Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:17:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFavorite Video Game UI
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Favorite Video Game UI  (Read 2001 times)
kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »

Which video games do you find has a User Interface that you like (whether its menu/party/item/battle). Post it here.

I'll start with Final Fantasy 12. I love the typography, spacing, and the colors used throughout the menu system. It actually wants me to click on things.

http://img1.meristation.com/files/imagenes/juegos/ps2/rpg/final_fantasy_xii/ffxii_es_67_1.jpg
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/c/c5/Key-Items-FFXII.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120927020703
https://worldwideintertubes.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/gambit_screen.jpg
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »

I really love the way that racing and driving games present information to the player, and the ways they accept player input. With a steering wheel and pedals and a monitor that fills most of your vision, you almost might as well be driving a vehicle, and you can become so immersed that you forget you're playing a game - you forget that there even is a UI. Sometimes in arcades there will be racing games with a whole setup, including stick shifts and moving seats, and that only makes it even better. The only time that I've played a non-racing game with a UI that allowed anywhere near the same kind of immersion was Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS. (Which was pretty great.)

For similar reasons, I'm also very fond of games taking place on desks that involve reading and writing on pieces of paper, given a sense of weight and presence by how you are required to interact with them in a way similar to actually shuffling around physical pieces of paper.

Then there's Wii Sports, which is a good example of UI done well, even if trying to get the system to understand my gestures still felt like an unwelcome game in itself. But the golf and tennis games especially were a real joy once I was able to fall into a pattern and forget how limited the input really was. In fact, Wii Sports is still the only video game my grandfather feels comfortable playing. He can't quite figure out the menus, but once he's actually playing a game he loves it because interacting with the game comes so naturally.

How's the saying go? When you do things right, people won't be sure you’ve done anything at all.

I think that's the best way to approach UI, too. It's not necessarily about aesthetics, or even ease of use. Just make it as natural as possible to interact with your game so that players don't even think about the fact that your game has a UI.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:31:59 PM by Pineapple » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:53 AM »

[in rambunctious, positive tones] STREET FIGHTER ALPHA THReeeeeeeee
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:38:28 AM »

Metroid prime for being an "immersive" UI that is also really useable

Ocarina of time/majora's mask for making a complex control scheme accessible

Heroes of might & magic 3 for being one of the few Complex Strategy Game UIs that have actually aged well
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 02:18:16 AM »

The DS port of Shiren. I remember being impressed by how smooth menu interaction is and how it actually seems designed around letting you do stuff with a minimal amount of button presses.
Some of it is probably because Japanese rpg menus are as a rule bafflingly incompetently designed and horrible to use.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:19:58 AM by Schoq » Logged

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »

@Pineapple love the "you forget that there even is a UI" quote. That's really interesting and insightful, i can see how functionally usable is more important than aesthetically beautiful Smiley

@Silbereisen heard so much about metroid prime, i really should give it a try one of these days
@Schoq thanks for mentioning Shiren. Never heard of it until now. The game looks beautiful as well. As a jrpg fan, i might look into it as well.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »

ridge racer type 4 and ridge racer v

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:12:59 PM »

those do indeed look stylish af
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »

Is that one of those UIs where you have to wait for the animations to finish before it lets you select a mode?
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:43:55 PM »

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 05:01:02 AM »

I actually really liked the UI for Star Trek Online, before they did a massive systems and UI rework a (year? couple years?) ago. All the tooltips held all the information you would ever need, and except for some strange pet behaviour, it was all consistent in the way that it worked. Some of the information was layered in complexity, but again, it was easy to find.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
MrHassanSan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »

I'm not praising the UI design itself here, but I love the *sound* design of Kingdom Heart's UI. I made that revelation a few years back in college. I was hanging out with a few friends when we heard the distinctive chime of the Kingdom Hearts menus from one of the other dorms in the suite. We all immediately recognized a game we hadn't played in years from a single sound. I think that's pretty noteworthy.

https://youtu.be/_ZGWa47ZF1Y?t=10s

Writer and Composer for media. Check out my work!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »

persona 5 wins for "most" interface, however you interpret that. i'm into it. agreed re: shiren and final fantasy 12. i'm kind of excited for the remaster of ff12 to revisit the game, since it was just a little too complex for me to wrap my head around at the time.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic