Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:52:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralanime?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: anime?  (Read 48796 times)
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 02:46:38 AM »

Oh also, anything by CLAMP. The have some really good stuff (Meh favorits Chobits)

EDIT

Hmm, I guess they're manga. Oh well, they're still awesome.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:50:57 AM by Bood_War » Logged

Choukou
Level 0

Amateur attempter

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »

I'm a big fan of Clannad.  It's a harem that focuses on the stories of the characters rather than ecchiness (no!?).  It's a sweet tale that I'd reccomend to anyone who doesn't have a severe 'feeling block' xD.  Another that I started to watch before it was taken from my streaming site was Tora Dora which was freaking hilarious.

I'm a big fan of Miyazaki's work, so much so that I did my A2 Film Studies coursework on his work and his usage of recurrent themes that really opened my eyes to how much of an auteur he is.  10 points of awesome to him.  Spirited Away remains one of my favourite films of all time...

Languages known: 0
Languages attempted:...how many exist?
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 09:14:36 AM »

-Full Metal Alchemist. Although the new version (FMA: Brotherhood), that's now airing in Japan, seems better than the previous one.
Also follows the manga more closely, so it will be better.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »

I'm not heavily into anime, so my recommendations may be too mainstream for the hardcore fan, but I can recommend:

Hajime no Ippo - It's about boxing, you don't have to be a boxing fan to enjoy it, though. But if you are one, you are also a true man.  Beer!

Slam Dunk - An anime about basketball and high school fights and shit, pretty funny.

Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken - Pretty cool RPG like story, a must if you are a Dragon Quest or RPG fan in general.

I agree with others recommended before, but I wanted to add something new to the list. Gentleman

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »

md geist is another old school classic

not many people have been mentioning samurai champloo, i didn't like it when it first started, but its rather good.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »

I have mixed feelings about Samurai Champloo.  I really like the animation and the fight scenes as well as the music but... aside from a few episodes the story wasn't really that good IMO.  It had potential to be a lot better than it was but the writers kind of held it back.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »

-Full Metal Alchemist. Although the new version (FMA: Brotherhood), that's now airing in Japan, seems better than the previous one.
What! no no no no no

so far it's been full of silly "wacky" sound effects, awful music, terrible rushed script, far more childish silliness than the first series. Feels like I'm watching one of those shitty filler kids shows they do these days where they have to drip-feed a torrent of constant shitty action just to keep the attention of idiot tv slave lobotomy kids.

The latest episode was better, and I hope it improves once they get through all the stuff they're rehashing from the old series, but I'm not holding out any hope.

olücæbelel
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »

Kemonozume

I just watched this whole series last night ( Tired )
It started out really really awesome and then got better and then...got depressing and really fucking weird.

Samurai Champloo, I had high hopes for but it turned out really meh.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »

What! no no no no no

so far it's been full of silly "wacky" sound effects, awful music, terrible rushed script, far more childish silliness than the first series. Feels like I'm watching one of those shitty filler kids shows they do these days where they have to drip-feed a torrent of constant shitty action just to keep the attention of idiot tv slave lobotomy kids.

The latest episode was better, and I hope it improves once they get through all the stuff they're rehashing from the old series, but I'm not holding out any hope.
I agree about the rushing, but I liked the music, so  Shrug
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »

I saw all the wrong anime when I was young.

Not that they were necessarily bad, but I probably shouldn't have seen them.

This includes Akira and Evangelion. I saw Akira when I was like 7, and Evangelion at 10 or so. I didn't really remember much of Akira except that I definitely was not the age to watch it, although I rewatched it recently and loved it. Evangelion started off fairly normal for a ten year old, and then it decided that it wasn't enough of a mindfuck, and that's when problems started.

I would definitely agree with FLCL, Tekkonkinkreet, Paprika, Dead Leaves, Serial Experiments Lain, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, and a few of the others I can't remember.

I would also recommend Gurren Lagann, although I sort of lost interest in it after the first MAJOR SPOILER. When Kamina dies, that is. He was the coolest character, and they killed him off way too early!

I couldn't really stand Death Note, as I read the manga first and after that the anime felt kind of slow.

Cat Soup is kind of neat.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 04:16:16 AM by FishyBoy » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »

Kemonozume

I just watched this whole series last night ( Tired )
It started out really really awesome and then got better and then...got depressing and really fucking weird.

Yeah, a bunch of episodes near the end were downright cruel, specially the second to last episode. Poor guy. The ending was somewhat of aletdown given the tone of previous espisodes, but i guess the director tried to ammend for the cruelty.

I still loved almost every second of it. The goddamn music is fabulous, and I hate there is no such thing as an OST for it.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2009, 03:52:25 PM »

This.

It's just mind-blowing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »

Anything by Satoshi Kon is good; you might have seen his show Paranoia Agent on Adult Swim, but his movies are bloody amazing. Perfect Blue is a great little thriller, but it's definitely not kid-friendly. Millenium Actress is less violent, but it's mighty confusing. I haven't seen Paprika yet, so I can't say if it's any good or not.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2009, 05:44:39 PM »

I can safely assure you that Paprika is amazing. Watch it as soon as you can.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »

anyone here can recommend tokio godfathers?

also anything by mamoru oshii, ie patlabor movies and ghost in the shell movies too

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2009, 06:31:41 PM »

@Abraham: Only saw the half of Tokio Godfathers, but seemed good.

About FMA, I like how it's rushing. I felt the first series a bit slow, and with too much filler episodes.

I saw all the wrong anime when I was young.

Not that they were necessarily bad, but I probably shouldn't have seen them.

This includes Akira and Evangelion. I saw Akira when I was like 7, and Evangelion at 10 or so. I didn't really remember much of Akira except that I definitely was not the age to watch it, although I rewatched it recently and loved it. Evangelion started off fairly normal for a ten year old, and then it decided that it wasn't enough of a mindfuck, and that's when problems started.

If I recall right, I saw Akira and Evangelion being 9-10. Both where mind blowing at those moments, and didn't understood anything, but I loved them. I also saw Boogiepop Phantom and Lain then and didn't get those either. But I saw all of them again in the last year. They weren't as complicated as I remembered them. Specially Evangelion, now I find it pretentious and over dramatic. All the others improved when I understood what was happening.

Now, when I was 6-7, I was watching the completely wrong kind anime. Very wrong. At the moment Sailor Moon didn't seem bad. I wonder how would I react now to Sakura Card Captor?

N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »

also anything by mamoru oshii, ie patlabor movies and ghost in the shell movies too
It's been a long time since I watched Tokyo Godfathers but I remember liking it pretty much. It's a refreshing experience.
PaleFox
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2009, 09:16:03 PM »

Anime I have enjoyed:

FLCL
Excel Saga
Cowboy Bebop
Paranoia Agent

Graveyard of the Fireflies.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »

Am I the only one who liked Avatar: The Last Airbender? I was just watching the last few episodes over again and man, that show was so awesome.

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2009, 01:20:19 AM »

I'm watching Ergo Proxy at the moment.  So far it seems to have a nice texture and ambience to it, for those who like that kind of thing.

It's been a long time since I watched Tokyo Godfathers but I remember liking it pretty much. It's a refreshing experience.

It changes constantly, but Tokyo Godfathers is currently my favourite Satoshi Kon film.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic