Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:35:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[NOW on Greenlight] Starlight ROGUE: Intergalactic Warfare, Unscaled.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [NOW on Greenlight] Starlight ROGUE: Intergalactic Warfare, Unscaled.  (Read 12609 times)
InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »

Starlight ROGUE is a love-letter to the 80s generation of arcade gaming, mixed with modern-day graphics and innovations in gameplay and mechanics. Ever wanted to progress by growing your own universe and experimenting with Lego-like spaceships in space? Or wanted to travel the stars and make a notorious name for yourself? Well now you can.

Platform: Pc, Mac, Later --> iOS, Android  

Greenlight: Support us & Vote on Steam Greenlight
Reddit: reddit.com/r/starlightrogue
Twitter: twitter.com/starlight_rogue

Background.

This game is under development for about 5 months now. The progress is about 50-60% complete. It's the first real game the developer has made and he quit his Graphic Design career to pursue his Game Dev dreams. He started developing as a kid making the highly viral mods Cloaked Cannon Defense and Multiple Missile TD (for Starcraft and Warcraft3).

Features.

Screenshots.

Latest DevLog.

7 March 2017
New update video featuring a start on coding the Diplomacy System, Lasers, and cool post-processing effects.

26 Feb 2017

Hey guys, I added two new screenshots depicting the awesome new features I worked on the last week. Check out the difference in the quality of the graphics compared to before!

- Lasers! Yes every space shooter needs them, but as always quality is number one priority here so expect no less in terms of how gorgeous they look and feel.

- Many Post Processing Effects were added to achieve this. This includes a Bloom filter, Occlusion filter, and a SSAA filter, all three of them are premium and paid plugins.

- Last but not least is destructible terrain. Now you can REALLY interact with the environment. Form your own strategies by using them as cover or digging holes and choke points for strategy. See it in action here: https://giant.gfycat.com/WickedLoathsomeBrocketdeer.gif

Previous DevLog.

18 Feb 2017
It's my pleasure to announce that this project has JUST been published to Steam Greenlight (click here to go there) ! If you like what you saw so far, please spare a moment of your time to vote YES. Thank you.

In other news,
- I have really played with the scale of the ships to make them seem worthy of their status as Destroyer Capital ships! You will surely tremble in awe now at the sight of them, especially if your ship is small the camera will be zoomed in because of that.

- Also added a new race along with their first ship~ this race will be organic in their designs and otherworldly. Their AI will be very violent and merciless.

16 Feb 2017
In this episode, I focused on listening to feedback from Youtube, Reddit and my friends on Skype to improve upon several mechanics in the game. These include:
- Added a simple Radar system (for now)
- Camera now will zoom out while moving fast, zoom back in while slowing down.
- Space stations to repair your ship.
- Cargo ships to ambush , will have their own turrets later though.
- Collision damage! Ram into enemy spaceships for huge damage and explosions :D Will be an organic race that focuses on that aspect.

(Older) Let's Play Video by a famous Youtuber: 2, The Ranting Gryphon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKiMd8C5DgM

Thank you for checking out Starlight ROGUE, if you have any questions or feedback please feel free to post it and I will be sure to answer them!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:04:07 PM by InterGalactic » Logged

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:51:22 AM »

Project looks nice and solid. Will you have any missions, or will it really be a "do what you want" game?
What about soundtrack?

Yeah.
InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:07:59 AM »

Project looks nice and solid. Will you have any missions, or will it really be a "do what you want" game?
What about soundtrack?

Thank you eyeliner, great questions. Regarding missions, yeah of course, it does need a sense of purpose in the game being an infinite roguelite, so anything that achieves it is naturally considered. Missions, whether procedural or not, can add a lot to that; also perhaps being able to grow the current universe with mission completions could likely be a nice bonus.

For the soundtrack and anything sound / music related, I feel it is really important, if not key to the success of the game and so I have been looking around for the perfect candidate. Currently I have an experienced musician on the job, the one and only Mr DataL1ne. =] https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDataline/videos

I've also made some music recently as well, although just started doing that so it may not be the best yet. https://soundcloud.com/leonfresh/the-voyage-begins
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 03:14:35 PM by LeonFresh » Logged

robgacu
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »

Looks fun, it gives me the impresion of something like Tron but in space, is this something like a roguelike shmup?

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »

Updated Original thread.

Looks fun, it gives me the impresion of something like Tron but in space, is this something like a roguelike shmup?

Cheers robgacu. Tron has indeed been a big inspiration to me, I watched Tron Legacy about 3 times simply because of its cool visuals and awesome music. I guess if it's a SHMUP, it's more like a free roaming GTA top-down sort. If anything I try to mix all kinds of things until its really hard to put a genre on it.

EpicNerdRage
Level 0

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:33:48 AM »

This looks superb dude, I shall be following with interest Smiley

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:51:03 AM »

The graphics look really stunning and from what i can see the gameplay also looks like it will be fun. To do give some feedback like i always try to do; I couldn't really hear it, but i think it would be nice if you subtle change the pitch of shooting sounds randomly. And have a 1 out of 5 chance for an extreme sound pitch, this way the audio feels much more alive.

Some sample code from one of my projects:

Code:
	public void playAudioFile(string n, AudioSource target){
if(target.isPlaying) target.Stop();
float pitchOffset = (Random.value*(audioDefaultPitchoffset*2)-audioDefaultPitchoffset)/100.0f;
        if (Random.value < .2) pitchOffset *= 2;
//here i double the pitch if the random.value is lower than .2 so a 1 out of 5 chance
if(target.gameObject.activeInHierarchy) target.PlayOneShot(audioClips[n]);
target.pitch = 1+pitchOffset;
//default settings
target.rolloffMode = AudioRolloffMode.Linear;
target.minDistance = 0;
target.maxDistance = 30;
target.spatialBlend = 1;
target.pitch += slowmoAudioPitchOffset;
// this one i use to allow slowmo of sounds when the game goes in slowmotion, for all the sounds that are already playing i loop over the active sound array and set their pitch individually.
}

I will also follow this from now on to see its updates! great work.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:57:21 AM by Smerik » Logged

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 04:29:18 AM »

Thank you both for the support and I can't believe you just posted such a treasure Smerik! Lost for words right now for my gratitude. I haven't had the time to test the code yet, because I was so busy doing the Greenlight. But I'll definitely keep a lookout for your game as well, can't wait to see a video of it and lemme know if you want help with it too Smiley

Hey all, it's my pleasure to announce that this project has JUST been published to Steam Greenlight (click to go there) ! If you like what you saw so far, please spare a moment of your time to vote YES. Thank you.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:01:23 AM by Leon InterGalactic » Logged

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 01:53:52 AM »

Just a quick update, I've spent 4-5 hours on a new trailer for the game. The very first real trailer I've made you could say, so let me know what you all think. Cheers  Gomez

Also @Smerik, I've implemented your code and it's great, I'll definitely mention you if I do a video vlog next time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 05:32:41 AM by LeonFresh » Logged

nam1995
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »

Looks really awesome and just voted yes for your project. Also, one question: Any plans for online multiplayer (or at least LAN)?

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 08:46:22 AM »

Is the game all about combat? What does money do? Because from the trailer and LP, all I see is ships shooting each other, and some nice gfx. Where's the proc-gen?
InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »

Looks really awesome and just voted yes for your project. Also, one question: Any plans for online multiplayer (or at least LAN)?

That means a lot thank you. I think online multiplayer is too ambitious for my first project right? A lot of debugging involved for that. I think two player co-op is the easiest to implement and would be awesome feature if I bring this to expos, what do you think and what was your personal experience of it?

Is the game all about combat? What does money do? Because from the trailer and LP, all I see is ships shooting each other, and some nice gfx. Where's the proc-gen?

Great questions! It's not all about combat as I do want some kind of a downtime with exploring, mining, building diplomacy etc ( I'ved updated the Features section so maybe it's more clear ). It's just that as far as the development went right now, I just focused on that aspect as it is the most important one. The procedural generation is behind the scenes, the map is infinite and open world, random per play through (rogueLITE). For your credits, that's yet to be decided but the simplest way is to unlock new things in the universe after your playthrough ends either that or spend it on shop upgrades.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:35:34 AM by Leon InterGalactic » Logged

nam1995
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »

That means a lot thank you. I think online multiplayer is too ambitious for my first project right? A lot of debugging involved for that. I think two player co-op is the easiest to implement and would be awesome feature if I bring this to expos, what do you think and what was your personal experience of it?

Well, I think it's a great idea when you can implement the multiplayer in its very first steps. One advice: Balance is one of the most crucial aspects when you design a multiplayer game. You need to make sure that the challenge is good enough to fit the co-operative experience of two players.

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 07:23:09 PM »

Looks more than just solid for a 5-6 months project, keep up the good work man Coffee

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »

Thank you both, will do!

--
I posted a bit of an update to the original post, enjoy!

Destructible Terrain: Now you can REALLY interact with the environment. Form your own strategies by using them as cover or digging holes and choke points for strategy.

https://gfycat.com/WickedLoathsomeBrocketdeer
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:06:16 AM by Leon InterGalactic » Logged

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »

How to OUTSMART your enemy 101. Use Terrain.

This GIF shows that the particles will fly the opposite direction as you shoot! https://gfycat.com/RectangularVibrantBoutu
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:08:59 AM by Leon InterGalactic » Logged

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 05:35:44 AM »

Post #1 looks real nice now. I should steal that idea with a picture summarizing the most important stuff, honestly. Tongue
InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 08:27:58 AM »

Hey all,

Here's a new update video to the game! There was a lot of changes including: start on coding the Diplomacy System, Lasers, and cool post-processing effects. Let me know what you all think of it Smiley

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 12:17:58 PM by InterGalactic » Logged

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 12:42:53 AM »

The warp effect is cool af, if you pardon my language. But I can't tell if it's specific to lasers or just an effect on enemy dying.

Is the minimap new or did I miss it in the previous videos? Also I thought the green triangles are friendlies until I saw you firing on one of them  Huh?
InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 04:36:59 AM »

The warp effect is cool af, if you pardon my language. But I can't tell if it's specific to lasers or just an effect on enemy dying.

Is the minimap new or did I miss it in the previous videos? Also I thought the green triangles are friendlies until I saw you firing on one of them  Huh?

Hey, glad you liked it. Do you mean the shockwave effect once enemies die? yeah right now it's globally when enemies die, but i may change the radius depending on the type of weapon.

The minimap has been there for a long time now, but yeah it is probably lets say a month old. Good that you noticed the indicators not changing, I fixed that shortly after the video, and in the video I didn't showcase all the Human faction turning on you as a result of backstabbing them hehe. Once I have more UI elements showing diplomacy increases I think it will get a lot more interesting. I'm currently working on that and mining inside of those procedural terrain.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic