Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:21:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDebatcles: Use Your Words! (desktop + mobile)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Debatcles: Use Your Words! (desktop + mobile)  (Read 948 times)
IBwWG
Level 0

In the Beginning was the Word Game (IBwWG)

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:48:53 AM »

Hi everyone!

Life and game context first Smiley

So...I was on a sort of self-imposed, burnout-related sabbatical last year.  I worked for 2-3 months learning HaxeFlixel and trying out various development methodologies, wrestling with the library bugs at the time, etc. on my secret project, Debatcles.  Then I shelved it in order to work on #mathildagame.  Well, I recently got set up again (now running Linux--had started under Windows) and compiled the game with the latest Haxe and HaxeFlixel, and found that it hardly needed any changes to work, which was really nice!

Since I am now actively looking for work again, meaning development may slow significantly, I thought I should at least share what I had done so far, to get some feedback, and maybe some help.

-------

OK, so what's the game idea?  It's a mashup between two genres, artillery and word construction.  You might call it an "symbolic argument simulator" in the sense that you can use your words to either build up your own argument, or to try to tear down your opponent's argument.

The core mechanic is simple:

1. make a word (word construction)
2a. either use it to construct your own argument (somewhat reminiscent of Tetris: drop your blocks from the sky), or:
2b. throw it at your opponent's argument to try to knock it down (artillery)

I really like these two genres and I think this mashup could potentially appeal to the union of their fans, rather than only the intersection.

Anyway, I have:

1. the core mechanic
2. testing infrastructure
3. achievements infrastructure
4. localization infrastructure
5. layout infrastructure to hopefully enable the game to play well in any orientation and resolution (making it easy to do both desktop and mobile from the same codebase)
6. prototype working on win, linux, and android
7. a notebook full of ideas

I don't yet have:

1. dictionary implementation
2. levels
3. tournament ladder
4. special abilities, etc.
5. multiplayer?
6. artwork
7. sound
8. music

Here's a screencap of the linux compile:

So, what do you think?  Is this something you'd have fun playing?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

KJB
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:50:48 AM by IBwWG » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic