Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:51:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeForum Game! Post your favorite "press start" intro screens!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Forum Game! Post your favorite "press start" intro screens!  (Read 4715 times)
Yannic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 01, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »

Heyo!

We all know them, "press start to continue" screens at the start of almost every console game ever. These days mostly used for quickly getting information on what controller our current player is using, among others.

http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/14182/what-is-the-purpose-of-a-press-start-screen

Here's one from NFS Pro Street:

And Mario 64:

I've not meddled much in console games personally, PS2 when I was a kid and Wii a short bit later, but these simple start screens are fascinating to me. They set a mood from the get go, and act as gatekeepers between our world and the world we're about to immerse ourselves in. They're one final check before we go down the rabbit hole.

Anyway, forum game: Post your favorite "press start" screen! And perhaps even think about it, and explain why!

I'd love to see what you guys come up with!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:34:03 AM »

Journey!

Gets right to it. Shows the main landmark of the game, in-game, with minimal UI for settings. Then just starts with a very short cutscene that shows the logo and eases right into the gameplay without cutting. And then at the end of the game, the credits animation ends up right back where the game started.

The only thing I'd improve would be to move the camera into to the cutscene without a cut instead of just transitioning into a completely new cut, which makes it slightly less cool then it could've been. That's how I'm imagining the start of a game I'm working on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:51:26 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »

I couldn't find an animated version, but it's really cool to watch these guys duke it out in real-time at the start screen of Riki Kunio:

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »

Technically, this isn't Pony Island's actual start menu, but the game begins with this "start menu" that doesn't work properly and has bizarre, demonic error sounds.  It's an easy problem to solve, but it establishes the tone for the entire game that follows and really stood out to me.

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 05:05:15 AM »

Dragon Age Inquisition has an interesting start screen where the mages are marching on one side of the screen and the Templars are marching on the other side and when you hit start a blast of green energy (from the rift) sends them all flying off the screen. What I like about the intro is that even if you really knew nothing about what the game was about the intro clues you in on the major conflicts and plot points that will be illuminated as the game progresses.

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »

I always liked this one, though OoT is probably overrated:

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic