Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:05:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSleep Tight - Pillow Forts and Monsters - Dev Log
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sleep Tight - Pillow Forts and Monsters - Dev Log  (Read 9267 times)
maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »

Intro:

Hey guys, I’m very new to the indie scene, but I’ve spent the last year working on a game with a couple very talented people, and I wanted to start a thread here to backtrack, share a bit of our development process, as well as keep people updated on our future stages.

The Game:
The game is called Sleep Tight. You play a kid defending your bedroom from monsters that come out at night. You spend your day’s building pillow forts, unlocking new guns, and buying power-ups, all to prepare for the night and the next wave of monsters. The goal is to see how many nights you can survive.

The Idea:
Jed and I grew up together, and have known eachother since we were 8 years old. In high school we made some games together. He is an amazing programmer, and I’m a decent artist. After high school, I went off to pursue a career on the art side of movies and video games (www.maxxburman.com) and Jed went off to pursue Computer Science.

While Jed was in college, he sent me a little protoype. It had placeholder art and was made in Panda, but it was super addicting and fun. I fell in love with the gameplay, and knew that it had a lot of potential. Years passed, but I never forgot about that game. In 2016, I finally sat down and started teaching myself unreal. As I started to resurrect this game, and come up with a look and style, Jed joined me to make the game we’ve wanted to make for so long.

The Gameplay:
It’s a twin stick shooter, with a progression system and different strategies you can take to try and survive. Killing monsters drops stars, which you can spend to unlock different skills in different categories. Each day, you’re given 8 suns that you can spend to build defenses, buy ammo, heal, or get powerups. Once you’ve spent all your suns, the next night starts.

The game gets progressively harder, and what starts as a few monsters, quickly turns into swarms. Building a giant fort with turrets, or unlocking strong powerups becomes crucial to surviving, as well as choosing the right gun, to deal the most damage, but manage your ammo use.

The Art:

The art style is very Pixar inspired, with hints of Ratchet and Clank. I wanted to make a game that hit the nostalgia bone, and made you feel like a kid, playing in your room. I’ll be sharing a lot of our inspirations and design work in the next couple posts!

The Team:
-In additional to Jed Jackoway and myself (Maxx Burman), we had a ton of amazing people help out with different parts, and I’ll  be sharing a lot of their work in the coming posts. Check these guys out, they’re incredible:

Matt Kohr / Concept Artist
Dylan Ekren / Concept Artist
Marcelo Pinheiro / 3d Artist
Dustin Mellum / 3d Artist
Josh Dyer / Animator
Tugdual Jaffre / Fx Artist
Fredrick Rattzen / Cover Art
Max Repka / Music

Current Build:
Here’s a few screenshots of where we’re at now! Just a preview. Thanks for checking this out and let us know what you think!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:31:00 PM by maxxburman » Logged

Tattomoosa
Level 0

Making The Decision Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »

Dope. Dig the Monsters Inc vibe. Monsters could definitely use some more visual feedback that they're taking damage when hit, and a puff of smoke or some other effect when their bodies disappear.

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:34:53 AM »

Here's some of the art work we started with!

Since we had a prototype, we had a clear to do list of everything we needed to design. We knew the monsters would really set the tone for the rest of the game, so we used that as our jumping off point. We started with a wide net, and explored some crazy awesome ideas, eventually honing it in to where we're at now!

The character designs were done by the incredible Dylan Ekren: http://sketchlab.net/

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:28:39 AM by maxxburman » Logged

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »

Here's some of the designs we did for our hero character.

We wanted to create a bad ass kid, he had to have attitude but likeable. In the back of our minds, we thought of the kid from bastion for feel, but without armor or anything that would take him out of the modern world. Again we started with a wide net, explored a bunch of different styles before honing in on the style of our game now.

Character design done by the talented Dylan Ekren! (www.sketchlab.net)

Our first round, trying different styles

We found a style we like, now trying to figure out costumes

More costume variations

Exploring different faces, and landing on our final design

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »

Very interesting to see the concept art and how it developed! It looks really good and I like his mischevious smirk

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:39:33 AM »

I'll definitely be sharing some more game play clips soon, but we did a ton of design work that I'm super proud of, and I want to show what we've done so far in the order we did it.

One of the main level design aspects of our game is 4 stations in the center of your bedroom, that act as permenent bariers to dodge and weave around when the hordes of monsters come, but also stations that you can heal at, or buy ammo etc. So before designing the room, we started designing our stations, nail the look with them, then design the level around that.

Theres 4 stations:
1: Research (Unlock skills)
2: Weapons (Equip guns and buy ammo)
3: Power (Heal and buy power ups)
4: Defenses (build walls and turrets)

Concept art by the incredible Matt Kohr (www.mattkohr.com) Heres our design evolution:

Initial sketches

Locking down ideas

Research Station, access your skill tree

Weapons Station, buy ammo and equip new guns

Power station, heal and buy powerups

Defense station, build walls and turrets

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:02:38 PM by maxxburman » Logged

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 02:17:46 AM »

This is vibrant and high quality! Can't wait to actually play this Smiley
spoonbob
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:18:17 AM »

The monster designs are really impressive and remind me of Monsters University!
I like the long-haired one who's starring at the mirror  Corny Laugh
Look forward to the finished work Smiley

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 12:11:36 PM »

Thanks guys!

Our goal for the environment was that it created the feeling of nostalgia for everyone. We had a lot of fun playing with all the different props and decorations, as well as playing with mood and color that creates the "comfortable and peaceful" time, and the "spooky adrenaline pumping" time.

Here's our design evolution for the bedroom. Again, concepts by the amazing Matt Kohr (www.mattkohr.com)

Let me know what you think!

Rough 3d blocking to get scale and proportions down

First pass concept, starting to play with wall decorations

Props and east wall design

Props and north wall design

Props and west wall design

A bunch of poster and box art graphics to populate the room with

Final day lighting and colors

Final night lighting and colors

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »

Incredible work. I really like how stark the difference is between the day and nighttime maps. Also, those trees in the windows are spooky.

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 11:52:09 AM »

Here's some of our weapon designs!

We wanted to create a variety of weapons that would be fun to play with, and again focus on building out this nostalgic world. Ratchet and clank was a huge influence on our weapon design. Heres the process we went through, designs by Matt Kohr (www.mattkohr.com)

First pass playing with styles and weapon types

Exploring shapes and designs for gun types

Getting closer to locking in our shapes as well as our colors

The final sketches, time to make them pretty

Some rough 3d models to block in form

Final gun designs

What do ya'll think of how these turned out?

Lizzard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »

Original idea, and looks absolutely great!

Maybe, next time post a video and not 30mb+ gifs. They load forever!  Tongue

I made "Ratz Instagib"!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/338170/

Currently working on "Roguelite Platformer with Online Coop"
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65659.0

Follow me on Titter!:
https://twitter.com/LinoSlahuschek
maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Lizzard, didn't know the gifs were so heavy. I swapped them out for screenshots, and I'll post some videos soon!

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »

Here's some Pillow Fort Designs!

Base building is a big part of this game, and we wanted for the walls and defenses to be fun, color and playful, but also have their strength be easily recognizable. Here's some of our designs:

First Pass design

Small wall designs

Medium wall designs

Heavy wall designs

Final small, medium, and heavy wall designs

nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 09:17:52 PM »

Simply gorgeous! Wish I could spend some time there right now Cheesy
Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 12:24:49 AM »

Final gun designs

What do ya'll think of how these turned out?

Wow, these look fantastic Gentleman! Can't wait to see game play footage of this!

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

FreakOrama
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 01:01:35 AM »

Looks great! Do you have a twitter account by any chance? =3

Games/Gamedev Hunter, currently developing Stitch
@FreakOramaXD
bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:51 AM »

Really fun idea! Love the playful look of it! Beer!

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »

Thank you guys for all the great responses! Its amazing to share this stuff after holding it all in for the last year!

I do have a twitter account: @maxxburman

It's mostly my film and cinematic work being posted on there, Im a bit of a closet indie dev at the moment, but I'll  be posting sleep tight stuff there soon!

maxxburman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 04:21:22 PM »

It wouldn't be a base building game with out turrets!! Here's our designs for the small, medium and large turrets!

Light Turret, Semi Auto

Medium Turret, Full Auto

Heavy Turret, Rockets!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic