Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:52:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Dungeon Boy
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Dungeon Boy  (Read 9168 times)
fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2017, 05:19:54 PM »

.:: Super Dungeon Boy ::.

Super Dungeon Boy, a platform game with pixelated graphics
with a few hints of shading to create an interesting environment.

The game play focuses on fast combat, you will have to demonstrate a quick response to enemy attacks.
Keeping distance and positioning correct are vital. The enemies have little resistance, but they move
quickly. The closer, the fiercer. There is no body-to-body combat, so you should have accurate shots.

I am teaching my dears to defend themselves. And they're doing great. Grin
They also know how to swim, but for some reason they do not like water ... they get very agitated Cheesy

The game is also filled with secret passages with treasures.
Only a true explorer can have these achievements.

.:: Download Demo ::.

Still I intend to improve many things in this game, but it has a mechanic
in an advanced stage and can already be played by itch.io.

I'd love to hear your opinion after experiencing the gameplay.
  • What are your expectations regarding this game?
  • What would make you buy this game?

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 04:28:16 AM by fireboy » Logged

fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:20:53 PM »

Hello!

I just started a project, a platform game with pixelated graphics with a few hints of shading to create an interesting environment. So far I'm referring to him as Super Dungeon Boy.

I do not have many skills with art, so I decided to buy assets to work with. ^^
But I promise to work hard on programming and gameplay to make up for it.

How did you find the environment?
Would this game succeed on Steam?

thanks!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:16:45 PM by fireboy » Logged

Ruskul
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:22:47 PM »

Construct 2?
fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:25:13 PM »

Unity 5
It's the engine that most identifies me at the moment.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:32:13 PM by fireboy » Logged

Ruskul
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:40:43 PM »

Ah, I once saw the assets on the c2 market place.  I never noticed them in unity, but its a lot larger of a market to wade through );

Did you do the platform behavior yourself so far?  If so, may I ask what methods you have used?

(like raycasts, point based, box2d physics, etc...)
fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:07:30 PM »

Ah, I once saw the assets on the c2 market place.  I never noticed them in unity, but its a lot larger of a market to wade through );

Did you do the platform behavior yourself so far?  If so, may I ask what methods you have used?

(like raycasts, point based, box2d physics, etc...)
2D physics, trigges (raycast as the nature of the problem asks), image point ... these things. I imagine that in Unity all this gives more work when it is intended to make a pixelated 2D game.

For some stubbornness I think I can get around some of the problems I've encountered in other projects.

In this image you can see how the project is going.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »

i doubt it will even succeed in steam greenlight will all the people downvoting and reporting you because you're using assets.
People will directly refer to this (super platformer engine) which is the most popular and best selling game template in construct2 store. (and probably won't even care you'r using unity)
The problem is that visual is what sells. You can have the best platformer engine and great level design, people won't care at all.
fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »

i doubt it will even succeed in steam greenlight will all the people downvoting and reporting you because you're using assets.
People will directly refer to this (super platformer engine) which is the most popular and best selling game template in construct2 store. (and probably won't even care you'r using unity)
The problem is that visual is what sells. You can have the best platformer engine and great level design, people won't care at all.
I understand.
I need to study construct 2. I think it's a great engine, but I have not explored it yet.

Thank you for your attention.

fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 09:18:36 AM »

I'm working on character movement.

I'm using Unity mecanim to get the most out of the ease of having a state machine controlling everything.

The bow has gained its own script to control the blend of states: bow (normal) and bowWall (shoot by sliding on the wall). Having the state itself helps me not to need to query the state of the state machine, and simply run each of the state-specific scripts.

Result of 2 days

Frankienaitor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 10:54:30 AM »

Looks great already Smiley
Make it so the arrows in the wall can be used as platforms :d
Any ideas on what direction you're going to take this in?
A hand crafted metroidvania kind of thing? Or more of a Spelunky sort of affair? (or something else entirely?)

Also, I wouldn't worry about the assets yet. Just replace them with something self made (or contracted) when you get to it Wink

fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »

Looks great already Smiley
Make it so the arrows in the wall can be used as platforms :d
Any ideas on what direction you're going to take this in?
A hand crafted metroidvania kind of thing? Or more of a Spelunky sort of affair? (or something else entirely?)

Also, I wouldn't worry about the assets yet. Just replace them with something self made (or contracted) when you get to it Wink
I like Spelunky. But I believe it only works because it is procedural.
I think of exploration, hidden passages, puzzles with the water level that can rise (modifying the mechanics of submerged areas), a moderate challenge for precision shots. The main thing is that it is fun to face the enemies ... without many thorns in the way. I like games with more freedom, I just do not know if it is this way that I will.

About art, I'm afraid I'm being too generic to use an asset. But I like this graphic and it inspires me to continue.

And thanks for the comment. Thanks for all the comments. They all help me in some way. Gentleman

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:40:37 AM »

Hey looking good, I've got to second the Frankienaitor's point about using the arrows as platforms to jump off, as they stick out of the wall they seem ideally suited for that purpose and would add a lot of game play possibilities

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »

Feeling much better with the run animation! keep it up

FROGANUS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 09:54:55 AM »

I don't know how I feel about the player's bangs animation.

If you could tidy that up, maybe give him a moustache or something, I think you'd have something pretty solid here..

Gentleman Hand Metal Right

-Fro-gAH-nus
fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »

Hey looking good, I've got to second the Frankienaitor's point about using the arrows as platforms to jump off, as they stick out of the wall they seem ideally suited for that purpose and would add a lot of game play possibilities
I can anticipate that I will test some possibilities. I would also like to use the arrows for some mechanics.
The character is already able to jump on the walls, but I can create some walls of ice to explore the mechanics of grabbing the arrows and jumping leaning on them.

Feeling much better with the run animation! keep it up
I was very rushed with the first video ^^
I will work as much as possible for the fluidity of the sprites and the movement.

I don't know how I feel about the player's bangs animation.

If you could tidy that up, maybe give him a moustache or something, I think you'd have something pretty solid here..

Gentleman Hand Metal Right
I do not know exactly what to say ... my main function is programming. But thank you for the comment.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »

Hey - don't worry about the art for now. What you've got is good enough to generate interest - and like others said, it shouldn't be hard to attract a talented artist to join you, or to contract.

For now, just keep doing what you're doing, and play to your strengths. Build some slick gameplay, figure out if you want procedural/hand-crafted, etc! Following  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »

Hey - don't worry about the art for now. What you've got is good enough to generate interest - and like others said, it shouldn't be hard to attract a talented artist to join you, or to contract.

For now, just keep doing what you're doing, and play to your strengths. Build some slick gameplay, figure out if you want procedural/hand-crafted, etc! Following  Beer!
Motivator. I will continue with all my might. I'm glad you found it interesting. I still have some more cool effects to put into the game. It's gonna be cool.

Pixel Noise. I listened to some of your songs, and I enjoyed your work. I even tried to listen to them while testing the game, but I think I'm thinking of something more agitated for the game ^^ ... but they are very good.

I've been working a lot these days and have not had more than a week off to work on the project. But these days yielded several improvements.

* Almost all the mechanics of the character implemented. All I can do is do something cool with the arrows on the walls and reduce the friction on the ice.
* Shader lighting. Watch the glow of the torches, around the heart and the rays of the sun.
* Shader submerged. If I simply put a transparent layer on the character it would not have the same strong contrast that the shader gives me.
* Platforms. Up or to the sides, the character is not left behind. (This rule is basic, but the engine does not give it for free ^^)

I will still have much work:
* Particles. I will work hard on them, they are very important.
* Enemies. One of the strengths of the game. They must be challenging.
* Items. It would be cool to be able to collect anything .. so far this has not been shown in the videos.
* Maps. I'll have lots of maps to build. It would be good to ease the process.

See you.

dan.marchand
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »

I really like the way this looks! Excited to see where it goes
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 07:56:09 PM »

Pixel Noise. I listened to some of your songs, and I enjoyed your work. I even tried to listen to them while testing the game, but I think I'm thinking of something more agitated for the game ^^ ... but they are very good.

Thanks for listening!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
fireboy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »

I have no graphical enhancements to display, but they are significant performance improvements.

Before the collisions were improvised with boxes. Boxes have great performance, but adjusting them the way it was done was cumbersome and time-consuming.

Fortunately, Tiled is a great map editor and with the help of it he was able to create collision meshs.

Now collisions are loaded with the map. As the collision engine has preference for convex objects this is the end result.

Polygon optimization is all done by the Unity Polygon Collider component. All you need to do is enter the points.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic