Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:21:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralanime?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: anime?  (Read 48678 times)
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2009, 03:24:49 AM »

Fullmetal Alchemist is by far my favorite anime, great characters, characterdevelopment, fitting soundtrack, AWEsome voice acting, humor that's not the really obscure manga type(most of the time), just fucking rad

Evil-Ville
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2009, 03:32:15 AM »

anime
saimo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2009, 07:06:28 AM »

I grew up watching animes since the early 80s, and I have to agree with those that say that it really depends on the show.
Many good ones have been mentioned, and I'd like to contribute by suggesting "Time of Eve" (http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Time_of_Eve): if you're into serious/social/deep sci-fi (think of Isaac Asimov), then make sure you don't miss it Wink
mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2009, 07:46:40 AM »

I rarely can get into anime series, so many are just way to long and draining. Really the only ones I watched and seriously enjoyed were Death Note and Elfin Lied.

But movies are differen't. The best ones are:
Sprited Away (yes it is as good as everyone says)
Howls Moving Castle
Memories (Magnetic Rose and the stink bomb one were sweet)
Steam Boy (A MUST WATCH)
Millenium Actress
Princess Mononoke (Great movie, but the Miyazaki movie I liked the least)
My Nieghbor Totoro (<3)
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service
Grave of the Fireflies

Have yet to watch:
Ponyo
Tekkonkinkreet
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2009, 08:02:13 AM »

My favourites are:

Akira.

Miyazaki: Laputa + Nausicaa especially, also Porco Rosso, Calligostro, Totoro.

Mamoru Oshii: GITS and Innocence (underrated IMHO.) [Side note: (edit: James Cameron's) Avatar seems to me to be totally based on Avalon by Oshii aswell, although it's not anime, it in turn is a sort of real-world version of ideas robbed from GITS by The Matrix.  Confused?  Me too.]  I loved Sky Crawlers, Angel's Egg, his two Urusei Yatsura movies (especially Beautiful Dreamer), Jin Roh.  Actually, everything the man has touched.

Koji Morimoto's Beyond + Mind Game (well he was animation director, and that's what makes it one of my favourite films).  A legend!

Everything by Satoshi Kon - Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, Tokyo Godfathers, Shonen Bat, his Memories segment, Paprika (although not his best, still a visual feast.)

Assorted others: Grave of The Fireflies. Kai Doh Maru,  Mushi-shi (series).

Edit: Should also mention Makoto Shinkai's work, which I've enjoyed recently, especially the first, Voices of a Distant Star.

Very standard selection, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 03:59:10 PM by Jasper Byrne » Logged

jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »

One (Ghibli) anime that gets forgotten a lot is "Omohide Poro Poro" aka "Only Yesterday", which is something I can't quite understand since it's the one anime that impressed me most. <3

godsavant
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:27 AM »

There's an anime based on Persona. It's wicked.

If you're referring to the Shin Megami Tensei anime, VERY NSFW. Not that I know anyone who watches anime at work, anyways.
undertech
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2009, 08:41:08 AM »

Freedom, despite the fact that it's one giant ramen commercial, is pretty rad. At first the toon shading put me off of it, but I sucked it up and got used to it.
Kramlack
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »

or get the fuck out.
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2009, 06:39:09 PM »

What hasn't been mentioned yet:
Maria-sama ga Miteru ("The Virgin Mary is Watching You" or Marimite for short. I don't know why I like it. just do)
Bomberman Jetterz (Surprisingly not a shallow as you would think. Not great. But I didn't as thought I wasted my time)
Magical Circle Guru Guru (parody of old-school RPGS. Hilarious).
Crest of the Stars (obscure space-opera anime based on the manga.)
Read or Die (both the OVA/OAV and the TV series.)
Lucky Star (slice of life show. Slice of life shows are almost like American sit-coms, except their not. I tend to like these for some reason).
Gundam Wing Zero (I think this is the one I like. It's in space. It's not new, or chibi. The only good one as far as Gundam goes).
Samurai Pizza Cats (thought it's been FOREVER since I've seen this. When ever I see pictures,  it's not at all like I remember for some reason)
School Rumble (because I'm a hopeless romantic. Hated the ending thought)
Love Hina (a classic harem-story).
Pokemon(only like the first three "seasons". One of the few I can enjoy in either English or Japanese audio)
Kanon, Air (both by Kyoto Animation who did Clannad, Haruhi, Lucky Star, and more)

What I like that's already been mentioned:
FMA (both the original and the new series which is, by the way, a straight adaptation of the manga).
Ghost in the Shell (TV, not the first movie).
Death Note (I went so far as to watch the live action film. I still bugs me the protagonist is the villain.)
Ouran High School Host Club (though without that reveal I would have been a little uncomfortable with it).
Most Miyazaki films (I hate Howl's)
Paranoia Agent
Some stuff based on CLAMP mangas (CCS, Chobits, Tsubasa Chronicle, Angelic Layer)
Eva
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Clannad (yes! Although boo for the Deus ex machina at the end of After Story)

What I hate that's been mentioned:
Code Geass (however that's spelled. Horribly written. Bland characters. There was so much potential in the beginning, but with so plot holes...I honestly don't know why I put myself through that. AVOID!)

There's more for sure. But that's all I have off the top of my head....OW!

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »

Code Geass (however that's spelled. Horribly written. Bland characters. There was so much potential in the beginning, but with so plot holes...I honestly don't know why I put myself through that. AVOID!)
Haha I have to agree with you there. To me it seemed like the kind of story that was conceived through simple addition i.e.
Death Note + EVA + rollerblades = $$$$

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »

Haha I have to agree with you there. To me it seemed like the kind of story that was conceived through simple addition i.e.
I quite enjoyed Code Geass till about halfway, then it just went to crap.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2009, 08:25:45 PM »

I quite enjoyed Code Geass till about halfway, then it just went to crap.

I was watching it and then was struck by the thought "wait a minute, ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE STEREOTYPES. And this plot is so... so... CLICHE." And I have never picked up the show again.

Ouran High School Host Club

Yes. This show is amazing. It's like totally responsable for 90% of my obsession with roses.  Smiley

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2009, 01:51:16 AM »

Don't think it was mentioned in this thread:

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad.

Great anime and manga about a bunch of guys trying to get their band off the ground, only to have everything take a turn for the bad when they reach the top. The manga actually continues after this point, the anime just summarizes their reunion.

Quite possibly my favorite series of all time. I rewatch it from time to time.
Bini
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2009, 09:50:12 AM »

If you watched Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, go watch the new Umineko No Naku Koro Ni.

- Seto no Hanayome(comedy)
- K-On(moeblob + music)
- Saki(extreme fanservice + mahjong)
- Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha(mahou shoujo with dragonball level of destruction)

or get the fuck out.
Yes, this one is AWESOME.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »

I really enjoyed Honey & Clover...  Roll Eyes

Damnit, I'm such a chick sometimes.  Tired

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »

Everytime someone suggests Elfenlied on a "recommended" Anime List, I die a little. Stop with the Anime Rickroll already. Countless unsuspecting people have been lured to watch this Anime by such suggestions. Can you really live with that burden?
On a more serious note... I feel it is needed to issue a fair warning towards Elfenlied. It's disgusting. One whole piece of pure fanservice, gorefilled, disgusting crap. It managed to throw Gantz of the Throne of the realm of "worst ever".

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
Ixis
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 06, 2009, 11:53:32 AM »

Everytime someone suggests Elfenlied on a "recommended" Anime List, I die a little. Stop with the Anime Rickroll already. Countless unsuspecting people have been lured to watch this Anime by such suggestions. Can you really live with that burden?
On a more serious note... I feel it is needed to issue a fair warning towards Elfenlied. It's disgusting. One whole piece of pure fanservice, gorefilled, disgusting crap. It managed to throw Gantz of the Throne of the realm of "worst ever".

I like the part where the naked 12 year old girl gets her arms ripped off. :I
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 06, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »

I much prefer Serial Experiments Lain.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: July 06, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »

Not much ago I watched Big O, and I have to say it, it's great.

I'm about to start watching Ikkitousen. It's ridulous, has the most fan service I've ever seen. So it's quite fun.

I'm still watching the new FMA, but it turned out mediocre. The fast rhythm was good at the beginning, but it just won't slow down. It has reached the good part of the show, that deserves more time, and it just goes through everything in a single episode.

And I get the impression that not enough people here have watched Boogiepop Phantom. You should. Lips Sealed

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic