Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:37:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGo Go Kudamono!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: Go Go Kudamono!  (Read 24269 times)
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2019, 06:16:07 AM »

Here's a glimpse of a set-piece style chase where FBI dogs are after you on the rooftops of Barkopolis City.

I'm trying to get some special "set-piece" effect in every level :

So far there is 0 actual 3D models in the game. All of these effects are "fake" 3D done by stretching flat shapes & scaling sprites. Smiley

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2019, 07:24:13 AM »

my friend, this is simply wonderful. if you told me when i was writing haikus about this back on like page 2 or whatever that it would be shock troopers x yoshi's island with insanely cool line scrolling style stuff i wouldn't have even been able to comprehend how cool it actually looks
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2019, 07:56:34 AM »

Thanks so much man!!! I'm tryin to go all out on this game

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »

Thanks so much man!!! I'm tryin to go all out on this game
it shows! i hope this is a flattering comparison but if i hadn't seen this and somebody showed me that gif and said it was konjak's next game i would believe them
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2019, 08:19:10 AM »

Thanks! His work is rad  Hand Metal Left

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »

super impressive. the fake 3d is an awesome flair to add to your game, and i think it further distinguishes that your game is something to pay attention to.

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2019, 07:33:44 AM »

Here's a lil' gif from the prehistoric mountain area. I don't think I've shown any of this level yet on here.
This level has a few different sections as you wind your way from the base, through some lava caves to eventually reach the peak.

Alex Strook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »

The fake 3d levels on top of building is awesome, gives it a unique vibe !

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2019, 06:42:45 AM »

This guy's the boss of the forest area I showed a while back. Most of that level is going to get totally re-done since the art style has changed a bit since then, but this boss is rad and will mostly stay as-is. Smiley

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »

The boss is rad indeed, posting to follow!
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »

Introducing a new Mad-Max inspired area: Toxic waist-land! Smiley
This is the home of the nomadic lizard tribes, as well as their desert racing championships.

This level is unique in that I'm not using tiles for the environment, but rather building it out of drawn separate parts- this should make it feel more cobbled together and shanty-town like.

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2019, 04:35:24 AM »

I'm now re-tackling Barkopolis, the very first area I worked on back when the game was still in the pre-production/testing phase.
It's crazy to see how much the game has changed Smiley It's almost a completely different game now!

New: (sorry for the low gif quality )

Old:

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »

More Barkopolis stuff!
I've now got Apple team-mates for the Big Apple city. Smiley

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »

even though it's rude to shoot hundreds of bullets at dogs, still looks insanely good
TheArtistJiii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »

Whoops, I just realized its been like 5 months since I last posted Shocked

The game is coming along super well, lots of new additions and lots of of upgrades. I generally tweet once a week showing something cool about the game, so form now on I'll try to make an effort to post here as well Hand Thumbs Up Left

Here's a little tidbit showing how much the visuals have evolved in the 2 years I've been working on the project. I'm finally revisiting Barkopolis City, which was the first pre-production test level I worked on. Tomorrow I'll do another post showing a bit of combat and and a new part of the city level.

Nice lookign game. What made you decide to shift from top down to isometric??

"I'm Jiii" -Jiii
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »

So there are 2 changes that happen between this.

One is a general art style change, where most things now have lines, and are larger on screen. This persists through all the content in the game.
The isometric view however is only found in this city level, I chose this look for this level because the angled view helps emphasize verticality and makes the environment feel more urban- This is inspired by Earthboud's Fourside city that does the same thing Smiley

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »

Earthbound-style battle background shader!

A few days ago I wrote my own Earthbound inspired shader to make these rad backgrounds. I'm not ready to announce what part Go Go Kudamono this is for, but I have gotten several requests from folks asking how I made this shader, so I thought I'd make this post devoted to the process. Also, please excuse any spelling errors / typos... I'm dyslexic and rarely catch them :p

NOTE: any shader code is written in the formal Unity likes. I'm not very experienced with writing shaders and am not familiar with any other shader coding.

STEP 1: Understand what is happening in the EB backgrounds
Before you can code any effects, you need to understand which effects are being employed. I found this nifty read-me [https://github.com/gjtorikian/Earthbound-Battle-Backgrounds-JS/blob/gh-pages/README.md] that details some of the effects written by a gentleman who wrote a javascript version of the EB backgrounds.

He says:
There are also three types of distortions that use the result of the Offset function:

- Horizontal translations, where each line is shifted left by the given number of pixels
- Horizontal interlaced translations, where every other line is shifted right by the given number of pixels
- Vertical compression translations, where each line is shifted up or down by the given number of pixels

Unfortunately for me, there are definitely a few more things happening in these backgrounds that just sin distortion. From what I can tell there's also a color shift, where the colors of each distorted background shift from one location to the next, and an overlay allowing 2 distorted & color shifted backgrounds to simultaneously occur.

I couldn't find any info online on how exactly these are done, so I took my best guess.

STEP 2: Distortion Effects

I use 4 variables (per distorted background) in my shader to control the distortion effects:
_EffectTypeA
_MagnitudeA
_FrequencyA
_SpeedA

Each of these variables end in an "A" because I have 2 sets of these, one for each background that can be overlaid.

EffectType is an integer that controls which effect is being used. 0 = sin horizontal 1 = sin interlaced 2 = sin vertical.
Magnitude, Frequency and Speed all effect the size and speed of the waves.

In that same readme he gives the formula for the effect:
Offset (y, t) = A sin ( F*y + S*t )

where:
y is the vertical coordinate being transformed
t is time that's elapsed
A is the amplitude
F is the frequency
S is the speed or frameskip of the transformation

In my shader this formula is re-written as:

SIN X

// the amount to displace each pixel
float2 disp = float2(0,0);

// calculates how much to displace the x coordinate based on the variables above, time and the y coordinate.
disp.x = _MagnitudeA * sin(_FrequencyA * i.uv.y + _SpeedA * _Time.x);

// the color of the pixel
float4 col = tex2D( _Pattern1, i.uv + disp);

SIN Y

Same as above, but I displace the Y based on the Y rather than X based on Y:
disp.y = _MagnitudeA * sin(_FrequencyA * i.uv.y + _SpeedA * _Time.x);

SIN INTERLACED

Same as SIN X, but on every other pixel I multiply the displacement by -1.

// Using the # of vertical pixels on screen, I check if it's even or odd to produce 1 or -1 every other pixel.
float everyOther = 1 - ((floor(i.uv.y * _GameResolutionHeight) % 2) * 2);

// same as SIN X
disp.x = _MagnitudeA * sin(_FrequencyA * i.uv.y + _SpeedA * _Time.x);

// make the distortion negative every other time.
disp.x = disp.x * everyOther;

STEP 3: Color shift
This one's a bit tricky. On the SNES, sprites were assigned color pallets, so shifting colors was as easy as rotating the palette. In unity sprites/textures are images don't have their palettes stored separately.

To get around this, I wrote a script that converts a background image into two new pngs: The first is a black & white version of the pattern. The second is a color pallet that's the number of colors in the image wide, and 1px tall. I then can use the value of any pixel in the black and white image to correspond to each pixel of the palette image. 100% white being the left most pixel on the palette, and 100% black being the right-most pixel. With this setup I'm able to put a modifier on the value % I'm using to look up the pixel to shift the color.

I ended up just using another sin wave to move this % up and down Smiley

// gets the value from 0 to 1 for the pixel, representing it's value from white to black, which I can use to look up a corresponding spot on the palette.
float colorValueB = ((colB.r + colB.g + colB.b) / 3);

// the wave that shifts the color value. You can play with this to get some differing results
float colorOffsetB =  sin(_Time.x * _ColorCycleSpeedB);

// look up the color to show from the palette
float4 colorB = tex2D(_PaletteB, float2(colorValueB - colorOffsetB, 0));

You could also just do a linear color change, which is what I think Earthbound does:

colorOffsetB = _Time.x * _ColorCycleSpeedB;

STEP 4: Combining the Patterns
For this I had to do some guesswork. I was pretty sure that one of the few color combining features the SNES supported was color add, a simple ColorA + ColorB = ColorC, so this is what I opted for.

I did add one step extra by adding an intensity slider on each of the two patterns, so I was able to control how intensely that color was combined. Most likely in the SNES version, half of each color was added to each other to create a new overlapping color.

float4 finalColor = (colorA * _IntenselyA) + (colorB * _IntenselyB);

Most likely in Earthbound this was just set to an equal mix something like:
finalColor = (colorA * 0.5) + (colorB * 0.5);

I hope ya'll found that interesting / helpful!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 06:12:10 PM by snackycactus » Logged

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »

What is this? Vegetables as protagonist? Apples? This project pleases me.

Seriously though, everything looks gorgeous!

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2019, 04:11:56 AM »

Absolutely incredible. Saw a gif of this on Twitter a while back. Super excited.   CrazyHand Money Right

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »

The Barkopolis level is finally done! Here's some screenshots (avoiding a few of the coolest surprises in the level)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic