Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:30:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignQUESTION | Puzzle game lovers, what do you look for in a game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: QUESTION | Puzzle game lovers, what do you look for in a game?  (Read 665 times)
Arzola
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:25:46 PM »

Good day everyone, I am an aspiring game developer that wishes to get some feedback on what defines as great the puzzle games you love.

If you could leave your opinion by answering any of the following questions it would really be appreciated:

What do you like about puzzle games? What made this genre stand out for you?
    What do you HATE about puzzle games? Is there any trend or mechanic you wish that came to an end?
    When purchasing new puzzle games, what do you look in them? What are your criteria or how do you look for something to meet your standards?
    How often do you buy or play puzzle games? Or what sets the mood for you to go look for something new to play?
    Do you prefer premium (paid in advance) or freemium (micro-transaction based) titles?
    How often does a new title that meets your standards appear? Why do you think that is the case?
    And finally, is there any mood or feeling you think that you look to get into while playing a puzzle game?

Once again, answering any of these questions can surely help a lot, so thank you very much in advance.
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 02:16:50 AM »

What do you like about puzzle games? What made this genre stand out for you? I've always loved logic puzzles as a time-killer or as something to do to wind down, they relax me. A key benefit is the ability to jump in/out quickly so that if I want to play for only 30 seconds, I still could, so long as I'm already familiar with the rules. For this reason it's pretty much exclusively mobile/tablet for me - I don't tend to play puzzles on my PC.
What do you HATE about puzzle games? Is there any trend or mechanic you wish that came to an end? Inefficiency. There are gonna be a lot of similar puzzles that I should be able to complete at my own pace, and if that pace is fast, anything which is clunky or takes too much time gets noticed and adds frustration. Too much frustration and I'll find my puzzles somewhere else. Also, puzzles which require too much pure guesswork; I want to be able to reach the solution through pure logic and deduction alone, even if its really hard.
When purchasing new puzzle games, what do you look in them? What are your criteria or how do you look for something to meet your standards? It has to either offer a mechanic/puzzle I've not seen before, or be a really polished/slick/appealing version of something I already enjoy. That, or just sheer volume of puzzles offered - I have an iOS app which has thousands of puzzles across dozens of types, and I keep coming back to it because of it, and its simple UI, even if it is a bit unappealing to look at.
How often do you buy or play puzzle games? Or what sets the mood for you to go look for something new to play? I don't  buy new games often, I tend to spend more frequently on buying more packs/content for apps I already own and enjoy, particularly when they were free to download and I've got a lot of use out of them. I tend to try and view fullscreen ads on those games for the same reason, when offered. I also play several times a week, sometimes only for a few minutes but I've also had sessions lasting hours.
Do you prefer premium (paid in advance) or freemium (micro-transaction based) titles? Freemium, but mostly because I'm stingy with games I don't know/trust yet. I'm much more likely to buy extra content, or premium games of devs I already know.
How often does a new title that meets your standards appear? Why do you think that is the case? Rarely, but I don't tend to be actively looking for new ones. Though I do browse the app store regularly just to see if anything catches my eye, and I try out free games/demos regularly.
And finally, is there any mood or feeling you think that you look to get into while playing a puzzle game? Relaxed. I'm playing to unwind or to pass time.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic