Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:26:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mashup scrap graphics?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mashup scrap graphics?  (Read 1687 times)
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »

Have you scrapped a half finished game, ever, and mashed graphical stuff of it into a new game?

How did it turn out? Did it not harmonize with the newer style, or was the result an awesomefull diversity? Show screenshots if you wanna!

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »

TBH no.
I'm still working on my first game.
Though I find that on this project, styles seem to change over time. I guess it depends on what your goals are and what your working towards. I myself would never put different styles together. They most likely never look good and the end result is a load of crap.

Though many people do. I've seen so many programmers reuse old art materials, mostly due to lack of knowledge when it comes to median.

none of this helps  Shrug
oh well
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:37:04 PM »

Sometimes. Mostly I recycle concepts, but sometimes graphics merge with them.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »

I've done this with music several times.  It seems like the World of Goo folks did this as well.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 04:35:02 AM »

Yeah, sort of. When I got my first computer and before I learned any programming, I did a bunch of sprites for a shoot-em-up game... A few years later I tried to create the game but didn't get very far; http://hem.passagen.se/px/software/games/talix.html

Anyway, a few years later still I made a quick arcade game for use in the university pub and re-used the graphics. Not very pretty but still. http://www.ekermo.se/index.php?title=14
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »

I've done this with music several times.

I'd say that's a good idea, it's a waste to throw music away (depending on how much time it took). Though sometimes a new game has a distinct visual theme so the music kinda needs to suit it.

Anyway, a few years later still I made a quick arcade game for use in the university pub and re-used the graphics. Not very pretty but still. http://www.ekermo.se/index.php?title=14

Even if I like the faster appearance of Talix (small screen & scrolling), the realistic backgrounds in the newer Trial makes the whole thing look more appealing, for example the turtle ships above the earth look awesome compared to before, it suits them like they're defending their earth. Mighty.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic