Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 09:17:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralanime?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: anime?  (Read 48626 times)
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »

Me liek Ghost in the Shell.

Also, how's no one mentioned Howl's Moving Castle?  Mock Anger Meh favorite anime movie.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 04:14:06 PM »

Also, Steamboy

and Metropolis

cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 04:16:41 PM »

Some good stuff already mentioned:

Cowboy Bebop
paprika (dream manipulation shenanigans)

Trigun

Akira, Fist of the North Star, Golgo 13

Paranoia Agent
Kemonozume
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I also recommend Berserk, GunGrave, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Texhnolyze, Shigurui, Kaiba, Gantz (the manga is better than the anime), Trava Fist Planet, Mind Game, and some old classics that are cool, but a bit cheesy or fucked up... Hakkenden, Genocyber, Doomed Megalopolis, AD Police, Cyber City Oedo, Wicked City, Angel Cop, Devilman, Venus Wars and all the other good/weird shows I can't remember.
godsavant
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 04:18:02 PM »

Miyazaki is charming but somewhat pointless to Western audiences.

I'm not a fan of anime in general (whenever I start watching I'm so embarrassed I have to go pretend to do something else, even when I'm alone); the only exception is the early arcs of Bleach and Miyazaki films. Manga is much more enjoyable.

Eyeshield 21 is freakin' great.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »

i'll try and mention some amazing and less mentioned ones..

tekkon kinkreet!

roujin Z (favorite)

macross plus - one of the definitive animes of my adolescence (not the movie edition!)

mind game

green legend ran

mushi-shi (other favorite)

iria

millennium actress 

vampire hunter d

elf princess rane (dont let the cover fool you, this anime is the shit!)

i didnt like steamboy at all
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:39:04 PM by michael » Logged

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »

Gurren Lagann, Cowboy Bebop, and Spirited Away are all terrific. As far as most mainstream animes go, One Piece is one of the more decent ones.

Lo
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »

mushi-shi (other favorite)

ah yeah i forgot that one. it's really great, and its disconnected episodes are really relaxing, somehow. also it had really great art

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »

Mind Game is the fucking SHIT. It's totally tits.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »

Dead Leaves:

roujin Z (favorite)
Dude, Thank you! I saw the end of this once on TV for a brief moment and thought it looked awesome but had no idea what it was called. Gonna try and...obtain some means to watch the rest of it now.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »

Phuban, I agree with you! I would add Lupin the 3d to your list(Castle of Cagliostro), Bandar Book and the Lodoss War ova (some episodes are badly animated though). Recently, I enjoyed Basilisk, mostly because of the effort that went in creating high-design characters that got killed pretty quickly.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 05:19:10 PM »

Lurk, yes, I've seen Lupin, it wasn't too bad Smiley And Michael up there has some good picks, as well!

I also recommend Berserk, GunGrave, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Texhnolyze, Shigurui, Kaiba, Gantz (the manga is better than the anime), Trava Fist Planet, Mind Game, and some old classics that are cool, but a bit cheesy or fucked up... Hakkenden, Genocyber, Doomed Megalopolis, AD Police, Cyber City Oedo, Wicked City, Angel Cop, Devilman, Venus Wars and all the other good/weird shows I can't remember.

Oops, can't believe I forgot Berzerk! As far as series go, Berzerk is one of the best, along with Fist of the North Star, Evangelion, and I personally enjoyed Escaflowne.

As for comedy series, I enjoyed Golden Boy, but Ping Pong Club is really unparalleled.

Also not sure how I missed NINJA SCROLL!

Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma, Mermaid's Scar, and Shuten Doji are some really good but lesser known horror anime from the late 80s to mid 90s.

Also, one of my favorite anime is Neo-Tokyo, which is a compilation of three shorts by different directors. The first one, "Labyrinth" is my favorite. You can watch it here, but the quality does it no justice:

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »

I don't watch much anime anymore, because, frankly, most of the stuff produced is garbage. Here's some of the good ones:

- Serial Experiments Lain.
- Princess Mononoke.
- Perfect Blue.
- Millenium Actress.
- Rurouni Kenshin Trust & Betrayal (it's been a while, but I remember it fondly).
- Mind Game.
- Azumanga Daioh.

And I'll have to mention Cowboy Bebop just because of its music.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 09:22:57 PM »

Ulysses 31 is a good old anime.

It's really interesting, it's kind of a sci-fi adaptation of Homer's Odyssey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 09:39:17 PM »

if you go there you might as well mention the cities of gold.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Freezy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:01 PM »

Awesome. This brings back memorys of pyjama-driven saturday mornings as a nine jear old. Quality times :D
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »

I have yet to see an anime or movie with spaceship designs as awesome as in Ulysses 31

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
it_is_coming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »

fuuuuuck, just finished higurashi. crazy shit.

I will definitely be checking out lots of stuff in this thread. you guys have good taste in stuff.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »

My main recomendations would go to:

-Rurouni Kenshin. The first 2/3 are great, the rest isn't, but you can just ignore it. I do.
-Cowboy Bebop
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Anything by Miyasaki
-Boogiepop Phantom. Every episode is centered on different character, and to actually understand anything you need to understand the faint relathionships between them and the main characters, that don't get their own episodes, and an event some months before the series. My favorite anime, by far. It's weird, complicated and mught get hard to understand. Reading the manga, the light novel or watching the movie, which are all the previous story to the anime, would help, but that takes away a bit of it.

Other ones:

-Full Metal Alchemist. Although the new version (FMA: Brotherhood), that's now airing in Japan, seems better than the previous one.
-Death Note. I started watching it 'cause it seemed good. I kept on watching 'cause of the involuntary humor (potato chips).
-Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. If you can actually like anime humor, it's great. If not, it's not.
-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
-Mushishi
-Blue Submarine NÂș6
-Neon Genesis Evangelion is OK

Right now I'm looking forward to watchin Cobra, Fist of the North Star and The Big O.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 10:58:39 PM »

I've seen most of what has been recommended so far and they're all pretty decent. But the one anime series that has really stood out for me was Planetes. If you like lightish hard sci-fi at all I couldn't name a better title. It almost feels like it was written by some famous author that I can't name right now because lunch was pretty spicy and I had to have too much beer.

Also Lucky Star is good if you watch the whole series out of boredom and then the lesbian subtext finally clicks in the final episode but I've totally just ruined that by saying this.

I was going to recommend something else but I forget.
undertech
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 02:16:40 AM »

If you're not totally new to anime (and japanese inclinations in general) then BPS is a nice diversion. Shame they had to end it at 12 eps. If you're totally new/never saw anything other than the Cartoon Network stuff, you'd probably be creeped out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic