Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:02:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHuman Sponge (working title),2D story-driven platformer with puzzle elements
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Human Sponge (working title),2D story-driven platformer with puzzle elements  (Read 1122 times)
elastico90
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »

Hi Folks!
Today I want to say hello to this board and start a devlog on my current project "The Human Sponge". The title is still WIP..

The Human Sponge (working title)

About the game
You control that green running being with the large eyes. Your target is to transport water to different locations - however, the water can be transported liquid, as water vapour or even as solid ice blocks - it always depends on the level and the current goal.

What to do with all the water do you ask?
Well, your target is to deg all the tiny little sunflowers and help them growing. It is also planned, that there'll be different flowers that give you some special abilities.

I'll you show some very early screenshots.

These are my tiles so far. As you'll see, I'm trying to use some kind of pixel art for my game - but, I'm not a highly gifted artist. I'm always happy about any feedback!

The game features a custom developed gui (very basic!).

and its own level editor. This is also a very very early shot. The editor is able to handle unlimited (not really, but enough :-)) layers of three different types.
  • Collision layer: 1 or 0, true or false. No updating, no rendering in the game
  • Tiles layer: From 0-xxx, holds all the tiles but does no updating, just a graphical layer
  • Objects layer: Holds all the objects (anything that is moving, needs to be updated, events, scripts, triggers etc.)

I want to have some scripting support (OR create some kind of custom drag&drop "scripting" feature) with triggers and all that stuff in the future.

Here is a small (webm) video of the editor (you can see the console interpreter there!)
http://webmshare.com/play/nGJwL

Here are some sketches:

Some character designs

This is a typical game scenario.

This sketch shows the different ways of transporting the water and how to convert between the states. You can't convert the vapour back to solid or liquid. The only use is to help you climb some higher areas or to power machines or something like that.

If you are full of water, you do not fit through the tunnels, so you need to convert the water into an ice block or vapour.

You will lose water if you fall down... Sad

I'm going to post something new, as soon I've got something interesting - stay tuned! Also any feedback would be appreciated!
elastico90
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »

Today I've finished cleaning up my gui class a bit and I've also polished some methods. The result can be viewed below. First I wasn't too happy with such a "technical" menu, with that typical OS-stuff, like windows and buttons - but now I actually like it. Think of a nice animation from the game in the background, a light-blue sky, good music - could blend in very well. 

elastico90
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »

Today I've successfully build the game on Unix (Ubuntu)!

I'm using Visual Studio Code as my editor and G++ (Gcc) as the compiler. If somebody is interested in the process, I've attached a short summary of the steps I did below.

Building C/C++ on Ubuntu in Visual Studio Code

This is for compiling my (sample) project, using allegro5. You need to adjust it to your own needs.

Code:
g++ -std=c++14 *.cpp -o mygame `pkg-config --libs allegro-5 allegro_font-5 allegro_color-5 allegro_image-5 allegro_ttf-5 allegro_primitives-5`

To get a list of allegro addons, use:
Code:
pkg-config --list-all | grep allegro

Visual Studio Code

To use C/C++ within Visual Studio Code, go to Extensions and search for cpptools. Install.

For fixing the includes, hover over any #include - line, click the lightbulb and select Add include path to settings.

Automated build process

One easy approach to automate the build process, is an extension called code-runner. Install the extension and restart Visual Studio Code. Open settings.json and add an entry to it. For example:
Code:
"code-runner.executorMap": {
    "cpp": "g++ -std=c++14 $dirWithoutTrailingSlash/*.cpp -o $dirWithoutTrailingSlash/skillblock `pkg-config --libs allegro-5 allegro_font-5 allegro_color-5 allegro_image-5 allegro_ttf-5 allegro_primitives-5`"
}

You can use some variables, like $dirWithoutTrailingSlash to get the current directory.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=formulahendry.code-runner

Now you can build the code by pressing F1 and the command
Code:
> Run Code
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic