Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:21:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFluster: 2D Flash Platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fluster: 2D Flash Platformer  (Read 2214 times)
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »

Hey everyone today JZ and I finished the beta for Fluster. We have been working on this game for about a month now with the intent to enter it into a few contests such as the 2Bee Game Contest and PAX 10. I want to thank all of you who played the game before and gave such great feedback, without your help this game would have really sucked so thanks!!

Anyway, click below to play and feel free to leave some more feedback.

I hope you enjoy the game, and if you do consider sharing it with a friend or co-worker, it'd mean a lot to us.

Cheers  Beer!

My site: Spotted Zebra
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »

1. F, D, and spacebar is a really really ugly control combination. Use ASD, or migrate jump to the up arrow.

2. You dont jump high enough to get the key
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:03:58 AM »

1. F, D, and spacebar is a really really ugly control combination. Use ASD, or migrate jump to the up arrow.

I've heard in many places that arrow keys + space bar are the "classic" configuration, is the problem adding the F/D keys?

Can you elaborate? Do you mean the first key? I take it then it wasn't clear how to get to it?

Thanks for your feedback!

Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »

I've heard in many places that arrow keys + space bar are the "classic" configuration, is the problem adding the F/D keys?

Can you elaborate? Do you mean the first key? I take it then it wasn't clear how to get to it?

Thanks for your feedback!

1. Ya arrows and spacebar are ok in some situations but F and D just make it feel cramped. Nevermind I'm on a laptop too. But ya UP generally feels a lot nicer as a jump key, or have both assuming up isnt used for anything else.

2. I took another look and didnt realize the clock was walkable. Played through the demo. Didn't feel too interesting, and it was confusing as to what was a surface and what wasn't, especially with the trap doors and stuff
aschearer
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »

Thanks for clarifying. You've touched on a couple of the common criticisms with the game, I wish I had had more time to work through some of them. As to the controls I can certainly enable jumping via UP or Space to fit a gamer's tastes, good idea.

Curseman
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 01:00:43 PM »

I think that the biggest problem is that it's not entirely clear what's what in the game.  It isn't immediately apparent that the player can jump on the clock towards the beginning, and while the player should be able to tell that they can't jump on the spiked enemies, they have no reason to believe that they can't suck them into the vacuum cleaner.

I couldn't get past the part shortly after you see the moose head up on the wall.  There was a jump I couldn't make and I didn't see anything to use as a go-between.

I have to agree with what was said earlier - that F, D, and spacebar makes for awkward controls.

Anyway, the vacuuming idea is interesting, and the character's expression being used as a life meter is cool.
Innerscope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:05:04 PM »

Cool game man! I was kinda hoping for a boss battle at the last part, but you did mention this is a beta.  Beer!

Same criticisms as everyone else:
keys - I think using up and space would be good for the jump too.
platforms - some of the background/non-interactive stuff is almost indistinguishable from the objects/interactive stuff. (maybe add more obvious contrast? brightness, colors, patterns, idk)
enemies - when you're walking and using the vacuum to suck up the enemy, if they're walking away from you, you'll get hit.

I felt the very end of the demo was the most interesting part for me. (a love interest? a main villain?)
I'm hoping you'll include some back story in the intro/title screen. (i'd kinda assume so)
Anyway, good job, I'd like to see how this turns out!   Grin:handthumbsupR:

Current Project: Wizard's Pie (iOS)
Future Project: Maiden Days (iOS)
Other Stuff: Blog
 & Web Site (Under Construction)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »

I like it, but it's not entirely clear what I'm supposed to be trying to do. (The goal, in other words.) Also, the music (which I liked at first) gets kind of grating after a while.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic