Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 09:37:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLooking for a BFF... or more
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for a BFF... or more  (Read 556 times)
RoloJo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »

Hi  Smiley

I am looking for anyone that is interested in joining me to make the mostest awesomest game evaaar. I will explain what I am creating in a bit but first let me say a bit about myself.

I taught myself to program about 5 years ago quite literally because I wanted to make a game and had an idea that has stayed with me ever since. The platform I have been using is Unity and C#, although I am quite happy to learn something else if need be. I consider myself a decent programmer although having had no programming education my approach can often be trial and error and a healthy amount google. I do spend most of my time at work doing some form of programming though.

So what I am creating is simple: a "living environment". I developed a system of equations a while back that allows for plant and animal populations to be linked to one another. The reason for it is to make something that I don't think any game has ever tried and I think it would add a lot of value to a number of games. It would allow for players actions on the environment to have repercussion or cause weather events to cause animals and plants to thrive or die off.

Over the last 5 years I have spent time figuring out both how it all works and what the most efficient way to implement it in a game world is. About two years ago I put aside enough time to make a simple demo that shows roughly how the whole thing works, even if the implementation wasn't that good back then. If you would like to see it then check out the link to download it. There is also a write up on it in that link and it will really help explain what is going on.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ebaqtnhh0gbiehs/AACMeCCBSDmEs9w06-2per_qa?dl=0

The abstract is reasonably concise and explains what I am excited about: "This paper discusses the Environmental Engine, a system to implement a dynamic natural world into a game. The engine provides many benefits including, providing a dynamic environment to players, adding new layers of gameplay, adding depth to weather used in a game, creating new economic dynamics and generating a more immersive environment. The engine is a system of mathematical equations where each species is represented by one equation. The population of each species depends on other species for its survival which provides a means to determine how species affect each other’s populations. The attributes of these mathematical equations make it fairly pliable to many games. While not a core element of this paper, the manner in which the Environmental Engine is implemented is important and hence is discussed."

So who am I looking for? Well certainly fellow hobbyists, people with their own ideas that could make this more than just a concept; someone who can code a bit would be great too. The truth is that beyond the concept of this living world I haven't focused on much outside of it. I have many ideas of what I would do, but I have tried to stay focused on this narrow aspect. In short what I have in mind is largely a blank slate that needs your input. I'd also be keen to join a team that thinks this idea could be implemented in your project.

Let me know if you would like to find out more.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic