Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:27:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralanime?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: anime?  (Read 48252 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »

Ah well, for what it's worth, Avatar's a pretty darn good show, Japanese anime or not.

Gankutsuo is pretty interesting; it's a retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo, set on the moon. Just do yourself a favor and skip the opening theme, it's the worst opera you will ever hear.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2009, 11:30:24 AM »

Avatar is great. I love how it manages to put action, comedy and romance all togheter. Most tries on doing that turn out pretty bad.

I had forgotten Gankutsuou. It's quite good, and worth looking at least for the great aesthetic.

SpaceBrance
Level 1

The one with White Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »

I just don't like it.

I did like DBZ as a (younger)kid though.
Zaphos
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »

I think the stuff shown on Noitamina is usually interesting.  Also Masaaki Yuasa's work, if you don't worry too much about it making sense always.
linger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

Y'alls need to watch some REAL MAN's anime, like Strike Witches or Clannad Cool

Am I the only one who liked Avatar: The Last Airbender? I was just watching the last few episodes over again and man, that show was so awesome.

I did, but it is not the animuuuu Tongue

Spoilers: "Anime" is a Japanese word that means "cartoons."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:24:52 PM by linger » Logged
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »

Strike Witches is a physical manifestation of the average American's stereotype of anime.
PaleFox
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »

It's strange that Avatar was good, since mostly all other American attempts to capture the whole anime-fandom thing have failed, or, in some cases, actually DESTROYED THOUGHT via negative energy.

I liked Avatar: though you can tell, watching it, it is an American show, it's an enjoyable one.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2009, 09:09:56 PM »

Avatar was the best shit to have come out of Nickelodeon in ages. Nearly everything they regurgitated prior to it sucked, in my opinion.

What makes the cartoon are the characters. They're surprisingly well developed for an american animated series. Even the 4 elements cliche doesn't diminish that.

Also, watching Kemonozume. Crazy shit.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
linger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2009, 10:36:16 PM »

Another thing I find interesting about Avatar is, despite the surface of Asian themes, it's really quite Western. The four elements come straight from the thought of Ancient Greece, even the whole "balance" thing (the four natural humors). The Water Tribes are all based on Native Americans, and lots of the fleeting cultural bits...wandering hippies, wrestling tournaments, rebellion through dancing, Sokka having a rap-off, etc...come straight from an American context. Oh yeah, and Aang is Jesus (just watch that scene with the lamb).
Renton
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »

If I'm to watch Cowboy Bebop, should I watch the movie or the series or both?

Keep in mind that I usually can't stand anime but the space western and jazz combination somehow sounds very appealing to me.

So I guess what I'm saying is, is it that good?
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »

If you want to watch them in chronological order, it's something stupid like the movie goes between episode 22 and 23 of the series.

I don't think Cowboy Bebop is *that* good, I preferred Samurai Champloo, but most other people will probably tell you that it is that good. Also it has quite a strong influence from Western culture, so maybe your anime-hate won't manifest so strongly against it.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2009, 07:22:14 AM »

Read it. I enjoyed it that way the best.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2009, 07:39:04 AM »

all the avatars i watched were pumped full of loosely developed moral stories and frumpy faced one liner jokes. the premise of the story is really great but i think that theyre shooting themselves in the foot, as artists and creatives, by trying to be anime.

i liked cowboy bebop because it did a rather good job of just being awesome and pulling you in, rather than trying to show you how awesome it was. it was also well animated and didnt feel like they animators were trying to avoid drawing, which is how a lot of poorer animes are.

speaking of shitty morals, overtness, and animators who try to avoid animating, i feel myself compelled to suggest yakitate

i would probly have never watched it on my own, but my brother watched it a lot while i was in our computer room and after many many episodes i started getting interested in it. it was better once the competition started. it gave me a much greater appreciation for bread and of artisan food in general

its really over the top, but in a making fun of itself and anime kind of way.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
linger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2009, 07:54:59 AM »

the premise of the story is really great but i think that theyre shooting themselves in the foot, as artists and creatives, by trying to be anime.

To be honest, I don't get how Avatar is "trying to be anime." I don't think they're mimicking the Japanese style or anything. Really, it reminds me more of French animation and comics.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2009, 09:56:44 AM »

Has anyone else seen Ouran Host Club? I showed the first episode to my friend, and he thought it was a gay romance up until the very end of the episode. The look on his face was priceless.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2009, 10:02:15 AM »

That shit and a whole bunch of cat tranq was responsible for the first and only time I have kissed a dude.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:04 AM »

Yeah, I think the only anime I watched were Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Really can't remember anything else I watched besides stuff my brother would be watching which were like Naruto and Bleach so I never really paid attention you know, drawn out and boring. I have been watching Sengoku Basara though to quench my "i wanna watch an anime that i can watch unsubbed because it has no story and high budget action scenes."
I have this liking for Japanese live action kid shows though and their writing's usually the same for generic action anime probably. Crazy
Probably just like them because of the cheese and awesomeness that live action makes.
Edit: No, wait, Sengoku Basara sucks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:56:43 PM by thernz » Logged

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »

BUMP

grave of the fireflies

Just watched this. We need an emoticon reflecting a heart getting wrenched back and forth.

medieval
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2009, 03:05:04 AM »

There's an anime based on Persona. It's wicked.
McGuff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2009, 03:19:01 AM »

Spoilers: "Anime" is a Japanese word that means "cartoons."

Kinda spoilering your spoiler, but anime is short for animeshon, as in animation, durr.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic