Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:40:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingplaytesting for blitzkampfer (feedback extremely appreciated.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: playtesting for blitzkampfer (feedback extremely appreciated.)  (Read 791 times)
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »

hey all, my names Connor. I've been working on a few games on this site now in the devlog section, but recently I've started a project that i hope will become a project I can sell, that I can use to prove to my family and friends that I have what it takes to be a designer and developer. That game's called blitzkampfer.

So, what is blitzkampfer, you might ask?
Blitzkampfer is an open world shoot-em-up with bullet hell elements, to put it simply.
Right now, blitzkampfer has 15+ enemies, three bosses, three events, local multiplayer (wip, needs a gamepad), and a few different power ups.
For more info on that, take a look at the devlog here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.20
or the itch.io page here: https://cjheighton.itch.io/blitzkampfer-beta

Anyways, the biggest reason I'm posting this is because while I have a bunch of people who say the game looks like fun, I have pretty much no real testing base. I don't really know why, but its kind of put me in a bind, due to my being the only one who's really actively looking for bugs and stuff.

mainly, what i need help with is bug spotting and finding areas where the game can really be improved. due to the lack of a player base, I've mainly been working at this on my own fixing what i can see, but I'm bound to miss a few things. With help, however, I hope I can improve the game to the point of it being something genuinely fun to play.

uhm, so, the download is through my itch.io page, if you guys want to help me out ^^; it should be at the bottom of the page, near the community portion ^^;

uhm, so in terms of screenshots and video that i can show off...
here!

(sorry, this must sound a little abrupt and bitter, I just have a little anxiety about posting this kind of stuff too regularly ^^;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:51:04 PM by Connor » Logged

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »

I watched some of your videos, the name is a bit clunky and the bullets look sort of like a whip because of the limited number of them, you might want to actually make it into some kind of a whip as a bit of a twist on the smup formula. Also sometimes the background's giant blocks are confusing as they sort of look like walls in some situations.

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »

hey msilver.
first off, i sort of designed it to work like a whip on purpose. thats actually the main focus, and you can shoot it off as an added little thing for those who dont like a stationary whip. maybe i should make it a bit more obvious thats the case, eheh ^^;

uhm, yea the backgrounds are all 100% placeholder. at the moment the game is maybe 30% done, and ive only recently delved into background work myself, so im mainly learning by doing them at the moment XP ill keep working at it though!

what would you suggest for the name? i sorta had it chosen on a whim, so im totally open to changing it.
edit: maybe like shortening it to Li-Fighter or something? (li-fighter from lightning fighter which is the english translation of blitzkampfer)

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »

Names off the top of my head:
(usually I charge $50 a pop for these.)

Space Whip
Shooter Blitz
Whip Fighter
Whip Blitz
Blitz Shot
Whip Shot
Bit Blitz
Bullet Blitz
Whip Bit Blitz

I mean even Blitz-Camper would be a little better just because its not hard to read or pronounce. (Edit: even adding a space to your current name would go a long way.) Now this of course comes after I once played a game called Zenzizenzic which I still don't know how to pronounce or spell and had a hard time even looking it up again so maybe that weird name worked.

On your wip whip, you might want to figure out how to connect the bullets with a triangle mesh from bullet to bullet or maybe a simple spline. That bit of polish would give you a lot of bang for your buck and make your game stand out more.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:16:34 PM by msilver » Logged

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 03:25:48 PM »

ooh. bullet blitz sounds good.

ill give the triangular mesh thing a shot, see what i can do. it sounds simple enough, just a check for a distance between two bullets and creating a coloured triangle between them (?)

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »

Its up to you how you connect the dots, you can make the mesh rectangles by using 2 tris for each connection. I just figured your game engine would have something called a triangle mesh as most engines do. If I were doing it I might make a spline out of the bullets and then iterate over the spline a fixed number of segments representing the whip, so the whip would be 100 triangles or so always.

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 11:15:02 PM »

ah yea. that makes sense.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic