Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:50:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGo Go Kudamono!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Go Go Kudamono!  (Read 24299 times)
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2017, 01:36:01 PM »

This looks really good, and seems very tight, this is a gemmmmm  Gomez

Hue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2017, 07:05:12 AM »

This looks really good so far, loving the visual style and the amount of care and attention to detail you're putting into every aspect of the game. Looking forward to this : )

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »

Thanks so much! @quantumpotato That video was super interesting! Not super applicable since the game has a fixed angle camera, but its still great stuff to know.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2017, 03:41:35 PM »

Thanks so much! @quantumpotato That video was super interesting! Not super applicable since the game has a fixed angle camera, but its still great stuff to know.

Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm I posted the wrong video

Much more applicable, discussing scrolling boundaries eg. Super metroid will change the camera up as you jump but will wait before changing it when you fall. You can move around horizontally in the middle third without moving camera, reach an outer third and the camera will scroll << that kind of stuff seems more applicable.

They step through a bunch of different camera techniques from 2D games.

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »

Oh awesome! This video is awesome, thanks!

Also, sorry for not posting in a while, the game is coming along really well, but I'm actually in the middle of moving. I'll try to get a new posting up with a video sometime in the next week or two, but if things get harry with my move it could be longer. Once I'm settled, expect this thread to get a lot more active! :D

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2017, 01:50:04 PM »

Looks so colorful and fun! Smiley

Sylph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »

This is awesome I love so much retro style, so snes-ish congrats
if you want come some day post in our fb group dedicated to retro indie material !
https://www.facebook.com/groups/913448975388675/?fref=ts

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2017, 03:12:21 PM »

Thanks for the link, I'll def check out your FB group!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »

Oh awesome! This video is awesome, thanks!

Also, sorry for not posting in a while, the game is coming along really well, but I'm actually in the middle of moving. I'll try to get a new posting up with a video sometime in the next week or two, but if things get harry with my move it could be longer. Once I'm settled, expect this thread to get a lot more active! :D

Cool, gl w/ the move!
Hoping to see this game's status update past 0% Smiley

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »

Hey folks,
I'm still SUPER busy with my move (I'm going out of the country, so there's a LOT to figure out), but I'm still finding time here and there to work on some lil' things.

Today I tackled something I've been wanting for a while, and that's pixel perfect scaling. It doesn't sound that glamorous, but when you're making a pixelated game, one of the most important visual rules is to never have multiple sizes of pixels on screen. That said, I've always wanted to be able to scale objects programmatically– something you can't generally do (especially in Unity)  without suddenly enlarging or shrinking the pixels of whatever you are scaling.

My solution was a bit complex... basically anytime the scale changes, I convert the sprite image into a texture, then blit it to something unity calls a RenderTexture before converting it back into a sprite at the end. (Blitting basically means to manually draw each pixel.)

The guy on the left is showing the character at a consistent, larger size, so you can see detail / pixels as they are added & removed with scaling.
The one on the right is what it would look like in-game, always staying at a 1:1 pixel size.

Moving the project past the 0% mark - THIS WILL HAPPEN! A large reason for my move is to make my life more affordable and happy so that I can finish this project. I'm all in, so it'll definitely happen! Just don't expect to see much progress for another month or so.

P.S. Can anyone recognize where my temporary background art is from?

SwizzleLLC
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »

That's awesome looking pixel scaling, good job.

Solo Indie Developer working on Mr. Donovan
Mr. Donovan|Steam Page|@MrDonovanGame
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2017, 09:32:54 AM »

Ah, cool, I hadn't thought of that approach to things before. Nice idea - I'll have to bookmark this page to keep it in mind.

Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »

Today I tackled something I've been wanting for a while, and that's pixel perfect scaling. It doesn't sound that glamorous, but when you're making a pixelated game, one of the most important visual rules is to never have multiple sizes of pixels on screen.

Yeeees! This is something that really bothers me, when there's different pixel sizes on different game sprites. Also if the sprite gets rotated and the pixel suddenly rotates as well Tongue

I love the color palette and the game looks like a lot of fun! Following!

irn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »

So much color Crazy . Keep up the good work!

Pawl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »

How did the move go? Any Juicy June updates? :-)

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2017, 07:50:10 PM »

The move is going great, and I'm desperate to get back to work on the game. It's been nearly 2 months without any chance to work. (One month of packing and prep and now a month without my computer at all!)

All of our things were meant to be arriving tomorrow (my computer included) but we just found out that the moving truck hasn't even entered the COUNTRY yet, so it may be a bit longer  No No NO

Once it comes I'll probably do a much more comprehensive post about my move, what it means for the project and what will be on my plate next for Go Go Kudamono. Hopefully it'll be soon!

Pawl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

Sounds good, can't wait! Sorry to hear about the moving truck delay. I guess that means a lot more design-on-paper in the short term Cheesy

l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2017, 01:41:59 AM »

Looks great Smiley love the unique art-style
snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »

¡Hola, Buen día!

This is my first post since my big move to MEXICO Who, Me?! I'll be learning Spanish, so expect to see some random Spanish exclamations from here on out as I learn more. (I knew none when I got here!)

The idea with moving to Mexico was to get more for my dollar so I could support myself while working on Go Go Kudamono for as long as I need to make the game awesome. What I didn't account for was the movers accidentally leaving our things at the border, making a whopping 1 month delay in getting my computer and being able to start work. Well, the good news is that everything is here, and I'm all set up and working again!

Right now my current goal is to polish out Barkopolis as much as possible into a finished level. This way I can use it as a quality meter-stick for the rest of the game. Here's a little gif showing some of the progress, new areas, and a glimpse of one new enemy.

I think this may also be the first time anyone has seen the new scoring system...? Well, ta-da! there's scores now!
Here's a bigger gif showing the waiter's attack Smiley

snackycactus
Level 1

YO! Game Design!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2017, 05:08:55 PM »

Hola amigos!

I'm in the middle of adding a new combat feature that's pretty fun so I thought I'd show it off a bit. A lot of the design in GGK is inspired by arcade shooters. This feature is inspired by the "bombs" you'd see in any SHUMP game. Bombs are essential to most SHUMPs as they provide a strategic "get out of jail free" card to the player, allowing them to clear a screen or greatly damage a powerful enemy. I wanted to add an extra element of decision-making to bomb use, so in GGK, your bombs actually ARE your team-mates. So long as you have one team mate following you, you can choose to sacrifice him by throwing them at the enemy, dealing a ton of damage.

I've also added an element of skill by making their blast radius rather small and not stopping time completely while you aim. This means that an unskilled or sloppy player could miss!

What's fun is that currently I don't have the ability tied to your actual team-mates, so I have an unlimited supply of bombs! Here's a lil' gif of me wrecking up the place with em.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic