Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1354437 Posts in 62605 Topics- by 54354 Members - Latest Member: SylvanGames

January 18, 2019, 03:03:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsYear In The Trees
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: Year In The Trees  (Read 13034 times)
Luno
Level 1

now comes good sailing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2018, 12:14:44 PM »

Thanks hermit!

Uh, hmm, it certainly wasn't something that happened all at once...it's been an ongoing thing where every time I need a new effect I take a weekend and figure out how to write it myself, cementing and improving my understanding of how it all works and what can be done.

The first mention of "shader" in my commit history is actually from November of 2016! Of course, it won't take you 2 years, I work on shaders pretty sparsely.

Apparently, the first thing I tried to do was to emulate overlay and a few other photoshop blend modes...it looks like it took me about a week (and also note that I have a day job). I remember that I wanted these effects for my sprites because I was prototyping all the visual polish and post-effects in Photoshop and I was using overlay everywhere.

I found this article on Google and thought, "OK well I guess I have to learn these shader things then". At the time I couldn't find any other tutorials for this effect detailed enough for a complete beginner, so I was literally working off of Unity's docs, that article, and Nvidia's CG docs (these aren't great, Microsoft's HLSL reference is much better).

I wasn't even writing much code that week either, I definitely remember spending a lot of time reading articles and introductions trying to understand how the hell any of this worked.

I was truly starting from 0; I'd never really done any computer graphics or 3D before and I honestly didn't even know what shaders or even vertices/meshes were. Like I knew the term "mesh" from unity components, but I don't think I could have told you what it was... "like, something to do with 3D rendering I guess?" and I had been doing 2D stuff in Unity for about 7 months at that point!

I think you can definitely start getting useful results for your game in a weekend, especially with the right intros and guides. Like I had made 3 or 4 useful shaders for the game early on and I was still pretty confused and unclear about how a lot of it worked.

litHermit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »

That's a very thorough insight into your learning process, thanks! Smiley Very illuminating
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »

Is there anything you wanted to know specifically?

It looks like you have different times of day for zones, but you're using the same tileset. That is super interesting to me.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Luno
Level 1

now comes good sailing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 01, 2018, 09:33:27 PM »

It looks like you have different times of day for zones, but you're using the same tileset. That is super interesting to me.

Ah yeah, believe it or not that's 100% just blending a color over the entire scene with different math. All of the weather is that + particle systems too. Season changes are palette swaps (and enabling/disabling a few additional things like snow sprites for instance).

Mochnant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2018, 08:26:19 AM »

Lovely waterfall, @luno.  I don't know a lot about shaders and I found this devblog very insightful, thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic