Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:22:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPorting mobile game to PC/Steam
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Porting mobile game to PC/Steam  (Read 1078 times)
forsbit
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »

Hello everyone,

Several months ago we released our game Monster Run on iTunes and Play market. Now we are thinking about porting it to PC and submitting to Steam Greenlight.

What do you think? It seems that mobile game ports are not sometime well received by the Steam community. Is it worth trying and  what changes would you suggest to make to the game to make it more suitable for PC?

The game is 2D platformer runner with lots of difficult but short levels packed into three different worlds.

Below is a link to game Townhall thread

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57881.msg1281327

Thank you for your advice
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:13:45 PM »

Mobile ports on Steam get a bad rep sometimes, but they can work, see for example AdVenture Capitalist or Plague Inc.

If this is an automatic-runner kind of game, what I would suggest is adapt the controls to resemble more traditional platformers where the character can be moved freely with the controller, rather than being automatic as in mobile. If this is doable, I think it would be best in terms of adapting it to PC, and it would go a long way to prevent a backslash on Steam from a low effort port.

forsbit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »

Thank you for the suggestion. We thought about making it a traditional side scroller platformer, but that would be equivalent to developing a completely new game and just reusing some of the art.

Right now the idea is to make it premium, remove all IAP and advertising and associated mechanics and rebalancing levels to make them more interesting.
Mahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »

We thought about making it a traditional side scroller platformer, but that would be equivalent to developing a completely new game and just reusing some of the art.

Perhaps this is the way to go. Personally I would advice against releasing an auto-runner on Steam, I don't think it would be received well.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic