Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:49:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTilted [Beta] [Android] 2D Real-time Physics Puzzle game based on refraction
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tilted [Beta] [Android] 2D Real-time Physics Puzzle game based on refraction  (Read 762 times)
arcanheim
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:30:17 AM »

Hello Everyone!

I'm from Arcanheim Softworks, an independent game studio based in Pune, India.

I'm new here and this is our first mobile game. Please do play it and give us your valuable feedback.

Tilted

-Summary

Tilted is a unique 2D Physics Puzzle game based on exploration.
You play as a prism navigating its way through crystalline caverns, and solve puzzles by using the laws of reflection and refraction, in a quest for photons and ultimately illuminating the universe, overrun by darkness and other hazards.

-Platform

Currently available on ANDROID - Google Play Store - DOWNLOAD LINK
Coming soon on IOS

-Screenshots

-Gameplay Trailer

-Gameplay/Controls:

Flick to move and overcome various obstacles,
Pinch to rotate the Prism and bend light to activate Portals,
Double tap to drop/pickup images and decrease/increase in size
Complete the level before the darkness takes over.

Thanks in advance!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:37 AM »

I really like it! I like the controls. I love games that require delicate maneuvering and combined with the puzzle elements of the level it works surprisingly well. It forces my mind to work on two scales simultaneously. The current narrow corridor keeps me busy for the moment but I'm also planning on how to lit up the thingie.

What I'm not a huge fan of is time limits. Keep in mind that games with timer appeal to some people but others, like me, become anxious. My point is, I'm not saying timer is inherently bad, (probably nothing is) many games do it, but it is a strong element that will define who wants to play the game.

I like the visuals. The UI looks a little amateurish but it's totally serviceable. One last thing; does it say anywhere in the game that dropping images reduces your size? Because when I read your post here that info went under my radar and I didn't see anywhere in the game. I eventually figured it out by trial and error. It was a great feeling figuring that out but I'm not sure it's a good idea. I almost gave up on the game there.

arcanheim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »

Hey diegzumillo, it was nice to hear from you. Thanks for your valuable feedback. (Loved Apple and Worm - Very innovative mechanics).

What I'm not a huge fan of is time limits. Keep in mind that games with timer appeal to some people but others, like me, become anxious. My point is, I'm not saying timer is inherently bad, (probably nothing is) many games do it, but it is a strong element that will define who wants to play the game.
I agree with you as I feel the same way about timers. But we wanted to add replayability in the levels by adding level specific challenges to complete, which we felt could be accomplished if the gamer had limited time in game. What do you think about this approach?

The UI looks a little amateurish but it's totally serviceable.
Yes, we were still using UI from Alpha. Tongue  We are working on this currently.

One last thing; does it say anywhere in the game that dropping images reduces your size?
We felt this problem arise alot while playtesting with some casual gamers - they were not able to figure it out. Right now, we have placed this information as a "hint" on the loading screen, which I'm not very happy with.
We cannot decide on the placement of this key piece of information as a tutorial or leave it as a hint, because personally I'm not very fond of long tutorials. Any suggestions?

I almost gave up on the game there.
We did not notice some players drop out after a few levels. Sad Any suggestions for improving the player engagement in game?
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 04:59:38 AM »

What do you think about this approach?

I think it makes sense. Timer makes me solve the level with the first solution I can find, which could make me want to come back to explore other alternatives. However, games with puzzle elements usually have little replayability to begin with. So I'd think carefully if any measures to increase replayability are really worth it, as they could be compromising other things.

We felt this problem arise alot while playtesting with some casual gamers - they were not able to figure it out. Right now, we have placed this information as a "hint" on the loading screen, which I'm not very happy with.
We cannot decide on the placement of this key piece of information as a tutorial or leave it as a hint, because personally I'm not very fond of long tutorials. Any suggestions?

All I can think is a very linear level made to teach that mechanic. Like a narrow corridor separated with bottle necks increasingly smaller. At the opposite side the portal to leave the level and at starting side a laser that is not aligned with the portal. Then the player needs to leave an image to redirect the laser to the next room (still won't reach the portal but it's literally the only thing he/she can do). And now he's just small enough to get to the next room, where he will be forced to do the same thing he did earlier.

It's an idea, but I can see why it's hard to do and how you probably thought about something like this before. The size reduction is almost imperceptible, to the point where one single image drop might not be the difference between getting stuck or not in a tiny passage. You could fix that by either making this long corridor a circular corridor, forcing two image drops, or by making image drop reduce the size a little more. The second approach would be my choice, but you might have a whole bunch of levels already made that would break with a change in basic mechanic like that.

Any suggestions for improving the player engagement in game?

Not really. I was actually engaged. It was finding that mechanic so soon in the game that made me almost quit, so that could explain your data. Then I stopped because the timer finally got the best of me lol.

Overall, my understanding of player engagement is very superficial. I get the basic idea, but when then I see some mobile games that are borderline addictive and I realize I know nothing about it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic