Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:43:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSound Design: question about rates
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sound Design: question about rates  (Read 847 times)
s_harriton
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:12:34 PM »

I've never done any sound design work for a game.But today, while I was pitching my music for a game, the Dev said all he needed was sound design. So I thought...F it, I'll give it a try. He was looking for footsteps for a Metroid game he was making. I made them, just to see if I could. Of course when I asked what his budget was for making sounds if he liked my work he said $0.

This interaction left me with some questions. If he had thrown out a number, I would have had zero idea what was decent or lame for a sound design budget. Any sound designers out there that have some experience they can weigh in with?

Do you charge per asset created? how much?

Like for these footsteps I made him, how much does one expect to get $ wise?

https://soundcloud.com/stevenharriton/running-in-metal-suit

I recorded footsteps and mixed in clanking sounds and slightly distorted them to make them feel a little more retro. Any feedback on what I did would be really helpful since I have zero experience making these types of sounds for games. Thanks in advance TIG people!

WarpQueen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:38:03 AM »

The footsteps are very fast, but I suppose that is what the dev was going for? It also kind of sounds like someone jamming a shovel into sand. Is the character running in sand?

For prince comparison, take a look here and see what other people charge: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=category:85&price:%3E0

Most people who sell sound have an asset library ready and can just pick some appropriate sounds from there. Maybe adjust them a bit. If a dev want to hire someone to record sounds that fit the game exactly, that is going to cost more. When selling that, calculate how long it will take you to record the sounds, then make sure you have an ok hourly salary and see what the price is.

Since you are new at this, you will probably be a bit slower, and things will have to be iterated upon more, so that is something to take into account.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic