Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:12:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioHow do you manage audio assets in Game Maker
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How do you manage audio assets in Game Maker  (Read 722 times)
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »

I'm currently working on sfx for a game maker project and I'm completely lost as to how to comfortably manage them in game maker.
What I usually do with unity projects is I bounce them and then adjust and mix them in Unity's editor play mode.
With game maker, however, if I want to see if 2 or more sounds synergize well at current volumes, I have to start the game and then play up to that point (which always takes up to 30-60 seconds) and then double click on them and adjust that weird volume slider for each sound individually.
Is there any better solution to manage your audio in game maker projects? What's your strategy?
cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

I think you can set up audio groups in Game Maker, correct me if I'm wrong

Another suggestion, although it might be overkill, would be to use a middle ware like Wwise to manage audio?

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:02:04 PM »

Audio Groups might be worth having a look at. They are covered in the gm docs, at least - so they definitely are a thing. I'll have a closer look at them.

Afaik Wwise is not officially supported. However, I just did a quick google search and found out there's indeed a community project for wwise support in game maker. I didn't know that. I never felt the need to do so in Unity, but in this case using wwise might be a good alternative to game maker.
cynicus
Level 0

hey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »

I've never used Wwise in Game Maker, so I have no personal experience with how it runs in Unity or UE, I was only aware of the community made thing for it, so you'll have to let us all know how that goes if you choose that path  Coffee

Sound is my kinda thing
Portfolio | Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic