Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:26:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopCombat animation for a tactical RPG - feedback needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Combat animation for a tactical RPG - feedback needed  (Read 2864 times)
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:03:35 AM »

We're working on a tactical RPG with some card game elements called Ash of Gods.
We have just finished all the battle animations for one of the characters, Rumlin (he is actually our first fully animated character).

Here's one of the animations:

What do you think of this? Is it lifelike?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
TEETH
Level 0

who the hell uses aim or msn anymore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 07:38:55 PM »

In animation, a lot of times you don't want to do just life like stuff. You want each character to have a personality, and it seems like you've done just that. Rumlin's animation looks good to me!

Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »

In animation, a lot of times you don't want to do just life like stuff. You want each character to have a personality, and it seems like you've done just that. Rumlin's animation looks good to me!

Yep, that is what we went for, but we were worried if we didn't go over the top with it - I guess not if you like it.
Thank you for your feedback.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
Luno
Level 1

now comes good sailing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »

For the stab, I think the return to idle is a bit too long and deliberate; Currently he pulls back for a moment and poses with the knife out before placing it in it sheath and then folding his arms...I think it would benefit from having some of that cut or rolled into one motion.

Another thing you might try to make it more snappy and impactful is  taking some frames out for the stab actually coming out? It looks a little to smooth, slow, realistic for my taste (almost like this has been rotoscoped!) but not super impactful.

I assume you're gong to add more impact animation/particles later; this talk has some great tips to that end:

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:37:34 AM »

Ok two things stand out to me.
One he has an extra flourish on the animation facing up/right that is missing on the one facing front/right wich makes the front right seem weaker.

The second thing is he's stabbing 'through' the opponent not actually stabbing into them. You need to in your animation establish an object that he's stabbing so that the knife can stick realistically into a fixed point and then put your follow through into emphasising that hit.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic