way they punch when they attack.
Can't wait to see some levels with the tiles in it.
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »

Really appreciate how you are attentive to, and knowledgeable about historical details. I would really embrace that!

Also liking the character sprites, though I've got a comment on the 2nd animation, the "cat-step" onto the toes; I think you've drawn the angle of the ankle too extreme. The foot is back behind the ankle - with the heel and toes vertically aligned; it's an impossible position. (Maybe not for a ballerina? but it's too extreme for combat, I think).

See how the right side of the right leg ends up having blank space beneath it when the character moves to her toes? I think that,  if you fill in a few pixels there, you may have to reshape the foot a bit, but it would probably look more natural.

(Sorry if there are art terms for this and I don't know them.  Facepalm)

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »

Dimka's animations do look improved, to my eye. ^_^

That said, I agree with PixelNoise, above: the forward ankle in the jumping animation takes on a rather... painful-looking position. o_o

I like the nesting doll enemy. Its attack looks somewhat tentative--is that intentional? If so, I think that it could provide an interesting bit of personality to the foe. ^_^

The eye looks interesting--but right now it doesn't look very "round" to my... well... eye. Tongue (Presuming that it's intended to be round, of course.) Perhaps it might look more circular if you shaved a pixel off of each horizontal and vertical of its outline?

The enemies animation are pretty minimal, just because I’m running a bit behind on schedule for this game and would like more time but into bosses ...

Hmm... This may well ignore some element of player psychology, so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt...

That said, how much time do you expect players to spend in boss fights, relative to combatting standard enemies? If the player is likely to spend more time fighting those standard enemies, then--depending on the ratio of time with bosses to time with standard enemies, and the degree to which each makes an impact--those enemies may have a greater aesthetic impact than the bosses.

Speaking of which I have some tiles and background elements done, but just don’t have them on me at the moment, because I’m not feeling too well at the moment.

You're sick again? I'm sorry to read it, and I hope that you recover soon. :/

snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 06:05:51 PM »

Sorry I haven’t been replying, it's late now, I’ll make sure to go through the thread tomorrow and respond to everyone. I’m so thankful you guys have been giving me tons of feedback!

So since I saw everyone talking about this, I fixed Dimka’s ankle!

I’ve been working on the last enemy this week, it’s for the rain stage!

But I’ve been spending the last little while populating levels and working on animations. Animation wise I really have nothing to show at the moment but here’s some screenshots of the levels so far!

theaffronted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 07:07:29 PM »

I really like the design of the new enemy. They look really cool, and different from the other enemies. Can't wait to see them implemented into the game.

The ankle also looks a lot better. Tears of Joy

When do you think we could see video of the game, with Dimka doing her double // slashing???
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »

The new enemy looks interesting--a water elemental, or something similar, I take it?

As to the ankle, examination of the new GIF seems to suggest that her forward ankle still ends up in that uncomfortable-looking position in the final frame--unless I'm mistaken about which ankle others were commenting on?

snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »

Wow okay! Responded to everyone that left comments the past two weeks or so, thank you for being so patient with me!

Will there be music from that same country? If you secretly told me what country it is I could listen in now and get you some nice tunes later
Music from the same country, I’m honestly not sure. I never really decided on a country, but was basing a lot of the character designs off of Poland and Russia.

I really like the new animations. The fixed jump looks great, and the enemies look good as well.
I think the Nesting Doll enemies could use a little more animation(maybe rotation when they attack), but they look really cool. I really like the way they punch when they attack.
Can't wait to see some levels with the tiles in it.
Thank you! I was thinking about that, but honestly will take a few minutes when I get the time(if I do).

Really appreciate how you are attentive to, and knowledgeable about historical details. I would really embrace that!
Also liking the character sprites, though I've got a comment on the 2nd animation, the "cat-step" onto the toes; I think you've drawn the angle of the ankle too extreme. The foot is back behind the ankle - with the heel and toes vertically aligned; it's an impossible position. (Maybe not for a ballerina? but it's too extreme for combat, I think).
See how the right side of the right leg ends up having blank space beneath it when the character moves to her toes? I think that,  if you fill in a few pixels there, you may have to reshape the foot a bit, but it would probably look more natural.
(Sorry if there are art terms for this and I don't know them.  Facepalm)
Thank you for the feedback, I did fix the ankle, so I hope that’s to your liking, and removed the frame where that animation looked awkward, just because playing around with it, I couldn’t get it to work. Also, it’s fine, I barely know terms myself!

The eye looks interesting--but right now it doesn't look very "round" to my... well... eye. Tongue (Presuming that it's intended to be round, of course.) Perhaps it might look more circular if you shaved a pixel off of each horizontal and vertical of its outline?

The enemies animation are pretty minimal, just because I’m running a bit behind on schedule for this game and would like more time but into bosses ...

Hmm... This may well ignore some element of player psychology, so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt...

That said, how much time do you expect players to spend in boss fights, relative to combatting standard enemies? If the player is likely to spend more time fighting those standard enemies, then--depending on the ratio of time with bosses to time with standard enemies, and the degree to which each makes an impact--those enemies may have a greater aesthetic impact than the bosses.

Thank for the feedback, I’ll look at what your suggestion would be for the eye looks like soon, it does look a bit awkward but, I’ll see what I can do! I understand your feelings about the enemies and bosses, my wording was a bit awkward there, I meant I more wanted to do simplified enemies and simplified animations in a personality sense, than the bosses, so I can invest time into them looking how I wanted to.

I really like the design of the new enemy. They look really cool, and different from the other enemies. Can't wait to see them implemented into the game.

The ankle also looks a lot better. Tears of Joy

When do you think we could see video of the game, with Dimka doing her double // slashing???
Thank you again! And soon hopefully!

The new enemy looks interesting--a water elemental, or something similar, I take it?

As to the ankle, examination of the new GIF seems to suggest that her forward ankle still ends up in that uncomfortable-looking position in the final frame--unless I'm mistaken about which ankle others were commenting on?
Yes, it’s a water elemental, the boss will be something similar as well for this stage!
I assumed that people were talking about her ankle moving too far back, but I can look at it later, when polishing the game more, I just need to move on for now.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »

I understand your feelings about the enemies and bosses, my wording was a bit awkward there, I meant I more wanted to do simplified enemies and simplified animations in a personality sense, than the bosses, so I can invest time into them looking how I wanted to.

Ah, fair enough. I still feel that personality might have more effect given the standard enemies (for the same reasons given above, I believe), but I do defer to your knowledge of your project. And I can see benefit in having memorable bosses, come to that!

I assumed that people were talking about her ankle moving too far back, but I can look at it later, when polishing the game more, I just need to move on for now.

Ah--I was looking at the angle of her foot, rather than its position. (Try pointing your foot quite that far down.)

But fair enough--polish can wait, I imagine!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2017, 09:36:42 AM »

The ankle animation definitely looks better, though I agree that it's still a bit odd at the very end, and also that you can move on and not worry about it right now Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
snarkfowl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »

Hey! So for some reason I can’t make gifs at the moment and I don’t have any game footage on me, so sorry about that, its been a long week for me, but as soon as I can I’ll update the post as soon as I can!

So last week was huge for animation.

I got Dimka’s walk cycle done and her attack animation, those and all of their other animations are now all in the game

For a boss, right now I ended up recoloring Dimka’s animations, to make a sort of more robot looking Dimka for now, I wanted to create another sprite, but as of right now, in about a week or so I’ll be working on another game project with a friend, so, I’m trying to “finish” as much as I can in this game to say I’ve at least completed something, and I can pick it up again later.

Along with that boss, I have done the other two bosses in the game, a golem, and a male variant of the water enemy I had last time, which are both fully animated.

Speaking of which, I animated the water enemies, and the other smaller enemies now are all animating in the game and have started placing them in where the old prefabs were, which I’m really sorry I’m unable to show that at the moment.

I have gotten a health bar currently for the player working as well, just now going to make health kits in the game, so you don’t only lose health until you die and respawn, I might make it so a mini health bar appears for enemies, but for now that's not a big deal, its more getting health bars now for the bosses, which will be easy.

I have also gotten progressing to the next level done!

This week I’m going to finish putting in the animations, boss health bars, get enemy placed, menus and sounds!
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »

Good luck with the new game, and with getting this one "done" before you begin it! ^_^

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic