Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:57:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOnslaught: Tower Defense and real physics (Demo available)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Onslaught: Tower Defense and real physics (Demo available)  (Read 529 times)
idunlop_oeFun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »

Hello, I'm working on an experimental game called 'Onslaught'. In simple terms it's a Tower Defense game built around real physics. This simple combination allows for some interesting emergent gameplay and scenarios.

The current v0.06 build is a complete one level experience.

v0.06 Changes:
– overhauled the prototype artwork / completely new look
– play in 3D (was previously restricted to top-down view)
– added ‘Help’ button; explains controls
– new controls work in 3D (spin around focus, zoom in / out)
– add warning indicator that points to newly spawning enemies
– redesigned level sequence
– added new “boost” item; place near turrets and can be configured to increase shoot frequency or range.
– fixed issues with enemy navigation around slower moving enemies.
– added some basic sound effect work for all items and enemies
– improved water splash effect
– misc. fixes
Controls:
– when you are in the game, click on the ‘Help’ button to see latest controls.

You can download the latest version from here:

https://oefun.com/onslaught/

If you take the time to play it I'd love to hear what you think - good or bad. Thanks!

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »

Was going to give this a try, but I notice your download link says Windows 10. Can I assume this will also run on Windows 7 64bit?

idunlop_oeFun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »

Was going to give this a try, but I notice your download link says Windows 10. Can I assume this will also run on Windows 7 64bit?

That would be my assumption... but it's only been tested on Windows 10. I tried, but could not find any Unity 3D (that's what I'm using) documentation on specific Windows supported platforms or issues.

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »

OK.  I'll download and let you know how things go...

idunlop_oeFun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »

OK.  I'll download and let you know how things go...

Hand Thumbs Up Right

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:50:42 PM »

Nice intro screen  - not too sure about the water though – looks like golden mud (turns out the water shader is not loaded on the first showing of the intro screen, OK otherwise).

The controls to navigate the world are a bit awkward -  really just wanted to 'fly' through the environment using WASD and mouse look.  I feel this could cover everything for zooming, rotation and positioning.

I liked the gui for placing defenses – simple and intuitive.

Maybe I was not getting the strategy, but I was never able to 'beat' a wave.  With a lot of tower defense games you can usually destroy all of the enemy in the earlier waves, giving you some time to prepare for the next wave.  This gives a sense of satisfaction and a break from the tension.  With your game I never achieved this, instead more and more waves just kept coming. About half way through it was all too hectic and I felt defeated long before the game was over.

On the plus side I liked the enemy AI and how they would pile onto each other to their own detriment.  That was cool and definitely worth exploring.

idunlop_oeFun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »

Nice intro screen  - not too sure about the water though – looks like golden mud (turns out the water shader is not loaded on the first showing of the intro screen, OK otherwise).

Thanks for the bug report.

The controls to navigate the world are a bit awkward -  really just wanted to 'fly' through the environment using WASD and mouse look.  I feel this could cover everything for zooming, rotation and positioning.

Yeah, the controls are not final. Thanks for the feedback.

I liked the gui for placing defenses – simple and intuitive.

Thanks.

Maybe I was not getting the strategy, but I was never able to 'beat' a wave.  With a lot of tower defense games you can usually destroy all of the enemy in the earlier waves, giving you some time to prepare for the next wave.  This gives a sense of satisfaction and a break from the tension.  With your game I never achieved this, instead more and more waves just kept coming. About half way through it was all too hectic and I felt defeated long before the game was over.

I deliberately made the level tough as it's a prototype demo. Once you get the hang of some basics it's actually fairly easy. But yes, it's definitely too difficult for a "level 1" / tutorial level.

Did you place some ammo frequency / rate boosts next to a turret? That will significantly increase it's fire power. It's better than placing two turrets (albeit with less coverage). You can mouse click on a turret to see it's stats.

You can also place barriers to slow them down.

On the plus side I liked the enemy AI and how they would pile onto each other to their own detriment.  That was cool and definitely worth exploring.

Thanks. Yep, definitely one of the nice things about using rigid body physics.

AaronB
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »

You can also place barriers to slow them down.

I did play around with the barriers and I felt this was one of the unique aspects to your game. I think this could be really fun if the AI had a more aggressive lemming like behavior.  It would be satisfying to set up the barriers and watch a really fast moving wave crash into it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic