Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:48:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignUnusual features of combat system.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Unusual features of combat system.  (Read 758 times)
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »

We always wanted to create a combat system for 'Ash of Gods' that gives a tactical choice to a player. That is why some skills cost a certain amount of health points to make a player think carefully before using them.
Also any skills can target an enemy’s HP or MP. Thus if you are afraid of an enemy cleric you can try to kill him as fast as possible or just burn his mana and prevent any healing. Also when MP reaches zero any extra damage to MP will instead do double damage to HP. But do not forget that a lot of classes are able to take a defensive stance decreasing incoming damage, and some of them are also able to counterattack.

Want to know more? Check out our website:
https://ashofgods.com/news/new-approach-to-turn-based-strategies/

If you have any questions or would like to suggest anything feel free to comment.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
polisummer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

That sounds really cool actually. I remember the choice of sacrificing HP or MP for certain moves to be in the SMT games (those games are also brutally hard). Maybe you could look at those for balancing ideas?

Join the tigsource discord! https://discord.gg/h6vK8fA
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:53:24 AM »

Can't say I am familiar, will check it out, thank you.

Meanwhile, If you want to try our system yourself - there is a prototype avaiable here http://game.aurumdust.com/
There is no AI yet - so you can play against yourself in 2 tabs or message me so I can fight you.

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
PaulWv2.017
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

I always hate games that have you burn health to use abilities and just avoided those abilities. I don't know if they're the best abilities to use or not and doing the enemy's job for them doesn't seem smart until I played a bit and understand the system. Then once I play a bit and understand the system, I'm perfectly comfortable using the abilities that don't cost health so I never try them.

Electric Boogaloo: "This time it's serious."
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic