Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:31:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallHeart
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Heart  (Read 5717 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »

I participated in the past Ludum Dare, where my entry was Heart, a rather bleak and short 'experience' game. I polished it, and now I release it as finished. It's been inspired by increpare's Commonplace Book compo entry, Defect.

Play Heart (Flash)

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »

Cool little game agj.  The graphics are phenomenal, and are probably some of the best I've seen in a flash game.  I'll be honest and say that I didn't totally wrap my mind around the story, but having not played increpare's game probably didn't help.
Fuzz
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »

I played the compo version, and loved it. The new title screen is great. I'm interested by your talk of the game being "cumulative" and encouraging replaying, because it seemed quite linear to me. In the new version the character doesn't seem to respond to my keypresses of the right or left keys, so I can't progress.
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »

I was totally hoping he'd get to a huge office at the end from a promotion he got from screwing over those other people.

(I kid.  It was a neat little thing.)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 04:42:47 PM »

In the new version the character doesn't seem to respond to my keypresses of the right or left keys, so I can't progress.

You need to click on the game so that Flash registers your keypresses. Maybe I could add something that lets you know when the game doesn't have focus...

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Fuzz
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »

In the new version the character doesn't seem to respond to my keypresses of the right or left keys, so I can't progress.

You need to click on the game so that Flash registers your keypresses. Maybe I could add something that lets you know when the game doesn't have focus...

Anyway, thanks for the comments!
I tried that... Sad
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »

The graphics were really cool, I liked the pixeled style and ever-sloping ground. I didn't really get the story but I haven't replayed it like was encouraged, so...

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 05:54:35 PM »

You need to click on the game so that Flash registers your keypresses.
I tried that... Sad

Hrmrm. Well, I already contacted you through PM to see if we can fix that, but I also uploaded an updated version that checks to see if it's focused or not, and prompts the user to click on the SWF area if not (I hope it was worth it).

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

"a rather bleak and short 'experience' game" is THE thing in 2009. I suggest we call the genre "emocandy".

NO HOLD ON

SADLETS
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 06:03:01 PM by Zaratustra » Logged

Fuzz
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 05:58:52 PM »

You need to click on the game so that Flash registers your keypresses.
I tried that... Sad

Hrmrm. Well, I already contacted you through PM to see if we can fix that, but I also uploaded an updated version that checks to see if it's focused or not, and prompts the user to click on the SWF area if not (I hope it was worth it).
Works now! Smiley
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:14:01 PM »

"a rather bleak and short 'experience' game" is THE thing in 2009.

Wait, who else is making these games other than me and the dynamic duo Stephen+Terry? 'Cause I'm feeling like picking a fight now.

Teardrop games.

Works now! Smiley

Whoa, OK, weird.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »

"a rather bleak and short 'experience' game" is THE thing in 2009.

Wait, who else is making these games other than me and the dynamic duo Stephen+Terry? 'Cause I'm feeling like picking a fight now.

Teardrop games.
Don't worry about it agj.  Just ignore it; you and I both know comments like that aren't true, and aren't worth our time.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »

You can now refer to the shortlist here (sadly some games are missing from the db altogether I should add them)

Fuzz
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »

You can now refer to the shortlist here (sadly some games are missing from the db altogether I should add them)
All very good games.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 01:41:57 AM »

All very good games.

Mmm, that's actually quite a nice tag to have. Lets one play short, thoughtful games. I've got a feeling you meant it disparagingly, Zara, but... Sadlet. I kind of like it!

Hand Thumbs Up Left WizardHand Money Right

ALSO: I Wish I Were the Moon was totally cheery! Um, assuming you didn't drown the couple. Or take the boy off the moon. Or... um, never mind.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »

Don't worry about it agj.  Just ignore it; you and I both know comments like that aren't true, and aren't worth our time.

Oh, I was just being playful, sorry if I seemed serious.

Zaratustra, I don't see many 2009 games there... But those do seem to fit the description.

By the way, none of my games are in the DB. Mock Anger

Fuzz
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »

Campodecolor really needs to be, at least.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 07:18:26 PM »

Whaat? No, I'll start that one again from scratch eventually. As it is, I'm not terribly fond of it, and I need to reorganize it from the core in order to turn it into something I'd be proud of.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic