Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:11:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)I'm experimenting on creating modular sprites for a platformer environments.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I'm experimenting on creating modular sprites for a platformer environments.  (Read 1305 times)
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2017, 05:35:43 PM »

Quick explanation: I'm starting to make a sidescroller, and i want it to have a HD handpainted look. So i did a sketch of how i want the game to look, and now i'm starting to break down this scene into assets that i can use modularly.

This is my first result. I'm pretty happy with it, and how much i can do with just this amount of sprites. Of course i'm going to make foreground and background elements, but first i want to nail down the process for creating the playable "layer" of the game.
There's some improvement i can make to the readability of platforms, but overall i feel like it's a great start. Got a grass/dirt road, a rock road, and some rocks that help hide and blend each segment to break repetition and hide seams. I'll probably make a few versions of each of these, as well.
Btw, i'm still not sure how the palette of the game will look, so i'm just figuring out the values right now. That's why it's black and white.

So what do you guys think about this process? Has anyone here had experience with this type of workflow and game art? Any insights you want to share? i'll gladly hear your suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:51:04 PM by TitoOliveira » Logged

Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »

While I haven't worked with this style personally, it brings to mind the Rayman Legends games. Looks really nice!

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »

While I haven't worked with this style personally, it brings to mind the Rayman Legends games. Looks really nice!

It's definitely a visual reference!
The stuff they do with Ubiart engine is pretty nice. I'm using Unity and there are tools that are similar to the Ubiart's tools for creating 2D terrains, like the Ferr2D Asset and the SmartSprite on Unity's roadmap. I'm 90% sure at some point i'll start using these tools to create the base terrain of the game, instead of placing straight roads one after the other.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:29:59 PM by TitoOliveira » Logged

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »

Always wondered how rayman engine worked. They achieved some pretty nice visuals! you seem to be on your way to achieving something like that, minus the automation.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic