Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:58:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLooking for Feedback on Gameplay Trailer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for Feedback on Gameplay Trailer  (Read 4225 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2017, 07:38:59 AM »

It currently has no audio, but the gameplay concepts displayed aren't reliant on that, and that's what I'm most concerned with.

https://gamingobservatory.com/projects/numcode/secret/

I don't want to say much prior to anyone watching it, other than the fact that its more of a primer than a full elaboration of game mechanics. The end goal is to use something like this for Greenlight, and any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »

I just updated the trailer in the link. Tried to make it a little snappier with the pace.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »

I think I have a basic idea of the objective of the game but, where do the numbers come from? It does look interesting but it's hard to tell what's going on. And you could really use some more satisfying visual feedback than just an X becoming a checkmark when you complete a puzzle.

Also you could really use some ambient music to go with that gameplay (not to mention some sound effects as feedback for clicking things), and boy do I know just the composer for you
https://soundcloud.com/sophie-pineapple-kirschner/we-fall-down
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »

I think I have a basic idea of the objective of the game but, where do the numbers come from? It does look interesting but it's hard to tell what's going on. And you could really use some more satisfying visual feedback than just an X becoming a checkmark when you complete a puzzle.
Obviously its not explained in the trailer, but you hover over a slot and then press the corresponding number on the keyboard to fill it in. I'll obviously explain the game in greater detail in the game description, but for the trailer I was going for an implied visual explanation. Maybe it didn't work as well as I thought it would. As for the rest of the mechanics, things are still WIP.

Also you could really use some ambient music to go with that gameplay (not to mention some sound effects as feedback for clicking things), and boy do I know just the composer for you
https://soundcloud.com/sophie-pineapple-kirschner/we-fall-down
Thanks, but I already have a composer. I'm just trying to finalize the trailer footage before I have him do up music for it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Salicornia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 01:00:42 AM »

Hi,

I would suggest to forget about the keyboard input and make it a click&slide game. Numbers would have to be selected, then put into the proper case.

And the demo would be self explanatory.

Salicornia

Il n'est pas nécessaire d'espérer pour entreprendre.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »

Hi,

I would suggest to forget about the keyboard input and make it a click&slide game. Numbers would have to be selected, then put into the proper case.

And the demo would be self explanatory.

I had actually thought of implementing some kind of "drag & drop" mechanic. I might just have to implement that and see how it works. Thanks!
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 07:46:54 PM »

The keyboard thing was the only thing I couldn't figure out. Once it was clear you were pressing keys it made sense. This looks like it would be fun on mobile so I didn't think the keyboard was in play.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:59:15 AM »

I actually tweaked the game to make the number-mechanic more intuitive. The final version of the trailer is now up on Youtube and my Greenlight page:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=880851449
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:08:02 PM »

Voted, good luck!

Resonator
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 11:14:54 PM »

Very few people will sit through this trailer to parse out its message, much less the game mechanics.

Your trailer will need to express the goal clearly, and probably need to do it with cute characters.  You'll need to animate a few rounds of the goal being achieved, sesame street style, with implied mechanics.  And then demonstrate failure and correction.  You should try to achieve conveying the meaning before dressing it up with style and cuteness.

This isn't easy with the abstraction you're dealing with, but it can be done.  Good luck.

Check out my game Anew: The Distant Light
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 03:41:26 AM »

listen to rez, he speaks sense
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:08:41 PM »

Your trailer will need to express the goal clearly, and probably need to do it with cute characters.  You'll need to animate a few rounds of the goal being achieved, sesame street style, with implied mechanics.  And then demonstrate failure and correction.  You should try to achieve conveying the meaning before dressing it up with style and cuteness.
Can you be more specific about what isn't expressed clearly? The changes to the more recent trailer were supposed to clear some of that up, but it sounds like I'm still missing something.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic