Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:39:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Spell: A top-down fantasy action game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Spell: A top-down fantasy action game  (Read 2513 times)
Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »

Hello Tigforums. My friend from Onagro Games recommended this forum to me, and I thought it was about time we had a devlog somewhere.

Try our prototype
Twitter

Story:

The Spell is a top-down fantasy action game for PC.

After an attack on his homeland, the exiled Wizard Arik travels back to his old kingdom to defeat their army and confront his fellow wizards.

Gameplay:

The game is a mix of violent action, tactical use of spells and some puzzle solving. Arik is fragile, but extremely powerful, and the goal is to use his mana as efficiently as possible to defeat crowds of enemy soldiers.

His powers are physics based, he can shoot bolts of kinetic energy and throw heavy objects around. As each wizard is defeated Arik will gain their powers to add to his arsenal.

Levels are mostly destructible, he can break down walls to make an escape or set fire to a table then throw it for massive damage.

Current state:

We are a 2-person team from Scotland working together on this project in GMS.

The majority of our work on the game was released last November in form of a proof-of-concept prototype and our eventual goal is to seek crowdfunding to expand on it.

The prototype contains a woodland section, a castle entrance and interior, a more puzzle-orientated sanctum, the castle exit and a boss fight. We are still updating this prototype with new features, bug fixes and balance tweaks. If you're interested in trying it out please let us know your thoughts as your feedback will directly influence each update.

Our most recent update was to revamp the physics interactions between objects:

We are currently working on a build with a save system, as well as some additional secrets.

I will be updating this topic with new content as we continue to work on the game.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:34:26 AM by Drasnus » Logged
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:47:45 AM »

Woah this looks really interesting! An intersection between hotline miami and magicka. Where in Scotland are you based? I am up in Dundee.

Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »

Woah this looks really interesting! An intersection between hotline miami and magicka. Where in Scotland are you based? I am up in Dundee.

Thanks!

I'm down near Edinburgh, and my co-dev is closer to Aberdeen at the moment. We teamed up while we were both studying at UWS.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

Ah cool! Any chance you'll be at the next Games Are For Everyone? Really great night in the Edinburgh Caves.

Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »

Ah cool! Any chance you'll be at the next Games Are For Everyone? Really great night in the Edinburgh Caves.
This is the first I've heard of that event but it sounds like a good time. I'll certainly consider it.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:07:46 AM »

Looks pretty cool! But judging from the GIFs this looks incredibly hectic. Please consider toning it down a lot so that I can actually affect the environment in a meaningful way.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »

Looks pretty cool! But judging from the GIFs this looks incredibly hectic. Please consider toning it down a lot so that I can actually affect the environment in a meaningful way.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

I should also point out that some of these gifs are from older builds.
Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 12:28:22 PM »

I pushed out a new update the other day.

Sound ranges have been slightly reduced to lower the aggro from distant enemies, and a couple of new secrets have been added.

I'm currently experimenting with having knights slow the player down on contact to emphasize their weight in comparison to other enemies.

Here's some fresh gifs:

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »

Looks really good and like it would be a lot of fun. The aesthetic is great too! Following!
Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 06:31:02 PM »

This looks great - just commenting so I can easily follow updates ^_^

So many top down shooters, so few have a fantasy theme. I like it. And the lighting!

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:41:56 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

I should also point out that some of these gifs are from older builds.

The other GIFs made the impression as if the gameplay is very hasty, as if you barely have time to spot enemies, let alone control the environment to defeat them. It's a bit like hotline miami, and I hated it Smiley This usually leads to using just one direct hit skill to kill all, and leave all the complex environment interactions out because you have no time to actually carry out anything complex.

The new GIFs look more manageable, though. Maybe it was just a thing on my side. The issue still holds, though: if you have that blast that one-shot-kills enemies, why even bother using anything else? Why set furniture on fire and then throw it after some bad guy when a single click disposes him just as well?

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »

The other GIFs made the impression as if the gameplay is very hasty, as if you barely have time to spot enemies, let alone control the environment to defeat them. It's a bit like hotline miami, and I hated it Smiley This usually leads to using just one direct hit skill to kill all, and leave all the complex environment interactions out because you have no time to actually carry out anything complex.

The new GIFs look more manageable, though. Maybe it was just a thing on my side. The issue still holds, though: if you have that blast that one-shot-kills enemies, why even bother using anything else? Why set furniture on fire and then throw it after some bad guy when a single click disposes him just as well?
The game can be quite hectic at times, but it isn't designed to be as instantaneous as Hotline Miami. Enemies can't kill you one hit and there are some light stealth mechanics so if you need to catch a breather you can turn a few corners and temporarily lose them. Some of the gifs in the OP were me deliberately aggroing lots of enemies at once to show off some of the features.

The kinetic bolt can kill all but the knight in one hit, but it will rapidly drain your mana which makes it unsuitable for fighting lots of enemies at once. Enemies can also dodge the bolt if it's fired from a distance, and it makes a loud noise which draws more enemies to your position.
Even when using the bolt in combat, it's often better to shoot the environment than the enemies. You can shoot a wall and send chunks of rubble flying that will hit multiple enemies, or shoot a box to spray wood shards everywhere.

The other spells have been designed with benefits that the bolt doesn't have:

Telekinesis: Most efficient, can kill multiple enemies at once. It's cheaper to throw an enemy's dropped weapon than to fire a bolt. You can also just throw one enemy at another for maximum efficiency, and objects can be thrown around corners.

Fire: A short burst will set an enemy on fire, which won't kill them but they will be too panicked to fight. A long burst will burn them to death, and is effective on close groups of enemies. They're afraid of fire, and will back up if they see you using it. It can also be used to coat doorways to stop them from trying to follow you. Here's a slightly old gif showing that off:

Wind: More of a tool than a weapon, but it works as crowd control and can be used in tandem with the bolt to prevent enemies from dodging it.

That's the theory behind the design anyway. The bolt is intended for small encounters and moments when you need a quick kill, but should become outclassed when facing groups of enemies. Knights in particular are very resistant to it, as they can block it with their shields.

We're always trying to tweak and balance the game though, and if you'd like to try it out for yourself we're always interested in hearing feedback.

Looks really good and like it would be a lot of fun. The aesthetic is great too! Following!

This looks great - just commenting so I can easily follow updates ^_^

So many top down shooters, so few have a fantasy theme. I like it. And the lighting!
Thanks, it is much appreciated.
Smiley

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:59:23 AM by Drasnus » Logged
Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 02:47:50 PM »

New update:

The game now saves the player's progress at checkpoints, and can be loaded by selecting 'continue' in the menu.

Potions now have a drinking animation during which the player cannot cast spells.

We also added a brightness slider to the options menu.
Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »

A small update and a new trailer:

OuterBrain
Level 0

Will quarter your organ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »

A key difference between The Spell and Hotline Miami is that Hotline Miami is always a one-hit-kill game, unless you're using the special mask in which case it's two-hits.

In The Spell you can take a few strikes by default, then you can use health potions to restore your health with one button press.

This means that in The Spell you can actually make mistakes and recover, having protracted battles where you're taking hits and fighting back and retreating and taking hits and grabbing a health potion, etc. Hotline Miami is much more of a 'combo' game where you have one chance to nail everything or you're dead. In The Spell you can afford to make mistakes. It's similar but not the same.

Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »

A key difference between The Spell and Hotline Miami is that Hotline Miami is always a one-hit-kill game, unless you're using the special mask in which case it's two-hits.

In The Spell you can take a few strikes by default, then you can use health potions to restore your health with one button press.

This means that in The Spell you can actually make mistakes and recover, having protracted battles where you're taking hits and fighting back and retreating and taking hits and grabbing a health potion, etc. Hotline Miami is much more of a 'combo' game where you have one chance to nail everything or you're dead. In The Spell you can afford to make mistakes. It's similar but not the same.

That's the idea. We wanted to have highs and lows in combat; retreating when you're wounded and striking back when the situation is in your favour.
MaxTexeira
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 06:13:11 AM »

The visuals are amazing! congratz

Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 06:20:33 PM »

The visuals are amazing! congratz
Thanks!

I made a few new gifs:

Drasnus
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 08:59:32 AM »

Just an update to say that we've finally gone forward and launched on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight.
RossD20Studios
Level 7

Inspiring Greatness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »

Wow, I love the action and effects in your trailer. FPS looks so smooth!! What tools are you using to create your VFX?

Developing Summoners Fate, a top down turn based strategy adventure.
TIGForum DevLog
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic