Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:02:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLe Grand Mystère - A Lighthearted Detective Game
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Le Grand Mystère - A Lighthearted Detective Game  (Read 10392 times)
Canned Turkey
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »

Tired

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 05:22:07 AM by Eden (Canned Turkey) » Logged
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 05:34:47 PM »

if seedy characters don't use the pun "curiosity killed the cat" attempting to dissuade Ms. Catt from her investigation at least four times in this game I will be gravely disappointed in you
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »

UM YES

Canned Turkey
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »

@Pineapple
Animal relevant puns will be abound, never fear.

@rj™
UM YOU'RE WELCOME ALSO SORRY ABOUT PLANET TOAD THAT ISN'T LIKE BEING LEFT TO DIE IT'S SIMPLY ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Working on menu functionality, added big grass bundles, room transitioning works from any 'door' to any given room coordinate, and added a pause screen.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »

Presenting evidence now works in full, the menus are basically done.
The inventory works, any evidence you collect around town will be added to the top of your list.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »

any way to sort it? if not all good, but i'm sure we're all aware of Late Game Ace Attorney Binder Fatigue

Canned Turkey
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »

Speaking of Ace Attorney, I still need to play that series all the way through.

Although the UI is helpful and easy to understand, the gameplay will center on the player following leads themselves, with no guide of any kind, other than automatic notes written on the map so you don't forget your objective between play sessions.

The evidence menu will be plaintext with no sorting or management, in the hopes that players will trend more torwards "I have item A that should support my case", as opposed to looking through the menu just clicking on every item until they have selected the correct one in a sort of brute force playstyle. Also, if you select the wrong evidence on a non-essential string of clues, the character will be confused and the menu will close. But some leads will be labeled essential, and if you mess it up more than once, it will change the characters attitude torwards you and may even close off a string of leads.

Basically, it's a puzzle game with a maze of logical locked doors and keys, the keys are free and easy to come by, but the player needs to discern which keys go to which doors, as each door could possibly lock permanently if the wrong key is used. There will of course be a long harshly worded path for the bumbling player who presents evidence willy nilly, but that will be the "worst ending", with the "best ending" being perfect mystery solving, and two or three other endings in between.

I really want to have a game that is easy/fun to make while being challenging/fun to play, and I feel that my plan will work out to that.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 05:35:54 PM »

Good luck dude, looks cute. I've found designing investigation/detective games the way you're describing is a design black hole and everything either ends up too simple or too obscure or you gotta write sooooo much extra stuff. I look forward to how you figure it out. Beer!

Canned Turkey
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »

From what I can tell, I won't have very much wasted content for each playthrough, just different paths of dialogue through the same content. After I write the story out, I will map the player decision tree. The only black hole I can see currently is the one that is going to suck up all my time while I sort out the characters and setting and plot. I do love writing but game writing and mystery writing are two weak points for me, I hope I can overcome the initial hump so there's some nice content to show besides just plans and words.
wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:58:47 PM »

Looks good! I'm a big fan of mystery games and Ace Attorney so this seems like my cup of tea! Following!
Canned Turkey
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:15:43 AM »

Thank you! I hope to continue offering your cup of tea.

Added a popup menu for picking up a piece of evidence, all the technical mumbo jumbo (besides a rigorous save system) is now done, the next bit of work is plot/story/world writing.
Luno
Level 1

now comes good sailing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »

notify enabled! ^^

Canned Turkey
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:00 PM »

Thank you! That really means a lot coming from you when Year In The Trees is such a beautiful game.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 04:56:51 PM »

Thank you all for the very nice replies! I have been working on designs and stuff here and there, but writing is hard for me so I've been working mainly on coming up with story ideas, I've had quite a few but one hasn't really stuck yet. I will keep grinding away at the creative process.

Story aside, the setting and style and time-period (Post-industry pre-modern) have all been finalized. I have a lot of references compiled, for the town, here are a few good ones.

The style of the town the game takes place in will be an old town on the coast of France, with a lighthouse, a forest, a countryside, a graveyard, and a "vacant" castle, church, thing. Le Mont-Saint-Michel is the a huge reference, the "abandoned" abbey underside and the "empty" guarded castle section will be central to the story.

This two images are the most like what the game is looking like in my head, minus everything just outside the town.

WIP map layout.

Sorry for the boring update, next time I'll have some more of the actual game to show Smiley

POST EDIT: Okay it's like a manor castle now because that fits the story a bit better :3
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:50:54 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
TheWanderingBen
Level 1

Making Games Around the Globe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »

Just seeing this now. I love mystery games -- excited to see more!

Posting to follow, best of luck  Toast Right

Canned Turkey
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

Thanks Ben Smiley

Working on writing my own music, I may or may not stay with the SNES/GBA 24-bit style, but I feel I've at least found a strong melody for the overture.

https://soundcloud.com/cannedturkey/main-theme

I definitely am wanting to take inspiration from Professor Layton for music, the French influences and heavy violin are very fitting for a mystery game, I just hope I can make something worth not muting Embarrassed My brother usually makes music for my projects, I play the piano but I am not much of a composer. Here's hoping my music stands up to the bar that's been set.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:25:27 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 04:18:51 AM »

i love runescape

utkiupe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2017, 02:07:35 AM »

it seems promising.
you said game and mystery writting is a weak point for you, but what about having other writers helping you with that? I mean, not doing it for you, but helping you in that process. For example I am animating a workshop at the scenarists festival of Valence (It's in France, not Valencia in Spain Smiley with another experimented writer. And it is really helpful for these writers to share their story having feedback from us and from the other writers on the workshop.
anyway, I hope you can share more soon on your project (^_^)

I make games at Kiupe // check our future game: Eiwee - a game about playing and learning music
Canned Turkey
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »

@rj
Never played it myself, the music does actually sound similar, I will keep that in mind to avoid sounding too much like that.

@utkiupe
I am definitely looking for help with writing, but the issue is not writing dialogue and characters and moving the story forward, but really the premise. Premise in story writing is the hardest part for me, and having the constraints of it being a mystery, set in a specific location, and that the story has to be moved forward by a long string of clues (as opposed to how I usually write where the story is moved forward by character decisions), makes it sort of a roadblock for me. I have been talking with my friends who I know are deeper into writing than I am, and I've compiled a lot of good ideas. Right now I'm just brainstorming and waiting for one to eventually click as "the story".
utkiupe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 03:24:24 AM »

I'd love to read more about this topic when you have more to tell Smiley

I make games at Kiupe // check our future game: Eiwee - a game about playing and learning music
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic