Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:39:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralanime?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: anime?  (Read 48628 times)
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »

I'm still watching the new FMA, but it turned out mediocre. The fast rhythm was good at the beginning, but it just won't slow down. It has reached the good part of the show, that deserves more time, and it just goes through everything in a single episode.
Look, they managed to stay in one town for a whole 3 episodes at least  Shrug. I think the interesting actually part comes around Briggs. But then, that's as far as I read the manga.
The-Imp
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »

Also, I'm not really a fan of anime, I don't watch TV much, but I can say old anime looked incredible. For the most part.

Not to say all "modern anime" looks bad, it's just the generic popular stuff that does.

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »

How is shading an indication of being better? Or rather the lack of shading an indication of being, as you point out, "shit"?

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2009, 09:47:51 PM »

I do think all the examples of old stuff in that picture are way better, but that's not so much the shading so much as the new stuff is just plain worse.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »

Recently watched Kaiba and Tekkon Kinkreet. The former is typical Yuasa, totally surreal and pretty amazing at times. I love its formal aspects (it has a 70's kid anime aesthetic, mixed with mature themes). Too bad about the ending.

The other one is a good, action-packed film that is also beautiful to look at, though with an unconventional (for anime) style. Not really my kind of movie, though.

Edit: Should also mention Makoto Shinkai's work, which I've enjoyed recently, especially the first, Voices of a Distant Star.

I almost hate that and his other films, but I LOVE

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2009, 03:39:52 AM »

You can't really compare "old" anime with "new" anime by taking well done old Animes and pitting them against crappy new Anime. If you want to compare you'll have to take Animes of the same caliber. Pit them against works like Mushi-shi and suddenly the old style gets a severe beating.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2009, 04:43:40 AM »

I almost hate that and his other films, but I LOVE

Oh that's a shame...  I really enjoyed it and felt it was a cool and unconventional love story.  I love the way it ends without clear resolution, or at least, leaving lots of questions.  I also love his colour palette and use of post production.  Amazing, too, to think he made it all himself, from music to art to seiyu, all with a G4 Mac!  That's as indie as it gets, haha.

I like Her and Her Cat too, as well as both his main movies.

ben2theedge
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2009, 06:03:56 AM »

Saying that animation is better or worse because of how many shades it has is kind of like saying a machine is better or worse because of how many moving parts it has. I'll take fluid motion over 50 levels of shading and busy details any day of the week, but I'm more into Western animation.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2009, 06:32:07 AM »

You can't really compare "old" anime with "new" anime by taking well done old Animes and pitting them against crappy new Anime. If you want to compare you'll have to take Animes of the same caliber. Pit them against works like Mushi-shi and suddenly the old style gets a severe beating.
good animu art without shadan:

On that note, I think 'The Place Promised in our Early Days' is my favourite thing by Makoto Shinkai. It uses fairly similar themes and ideas to Voices of a Distant Star, but explores them much more richly imo.

5 Centimeters Per Second is pretty good too, I only watched the first episode ages ago and I want to see the rest of it... all in all I think his films have a very special quality that I've never really seen in anything else, anime or otherwise.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2009, 07:19:03 AM »

I think shading needs to be a decision made based on the setting. I think it fits in Full Metal Alchemist, as it's a more bleak, vaguely-steampunky world. It's less appropriate in Naruto, which is generally more vibrant and colorful.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2009, 07:20:52 AM »

Also: I don't watch many animes, but Samurai Jack was probably my favorite show ever when it started. I have many fond memories of watching that show.
medieval
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »

There's an anime based on Persona. It's wicked.

If you're referring to the Shin Megami Tensei anime, VERY NSFW. Not that I know anyone who watches anime at work, anyways.
Well no, I was talking about Persona: Trinity Soul.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »

I think anime has gone the way that most popular stuff has, mass production. The quantity gets lager but the quality lessens. This has happened with popular movie genres, certain authors (Tom Clancy is a big one), video games (I think shooter is a big one now), and etc.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2009, 12:41:18 PM »

I love me some good Anime. Mostly stuff with slightly more mature subject matter. There is quite a bit of Anime that turns me off, mostly the cutesy stuff. Lately, I haven't watched anything but just picked up Blood - The Last Vampire after hearing about the live action movie.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
The-Imp
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »

I'm really good at getting the intended point across, I meant stylisticly speaking. I can't just go out and say, "This anime is awesome because of it's shading, that one sucks because it's not shaded well, or at all!".

On that note I'm going to bold that last post of mine's key-word.
looks.

Sorry for being so lazy and just posting a picture! (for the most part).
Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »

I was skeptical myself.
My first contact was Akira... and I loved it.

I'm not hardcore anime follower, and for that I think I can recommend you (OP) these series/movies:
FLCL (Short, bizarre, fun and awesome)
Ghost in the Shell 1 & 2 (The movies... Bladerunner-ish theme)
Cowboy bebop (not the best script, fun to watch action, the music is FUCKING GREAT)
Howl's Moving Castle (A cute magical story)

Those anime I mentioned (except FLCL, maybe) are not so culturally binded, that's why they're more prone to be accepted by occidental societies.

Working on HeliBrawl
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2009, 06:50:48 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but all the older anime I've seen have that weird colour palette where everything looks kind of desaturated and off. It kind of makes everything look sort of ugly and depressing.
LazyWaffle
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »

My favorite animu is probably either Neon Genisis Evangelion or Fullmetal Alchemist.

I really hate Bleach, Inuyasha and Naruto. They all suck equally.
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »

My favorite animu is probably either Neon Genisis Evangelion or Fullmetal Alchemist.

I really hate Bleach, Inuyasha and Naruto. They all suck equally.

I sorta like Naruto, mainly because I really like some of the characters.

That being said, there are SO many problems with it.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »

I'm more of a manga enthusiast, because there is a lot more variety. Anime adaptions of manga usually add/subtract from the story. Also I find that productions values seem to go down after a while.

Though what I am watching/have watched
FLCL
Naruto (stopped watching when the fillers came, still read though not with full attention getting boring)
Dragonball
DBZ (can't wait for the new 200 episode remake coming)
One Piece (don't really like the art/animation so I've dropped it also, reading it since I find stills work better for the art style)
Code Geass (season two sucked so hard, the first season was pretty good though)
Black Lagoon (Love it)

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic