Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:54:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessUsing existing brand names in marketing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Using existing brand names in marketing  (Read 666 times)
tjcbs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »

I am considering describing my game as "Real time RiskĀ© in space" in marketing materials.

The intent is a shortcut to give people an immediate idea of the gameplay mechanics. From what I understand, non-disparaging comparisons to other brands is acceptable, at least in the US. But of course, the devil is in the details.

Is this likely to land me in legal trouble?

teemuki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »

Not sure about the legal point of view, but I'd recommend you to explain your game mechanics with your own words instead of comparing it to an existing game. Using other games name in your marketing material might draw attention away from your product. Try to summarize it to make it short and easy to understand. It'll also be more interesting.

I.e. "Risk is a strategy board game of diplomacy, conflict and conquest for two to six players."

Couldn't you say that your game is about "diplomacy, conflict and conquest in space"? Well again, use your own words.
Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »

The Risk trademark is owned by Hasbro, and Hasbro is one of the more aggressive trademark defenders around. I wouldn't do it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic