Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:51:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMind-Machine Interface: Programming puzzle game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mind-Machine Interface: Programming puzzle game  (Read 684 times)
izark
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2017, 01:46:53 AM »

This game is on Steam Greenlight now. Vote for it if you want it to happen!
There is a demo available and I would be really grateful if you played it and told me what you think about it, possible bugs, improvements, etc.

Steam greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=865316285
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Izarrk

Mind-Machine Interface is a 'programming' puzzle game where you write a program that transform ugly inputs into pretty outputs.

Puzzles are hard and open ended. You create a specific behaviour using functional blocks and wires. The programming part is figurative, since you don´t need any programming knowledge to complete the game. You work with numbers and pixels. Some times you have to duplicate an image, create a bouncing ball program, path finding algorithm, repair a corrupt image, etc.

Everything is set in a futuristic environment and you are an engineer seeking for a job, so you must pass this field aptitude test to qualify.

a-k-
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:17:28 PM »

This is impressive for a one-person game! I've played only a few levels so can't give feedback regarding the challenges, but the underlying model is interesting and the visualization at runtime looks very slick.

My feedback is focused on the current user interface (esp. input method):
  • Adding a line of arrows (e.g. pressing 1 then dragging the mouse) - this is supported only if starting at the center of a cell, but if the cell has any command then this has the side-effect of modifying that command's color/number in addition to adding the arrows. This can never be what the player intends.
  • Minor issues:
    - Hiding the mouse in run mode. This for example prevents adding/removing breakpoints.
    - Misnomers - 'Inverter' changes sign while 'Negator' resets to zero? Also 'null' in the documentation.
    - Ultra-minor: mapping of colors to keys (1-4,6) may be confusing for programmers remembering the CGA palette...

Hope this helps!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic